Sponsored by:

Chasing Down Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Chasing Down Strange Noise

2014 SGS, stock de-catted header and shields. 16,000 miles.
I've been hearing this noise for 4-5000 miles or so. Trying to figure out what is causing it. Even tougher to explain the sound I'm hearing but here it goes.

Sounds like it comes from the front of the motor (forward cylinder) or from the forward part of the primary cover. Quiet at and idle and only lasts for a second or less when I apply heavy quick throttle at 50-65 mph, it will do it in 5th and 6th gears. It sounds like Sister Mary Catherine's finger nail sliding down a chalk board, or like a dry bearing high pitched squeal. I removed the exhaust shield from the front pipe, didn't go away. Unbolted the entire header and re-tightened trying to maintain a no bind, neutral header fitment, did not go away. Raised the bike on my stand, took off the calipers and checked the front wheel bearings, they are nice and quiet with no side to side play that I can see. Checked the front motor mounts for damage, loosened up the mounts and re-tightened them as well with no change. I run only Shell or Marathon 93 octane fuel.Changed new HD spark plugs a few thousand miles ago, and inspected the spark plug wires for damage. (I have a tank lift so lots of clearance on the wiring)
Motor seems pretty quite as far as valve noises, I fact seems for the most part, it is much quieter than my buddies 103 when comparing the two. I can make it happen anytime I want to with a normal warmed up motor. I don't attempt to do it when the motor is cold......just wouldn't feel it would do the engine any good when it cold.

Normally cruising for a 200-300 mile ride if I don't crank on it hard it is fine. Can cruise at 75-85 mph at a steady throttle is all is normal.
Just asking to see if anyone else has run into this. Did several searches but found any others talking about what I think I'm hearing.
Have never pulled of the primary cover but have changed oils in all three holes at the 1000mile mark. Then do all three holes and oil filter at every 3000-3500 miles. Haven't found any shavings or peices in the oils.
It doesn't act like a clutch slipping in that the RPM's don't just run wild during the time the noise is heard.

Requires heavy, fast , quick full throttle to load the drive train and engine to cause it. Like when you are in 5th gear at 55 mph and crank on it to pass a semi, or at 65mph doing the same thing.

Could the primary chain be hitting the inside of the case, or something loose in there?
Simply by not stressing the drive train, all is good.
Thanks

Last edited by Bodacious MC; 10-20-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:25 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Shot in the dark here, how about intake reversion.
Try taking your air cleaner off for just a single test and see if the noise goes away at high load/RPM.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

It occurs within a second of hard full roll on, and only lasts for a second or less.
I will pull the Air Filter and try that. Although the air filter housing is stock and cleaned at the last oil change.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:05 PM
TXPHNDL
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Fuel pump or injectors possible? Sounds like it's dependent on drawing a lot of air or fuel.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:50 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

Interesting, Fuel was never a suspect in my thinking.
It sounds mechanical to me. Like two metals making contact. Maybe I should load a different tune in my PV?

Old 10-21-2017, 09:36 PM
motoXjoe
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the primary chain either too loose (not auto adjusting) or a plate going. Maybe time for a Baker Attitude adjuster. Take it to the dealer and let a mechanic take her for a spin. I've read about bad clutch basket bearing or springs on some early models.
Good luck.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:10 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

primary chain or front motor mount. look at the two blots holding the top motor mount on the head.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

Originally Posted by hardheaded
primary chain or front motor mount. look at the two blots holding the top motor mount on the head.
The motor mount bolts to the head were tight. I did loosen them both up and re-tightened them. Decided to go out for a spin. After I hit the asphalt on our road I jammed on the rear brakes three times to see if perhaps that may tighten the primary chain if it was loose. Road for 80 miles and can not force the noise to reoccur. Not sure if the chain was loose or the mount was binding? Maybe I need to be beating on this thing harder then I do?
When I got back to my shop, I drained the primary Formula+ to check and see if it looked unusually dirty (it's been 2869 miles) since I last change it. Almost nothing on the magnet and the oil had it's usual slightly darker tint to it. Wiped down the cover, replaced the fluid with some new Formula+ and buttoned it up.
I guess I'm just going to keep riding it as is, and monitor it for the next few thousand miles. Season is near its end here in Northern Michigan, hope to sneak in a few 100 miles plus rides yet before the snow flies.
Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by Bodacious MC; 10-22-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Wording
Old 10-22-2017, 09:22 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Sounds drive related to me. I’d inspect the belt and sprockets first then pull the primary and look at the drive line in there. Look at the bearings in the clutch hub and the splines coming out of your transmission.

I once had a strange noise I chased for a while too. Drove myself crazy trying to find it. Only did it at slow sweeping turns. Ended up being my rear brake pads had bad material embedded in them and they were barely 50% used. Replaced them and all is well.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2017, 07:21 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Maybe a cush-drive bearing goin' south, or possibly a rear wheel bearing? Just a shot in the dark.

Quick Reply: Chasing Down Strange Noise