Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
How do you know if the bearings are bad? '14 Ultra Limited w/ 17.5K mils on it, everything feels fine, no vibration, only thing I notice is in a turn (50-60 MPH) I get a whistling/whining/buzzing, ONLY in the turn. I'm not sure if the noise is a bearing or tire problem. Years ago we used to jack up our cars and shake the tire in and out, top and bottom, will that work on a Harley? Thank you...
If it's just making a little noise, probably not. But hand turning it while jacked up, you might be able to feel a little roughness. Really bad bearings, you might be able to rock the wheel a little off vertical. You can also use a stethoscope if you have one, or put a screwdriver handle against your ear with the tip against the wheel near the bearing and rotate it slowly. Any gritty sounds, I'd pull the wheel and pop a seal off to look in there, also then you could rotate the inner race by finger and feel for roughness. If the rotating wheel sounds like a tire on gravel, you want new bearings. I've heard that sound from motorcycle wheel bearings, too, and they were nasty when I pulled them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Imold:
IUOE ROB (10-30-2017), Stud Duck (11-12-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 04:11 PM
mtloafer
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
How do you know if the bearings are bad? '14 Ultra Limited w/ 17.5K mils on it, everything feels fine, no vibration, only thing I notice is in a turn (50-60 MPH) I get a whistling/whining/buzzing, ONLY in the turn. I'm not sure if the noise is a bearing or tire problem. Years ago we used to jack up our cars and shake the tire in and out, top and bottom, will that work on a Harley? Thank you...
I can feel it in my handlebars especially when turning at higher speeds. Just annoying as hell for me.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:47 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mtloafer
I can feel it in my handlebars especially when turning at higher speeds. Just annoying as hell for me.
Thanks, I sometimes feel it too but never know, maybe the road is a little uneven, maybe tires, maybe bearings? So many things going on at high speed on 2 wheels it's really hard to pinpoint. I'll try to jack it up as Imold suggested.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 PM
JakeUSAF
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine were really shot and I heard grinding noise at low speed.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix 808
We need to find the proper Timken bearing #'s & forget HD's Chinese crap parts that will just fail over & over again. I still can't believe there has been no recall on this yet.
They have been using these same bearings and failing since 2008, I don't think they will recall them. They have been revised twice. There are now a couple alternatives to the ABS bearing. The non ABS side is a 6205 2rs available everywhere. SKS, Fafnir, Nachi etc.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:25 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

42000 miles on my 2014 Limited and no issues. Will need a new front tire in a few thousand miles and will check bearings again at that time. May go ahead and replace regardless.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:28 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,909 Likes on 8,429 Posts

I replaced mine at about 24K. I put the bearings in the freezer a few hours before I did the work. They slid in pretty easy with some grease. No press needed.
The center spacer is just that. It doesn't rotate or anything, so a bit of rust on it is no big deal at all. Just looks crappy when ya have the wheel bearings out.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I always clean the rust off that spacer and anything else, and coat all the interior metal parts with grease or anti seize. Sure comes apart easier next time, and have never seen rust in a wheel I put back together. I've had to beat axles out with a sledge hammer on some used bikes, hate doing that. That freezer trick works good, too, I've also done that.

Anyone doing Harley wheel bearings themselves for the first time, do some research. On a single disk wheel, the disk side bearing always goes in first. The second bearing doesn't get pressed in till it stops - that will pre-load the inner races. It just goes in till there's no sideways play in the inner spacer; some bearing tools will do this by design. If the disk brake drags when you put it back together, you may have the spacers in wrong or the bearings. Wheel bearings aren't a "good enough" job, they're a "do it right" right job.

The following users liked this post:
NDRK (11-04-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 04:54 PM
1957john
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front wheel bearing

2014 limited at 46.000 miles front wheel bearing done

Old 11-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Rahjerz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2016 SGS 16,000 miles, time for a rear tire so replaced both with mc II. Rear abs bearing was toast, so replaced both front and rear with all *****. How much more could it cost at a manufacturing level to use decent bearings ?

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearings.