Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advan Black bull crap

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

sorry for your troubles.... i would not waste my money on getting a " DEAL " on the cheap china crap that they are selling..... other members plz dont chime in on how you bought the same POS s and think its great,.......your ability to know quality is compromised by your need to save a buck....

The following users liked this post:
NDRK (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 AM
roadpop
Tourer
Location: Living 33yrs in Sunny Florida !!! Living the retirement dream....Love it!!!
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
sorry for your troubles.... i would not waste my money on getting a " DEAL " on the cheap china crap that they are selling..... other members plz dont chime in on how you bought the same POS s and think its great,.......your ability to know quality is compromised by your need to save a buck....
Thank you all mighty!!!

johndoe297 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-11-2018, 05:02 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by roadpop
Thank you all mighty!!!
youre welcome...... feel free to share your opinion as well , its an open forum.......that was my opinion

Old 01-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

Glad it worked out to the OP. That's good to hear indeed.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Or you can spend top dollar at a dealer and still get the same POS China crap, your choice.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sunnyday91360:
big papa AZ (01-12-2018), jd05flhtci (01-13-2018), johndoe297 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-11-2018, 09:02 PM
tbrince
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Injektor is your opinion based on first hand experience? Just curious. I've bought Advan parts , OEM quality? Nope. But they are good quality. I have over thirty years in the plastics industry, specifically injection molding. We supplied OEM parts to the three American and three Japanese auto makers among others. My experience in R&D, process control and quality control leads me to look at these parts differently. When I got my parts I checked them out based on parameters in our facility. Mold parting lines were clean and even. Minimal flash and plastic flow lines were even. All indications of new or well cared for molds, and proper heat setting. Mounting points were .004 thicker on the Advan bags compared to my factory bags. Factory bags did have slightly less deflection at the tether mounts. Factory bags also were .003 thicker through the middle of the part. Overall I am happy so far. OEM ,again ,no ,very good yes. As far as saving a buck yep ,actually closer to one thousand of them counting lowers , bags, fender extension. I do still have to finish install as they sent me a new fender extension. Three week turn around by the way. Just my opinion based on my parts your results may vary. Nice looking Road King , just my opinion.

roadpop (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 10:02 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

My opinion of Advan is based upon my lowers I got from them.

The paint is a good match, but it chips easily. After 5,000 miles, the lowers are chipped all to hell. I had 20,000 miles on my 2010 Ultra with minimal chips on the lowers; these look 5 times worse with 1/4 the miles.

The right side vent opening barely operates. It never operated 100%, but now, if I want to adjust it, then 3 out of 4 times I have to wait until I'm stopped and manually manipulate the vent door itself. The operator just doesn't work.

The glove boxes have never latched properly. They are difficult to get open, and difficult to get closed. Not a huge deal, as I don't use them much, but still a PITA.

I'm not trying to crap on anyone's thread, and I hope everyone else has a better experience. But for my money, I've bought my last aftermarket painted piece.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tbrince
Injektor is your opinion based on first hand experience? Just curious. I've bought Advan parts , OEM quality? Nope. But they are good quality. I have over thirty years in the plastics industry, specifically injection molding. We supplied OEM parts to the three American and three Japanese auto makers among others. My experience in R&D, process control and quality control leads me to look at these parts differently. When I got my parts I checked them out based on parameters in our facility. Mold parting lines were clean and even. Minimal flash and plastic flow lines were even. All indications of new or well cared for molds, and proper heat setting. Mounting points were .004 thicker on the Advan bags compared to my factory bags. Factory bags did have slightly less deflection at the tether mounts. Factory bags also were .003 thicker through the middle of the part. Overall I am happy so far. OEM ,again ,no ,very good yes. As far as saving a buck yep ,actually closer to one thousand of them counting lowers , bags, fender extension. I do still have to finish install as they sent me a new fender extension. Three week turn around by the way. Just my opinion based on my parts your results may vary. Nice looking Road King , just my opinion.
well.... as a reference point...... i run a plastic injection molding plant, ive been molding for over 20 years...., ive got guys like you, they work for me, .... you can say im pretty familiar with plastics...... the bags i saw were advertised as same os OEM...... OEM , Harley bags are made from ABS plastic....... the china crap i saw, first hand, was made from polystyrene..... HUGE difference...styrene is the predecessor to ABS is a cheaper material without the same properties.....one of the main ones would be impact strength.... so you look at these china parts and think they are just as good.....well they are not.........there is a reason they are cheaper........ cause they are cheap..... so buy them if you want..... i just would not

Last edited by INJEKTER; 01-12-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:39 PM
tbrince
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Injekter, thanks for your response. Many times I'll read a post where someone seems to be just critical for the heck of it, and not have any knowledge of the subject. Obviously you do. I did not say these China parts are just as good. In fact I stated twice they were not OEM quality. I simply did a basic comparison between my factory bags and reported it. No different than checking a heater box, glove box or fan shroud. You are correct factory bags are ABS , and in fact when I ordered my Advan bags the seller claimed they were ABS in their ad. Upon receiving them I questioned the material as they had a different "look" to them. However as I said overall they looked good, smooth,very little flash. ABS is a superior plastic to polystyrene ,as you stated impact resistance is better. And possibly the factory bags having less deflection , more rigidity, as I measured, is also a benefit. Again they are not OEM quality, however ,for me they were an acceptable alternative. Now maybe after I put a few thousand miles on them I won't be happy. I see Qnman is having paint issues, and he reported that. I too will do a follow up and report on my experience. I should also mention that the Harley bags are not made in China, and I believe they are made in Wisconsin.

INJEKTER (01-15-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Ilikeyourthinking
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick Reply: Advan Black bull crap