2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's bring up the Water pumps again, diff options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:17 PM
pkwett94
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

With EPA restrictions I higghly doubt that they will scrap dual cool. If anything I would guess that it will be expanded until finally fully water cooled. Up until Friday I was one of the lucky ones. At 50476 miles my pump was still working just fine. The accident Friday afternoon took out the pump. It did run fine the 5 miles to the house afterward though.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:47 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by pkwett94
With EPA restrictions I higghly doubt that they will scrap dual cool. If anything I would guess that it will be expanded until finally fully water cooled. Up until Friday I was one of the lucky ones. At 50476 miles my pump was still working just fine. The accident Friday afternoon took out the pump. It did run fine the 5 miles to the house afterward though.
The M8s are able to maintain epa standards easier than the TC motors.Look at your 2018 Line up, very few models with water cooled exhaust valve.

Last edited by tbob; 02-11-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:23 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
The M8s are able to maintain epa standards easier than the TC motors.Look at your 2018 Line up, very few models with water cooled exhaust valve.
The same models that were "Twin-Cooled" before 2018, are the same ones for the 2018 models.

Nothing has changed in that regard with the M8 release.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:51 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

[QUOTE=RollaMo;17082210]The same models that were "Twin-Cooled" before 2018, are the same ones for the 2018 models.

Nothing has changed in that regard with the M8 release.[/QUOT
I think the CVO SG was water cooled last year and this year It's air cooled this year.The CVO RG is also air cooled.Put it this way they aren't adding any to the line up. Why would they produce them when they don't have to.

Last edited by tbob; 02-11-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
Originally Posted by RollaMo
The same models that were "Twin-Cooled" before 2018, are the same ones for the 2018 models.

Nothing has changed in that regard with the M8 release.
I think the CVO SG was water cooled last year and this year It's air cooled this year.
Yeah, just looked and your right on that.
They also went from a 114 to a 117 engine, so not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

2018 CVO Road Glide lost the lower fairings, so twin-cooled is out there
The 2018 CVO Street Glide has speakers in the lower fairings, so no twin-cooling there now.

The '17 CVO Street Glide didn't have speakers in the lowers.

Last edited by RollaMo; 02-11-2018 at 08:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tbob (02-11-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 12:14 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Tell ya'll what; if anyone has an ex-water-pump that is complete; that they can/would donate to the cause . . . . shoot me a PM. If you're in the L.A. area getting it to me should be easy, if not . . . . let's figure it out.

I'd like to have a pump in hand. It doesn't need to work. In fact it's probably better for both of us (cost wise) if it is an excellent candidate for the circular file. It just needs to be complete. Like Ivory Soap I'm 99 44/10'ths percent certain that Harley is using a Bosch pump. See posting #8 in this thread. But I need one in hand so that I can visit a parts warehouse and try and match it up. What Harley wants for a pump with the words "Harley-Davidson" stamped on it and what Bosch pumps can be had for are two completely different worlds. What a shock!

See posting #8

Old 04-02-2018, 06:55 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Thats a great idea. I have been wondering what it would take to convert my watercooled twinkie to an oil cooled one. To an Ultra vs an Ultra limited. Ultra heads, and an oil cooler? anything else? Map can't be that much different? I have a PV already. Cams the same?

Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

If anyone has a non working water pump I would be interested in it. I would gladly pay for shipping if anyone would go thru the trouble of packing one up and dropping in the mail. Would like to take one apart and do some testing.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:02 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Still looking for one if any out there

jammerx (04-09-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 09:26 PM
LX2DR
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, my pump crapped out recently and here in Australia it cost AU$635.00.
Just reading some of the comments i can add from what i have found with the issue.
The pump died on our way out for a 5 day long weekend, temp light and engine lights both on.
I stopped and checked the coolant level, all semed OK.
Kept riding and did 800 odd klms for the weekend with the only issue coming late on the way home when it got warmer and power dropped off a bit.
One comment above is the pump slipping on the magnetic drive, this is not possible unless the magnets fail, the strength of those suckers is amazing. (I dismantled the thing after i got a new one)
The water pump itself is a brilliant design, it's what i call a fishtank pump, no seals, completely encapsulated, so its impossible to leak out.
As to the Bosch one, it certainly looks close (pump looks identical) except for the motor casing doesn't look sealed, the HD one is so well sealed you have to destroy it to get it apart.
Once at home i removed the pump from tje motor and found, the motor has 6 poles, mine failed to start on one, if i rotated the shaft to any other pole it worked again, if you could just get at it while assembled you could kick start it!
Certainly the Bosch one could be a breakdown replacement but might not last long if you are riding in wet weather?
P.S. if the pump isnt running, the radiators and pipes are cold, so the fans wont be switched on, easy to be side tracked by them not running as being the issue.
Hope this adds to the knowledge of this issue.

14GuineaPig (04-15-2018)

Quick Reply: Let's bring up the Water pumps again, diff options?