Sponsored by:

Since We're Talking Cams, I Would Appreciate Some Input

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:40 PM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Since We're Talking Cams, I Would Appreciate Some Input

Since there seems to be some rather informative cam talk lately, I am also looking at doing cams this winter.

I have a 2015 Ultra Classic Low. It is the air-cooled model. I already have installed FM stainless header & jackpot dyno-tuned mufflers, FM billet intake, tuned with powervision. The motor is otherwise stock, the air cooled HO103 runs 9.7:1 compression.

I am looking for more passing power on the highway, a more "oomph" in city traffic, and a little more pull through the woodland twisties. I typically run between 1,800 - 3,500 RPM, and don't like going over 4,000 if I can avoid it. I am not planning (nor budgeting) to modify the motor any further. I quite happy with the way my bike runs, I just want the torque curved pulled down (and increased) into my normal riding range.

Like many people on the boards, I was thinking SE255. However, everything I have read seems like it is just too similar to the stock HO cams to make it worth the expense. Speaking to the "speed shop" at my local dealership, their guy suggest the SE211. HoI can't find a damn thing about that cam in anything recent. The last guy I emailed with from an indie shop is recommending the TW-222 or TW-777.

At this point, I'm thinking the TW-222. But I really want to understand what I can expect out of it before forking out the time & money.

I appreciate any input and advice. There is just SOOOO much information, it gets a little overwhelming.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

I've ran the SE 211 and it's not a bad cam...just not what I wanted. If I remember correctly it had pretty fair low end torque. As for the choice between the TW222 and the 777's, go with the 222's. They are suppose to be bolt in cams and should give you a nice bump. The 777's like compression and if you are not going to do any other mods you won't get the most out of them. I'm running the 777's with 10.5 compression and ported heads and see 100tq at 2200 rpm just for example.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Andrews 48s are working well in my Ultra. ~2300 to 4000+ works real well and it grunts out of lower rpms pretty well. No headwork, Mach ll AC, Hi-Output with full size cross over and a good tune.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Mr D
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
Since there seems to be some rather informative cam talk lately, I am also looking at doing cams this winter.

I have a 2015 Ultra Classic Low. It is the air-cooled model. I already have installed FM stainless header & jackpot dyno-tuned mufflers, FM billet intake, tuned with powervision. The motor is otherwise stock, the air cooled HO103 runs 9.7:1 compression.

I am looking for more passing power on the highway, a more "oomph" in city traffic, and a little more pull through the woodland twisties. I typically run between 1,800 - 3,500 RPM, and don't like going over 4,000 if I can avoid it. I am not planning (nor budgeting) to modify the motor any further. I quite happy with the way my bike runs, I just want the torque curved pulled down (and increased) into my normal riding range.

Like many people on the boards, I was thinking SE255. However, everything I have read seems like it is just too similar to the stock HO cams to make it worth the expense. Speaking to the "speed shop" at my local dealership, their guy suggest the SE211. HoI can't find a damn thing about that cam in anything recent. The last guy I emailed with from an indie shop is recommending the TW-222 or TW-777.

At this point, I'm thinking the TW-222. But I really want to understand what I can expect out of it before forking out the time & money.

I appreciate any input and advice. There is just SOOOO much information, it gets a little overwhelming.
*Couple things here....Based on your goals & riding style, The stock Rushmore cam when properly tuned is a tough "buck" to beat with a good exhaust which you already have.
**The SE 255 profile is no where like the Rushmore cam, better to be had that's available, but not similar.
***The recommendation of the SE 211 as a "bolt in", You won't be a happy camper... needs 10.5 compression to shine.. it has it's place, just not here as a "bolt in" application only.
****What you're looking to accomplish, I'd look at the TTS 100, Andrews 48, Cycle Rama 570-2...power band comes in early, holds linear power higher & further than the above mentioned. Most riders ride a bike that's over cam'd, see it day in, day out.. & the tune is key too.

The following users liked this post:
VinceTheArchitect (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D
*Couple things here....Based on your goals & riding style, The stock Rushmore cam when properly tuned is a tough "buck" to beat with a good exhaust which you already have.
**The SE 255 profile is no where like the Rushmore cam, better to be had that's available, but not similar.
***The recommendation of the SE 211 as a "bolt in", You won't be a happy camper... needs 10.5 compression to shine.. it has it's place, just not here as a "bolt in" application only.
****What you're looking to accomplish, I'd look at the TTS 100, Andrews 48, Cycle Rama 570-2...power band comes in early, holds linear power higher & further than the above mentioned. Most riders ride a bike that's over cam'd, see it day in, day out.. & the tune is key too.
You are right. I had forgot that I had 10.5 pistons in when I ran the 211's. Good catch.

The following users liked this post:
Mr D (10-21-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 06:59 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D
Most riders ride a bike that's over cam'd, see it day in, day out.. & the tune is key too.
Yup. They want that lope sound so they pick a cam based on that when the heads are not set up for it. Stock heads only flow so much and only have so much compression. There are a quite a few cams designed to work for stock heads. TTS 100 CR 570 Andrews 48-57...... woods 222 etc

Last edited by todd-67; 10-22-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:52 PM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

OK.... after a TON of reading, I think to answer is either TW-222 or Andrews 48. I especially like what Mr.D said about the Andrew 48 power coming early and staying. FM is suggesting the 222

This is considering that I really don't want to do more engine work; I run under 4k 95% of the time; and have the lower (9.7:1) compression, air cooled motor.

I'm hoping to get install set up over halloween while I'm out of town.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:14 PM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have yet to see a cam that performs as well as the Cyclerama 570-2

Attached Thumbnails Since We're Talking Cams, I Would Appreciate Some Input-103-570-2-.jpg  
Old 10-27-2017, 05:30 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Go to fuelmoto and look at the dyno charts they have. Not really much to gain by doing cams. I wish I seen the charts before I did cams because ,for the money you really don’t gain much. If I was to do it all over ,I would have some head work done and go from there as far as cams go.
You should get more out of the 222 or the tts100.

Last edited by rsking45; 10-27-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:27 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

If you do the TW-222/-777 they can send you a map already to go for your bike. No dyno tune needed. Will save you 400 bucks. Talk to Jamie@fuelmoto since you already have their headpipe, mufflers, tuner and air cleaner.

Quick Reply: Since We're Talking Cams, I Would Appreciate Some Input