Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:47 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

No problem - yet - with my '15 Limited. All ***** bearings will be installed at the first tire change, regardless, just for the peace of mind. IF the Chinese-junk OEM's last long enough to wear the tires out, that is.

Last edited by jpooch00; 11-10-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:59 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Just changed my front tire at 30k miles. The HD bearings were fine. I have All ***** on the shelf, but the stockers turned so smoothly I decided not to change them out. I'll keep an eye on them.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:34 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Changed front at 30k and 100k.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Does the MOCO recommend replacement of wheel bearings at a certain mileage considered as a wear item? If not they are going to be in a serious legal predicament if somebody gets killed or injured do to wheel bearing failure. Im pretty confident just like they updated the compensators in modern Rushmore touring bikes with a heavier duty one that they will address this issue if it is in fact a major safety issue. Knock on wood i've never had a wheel bearing failure on any cage or bike i've owned since the forever actually. Sealed bearings are general are pretty bulletproof.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Pulled my front wheel off today to have a new MCII mounted. (16,500 miles) only road in the rain for less than 50 miles total, also never power wash either. Both bearings sound and feel smooth and quiet. The Right side has the removable type seal. I gently removed it and the grease looked clean (light in color)...I added some syn grease. The ABS Left has the Steel bearing seal. Since it was smooth, my feeling is to leave it alone.
When I replace the rear tire in a week or so, I'm really thinking that I should install new All *****. The rear looks like it could be a PITA as far as missing the option of not replacing now with the tire replacement. The front seems pretty simple monitor and easy to pop off should the OEM's bearing to fail?
Thoughts?

Last edited by Bodacious MC; 11-12-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:59 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

My 14 RK has 60,000 miles and never had a bearing issue. Wifes 10 Dyna has 110000 miles and no issues with bearings.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:16 PM
JerseyGuy
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone have a part number for a good replacement-- ie all *****??

Old 11-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodacious MC
.... The Right side has the removable type seal. I gently removed it and the grease looked clean (light in color)...I added some syn grease. The ABS Left has the Steel bearing seal. Since it was smooth, my feeling is to leave it alone.
When I replace the rear tire in a week or so, I'm really thinking that I should install new All *****. The rear looks like it could be a PITA as far as missing the option of not replacing now with the tire replacement. The front seems pretty simple monitor and easy to pop off should the OEM's bearing to fail?
Thoughts?
Good thing you didn't mess with the metal seal, they're almost always ruined if you try removing them. Adding grease... some synthetics even have warnings about mixing grease. I've seen charts on what you can and can't mix for grease; since you seldom know what the original is, best to clean the bearing of original grease before re-greasing, I've done that many times. I wouldn't get cheap store brand grease, for most of us a tube will do many wheel bearings, so even if it's $20 a tube, it will last a long time. Mobil, Amsoil and Chevron aren't that expensive, and they're good. I pop seals at tire changes, and if the grease is clean and I know what kind it is, and the bearing spins smooth, I leave them. I change any wheel bearing if it's on a bike I bought used, no idea how many miles are on it then unless it's low mileage, but even the low mileage bikes (even a Harley) I've bought had dirty bearings; I attribute those to pressure washing.

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
..... Sealed bearings are general are pretty bulletproof.
Not in my experience. I've replaced hundreds of bad ones in various vehicles, including airliners, with grit in the bearings, burned from inadequate grease amounts, and rust. They aren't perfect, and pressure washing can defeat the best of them. Installed with the proper grease and reasonable water protection (no direct water pressure or prolonged submersion) they're usually pretty reliable.

Originally Posted by JerseyGuy
anyone have a part number for a good replacement-- ie all *****??
Some of the on line stores will specify what parts fit your bike, like this one. Just select your ride, then put "all b*lls bearing" in the search window, and the ones that fit your bike show.

https://www.jpcycles.com

Be aware that AllB*lls are made in China, but they are double sealed, have heavy ball cages, and packed (plenty of it) with Chevron synthetic. They had a few complaints in their early years, but now have a good reputation. I'd sure pick them over OEM Harley Chinese bearings, and am running them in my 1200C now. I had the front wheel off this past summer, and after 3 years still looked new inside, but that gets less miles in 3 years than a lot of the baggers get in one.

The following users liked this post:
JerseyGuy (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 07:26 PM
JerseyGuy
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 AM
Harley1016
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just took my bike in at 17K for new tires and asked the tech that it felt like the front bearings were no longer good...not only was I right about the front bearings, the rear bearings were bad also!
The tech made the call and had it covered under my extended warranty because I was 4 days past the factory warranty!

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearings.