Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fork pitting

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:00 AM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2015 after some talk with a local dear replaced under warranty. I paid the difference for black.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:00 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
That is a complete failure of the finish ... Well if that were the case it would happen all around the leg, not just on the front/primary side ... a little bit of common sense here ... While it is ( somewhat ) true that the finish isn't doing it's job any longer, it is a direct result of the environment that the scooter is/was operated in ... plain and simple.
Not that simple. If that were the case, all lowers exposed to the same environment would show the same damage/deterioration.

The finish is, as another poster said, a thin, cheap-*** Chinese paint.

It is absolutely true that exposing it to road grit will cause this, because the finish on some bikes is either too thinly applied, or the finish is of low quality, or both.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:44 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,169 Posts

I said this in another thread on this subject. You would think, and I know this is a stretch, that after all these years, the MoCo would have come up with something better. They have to know this is an issue because they are and have been replacing them under warranty. Even if they don't want to come up with something better for their customers, you would think the bean counters would look at this as an opportunity to curb warranty costs. They can't be that stupid, can they?

The following users liked this post:
sws1111 (02-14-2020)
Old 10-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,784 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Not that simple. If that were the case, all lowers exposed to the same environment would show the same damage/deterioration.

The finish is, as another poster said, a thin, cheap-*** Chinese paint.

It is absolutely true that exposing it to road grit will cause this, because the finish on some bikes is either too thinly applied, or the finish is of low quality, or both.
Pretty much is that simple ... and the problem is pervasive throughout the industry regardless of the brand ... Over a period of time it will happen to all of them given exposure to the same exposure ... I've been riding for over 50 years and have refinished lower legs countless times on HD's , British and Japanese scooters ...

Old 10-15-2017, 10:56 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I said this in another thread on this subject. You would think, and I know this is a stretch, that after all these years, the MoCo would have come up with something better. They have to know this is an issue because they are and have been replacing them under warranty. Even if they don't want to come up with something better for their customers, you would think the bean counters would look at this as an opportunity to curb warranty costs. They can't be that stupid, can they?
No, they can't. And they're not. They're actually pretty smart.

They continue to put **** finish on the lowers, and save a ton of money, because only a small portion of owners will actually think to file a warranty claim.

So, it's a win.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:07 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

No, they can't. And they're not. They're actually pretty smart.

They continue to put **** finish on the lowers, and save a ton of money, because only a small portion of owners will actually think to file a warranty claim.

So, it's a win.
Well, that's conjecture on your part. You have no way of knowing how much the MoCo spends on the coating or how many lower fork warranty claims they've honored. Good try, though.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:11 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,738 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Or for $90 you can buy a pair of new lower take offs on ebay. No shortage of them.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:12 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Well, that's conjecture on your part. You have no way of knowing how much the MoCo spends on the coating or how many lower fork warranty claims they've honored. Good try, though.
There are two possible explanations:

1. They've done the tracking, and have verified that they're saving more money on cheap finishes on the lowers than they're paying out in warranty claims.

2. They're stupid.

Pick the one you like.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:17 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

There are two possible explanations:

1. They've done the tracking, and have verified that they're saving more money on cheap finishes on the lowers than they're paying out in warranty claims.

2. They're stupid.

Pick the one you like.
Actually, there are other possibilities. My favorite is that they just don't give a ****.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:19 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a spray can of Plastidip, Matt black, masked off everything that wasn't a fork lower, and put three layers on. Looked great, and lasted about three years, and then it was dinged up, so I peeled it off and did it again. Peeled the new coats off agin before I traded it in.

Quick Reply: Front fork pitting