2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's bring up the Water pumps again, diff options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 01:32 AM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LX2DR
Hey guys, my pump crapped out recently and here in Australia it cost AU$635.00.
Just reading some of the comments i can add from what i have found with the issue.
The pump died on our way out for a 5 day long weekend, temp light and engine lights both on.
I stopped and checked the coolant level, all semed OK.
Kept riding and did 800 odd klms for the weekend with the only issue coming late on the way home when it got warmer and power dropped off a bit.
One comment above is the pump slipping on the magnetic drive, this is not possible unless the magnets fail, the strength of those suckers is amazing. (I dismantled the thing after i got a new one)
The water pump itself is a brilliant design, it's what i call a fishtank pump, no seals, completely encapsulated, so its impossible to leak out.
As to the Bosch one, it certainly looks close (pump looks identical) except for the motor casing doesn't look sealed, the HD one is so well sealed you have to destroy it to get it apart.
Once at home i removed the pump from tje motor and found, the motor has 6 poles, mine failed to start on one, if i rotated the shaft to any other pole it worked again, if you could just get at it while assembled you could kick start it!
Certainly the Bosch one could be a breakdown replacement but might not last long if you are riding in wet weather?
P.S. if the pump isnt running, the radiators and pipes are cold, so the fans wont be switched on, easy to be side tracked by them not running as being the issue.
Hope this adds to the knowledge of this issue.
Mahalo Mate and welcome to the Forums!

Old 04-14-2018, 06:03 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
One unknown is the flow rate of the stock unit. I can see moving the water through too fast, or too slow could be a problem.

Maybe they're all the same

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
Its not the space shuttle here and if you can ride without a functioning pump at all do you really think flow rate would matter?

Looks like an intercooler pump from a GT500 as well.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:25 AM
wheelsofsteel
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I've got a bit over 16,000 miles (~26,00 km) on my 2015 and so far no water pump failures.

But between all the folks who have experienced a failure and that Harley redesigned the Water Pump and the computer logic that controls it for the 2017 model year, I'll not be surprised if/when mine goes out.

I've gone so far as to price a new one from Harley and "save" it on a couple of the on-line Harley Dealer web sites: The Harley Part Number for my bike is 26600012. Roughly $310 seems to be the lowest price out there.

However, the Harley Water Pump looks exactly like a Bosch Inter-cooler Water Pump that is used on an awful lot of turbocharged cars. These Bosch Water Pumps go for around $60 to $80. I can't be the only one who has noticed this. Looking at some Bosch information it appears that one or more of the following Bosh Part Numbers might be an exact replacement: 0392020024, 0392020034, 0392020039 and 0392020064. The physical external dimensions of the pump and the size of the water hose fittings would be the only deal breakers. It might even be that the wiring connectors are the same, although that could be easily handled.

See the attached Bosch Catalog and the pictures.

Someone somewhere must have walked through a WD's warehouse and seen if any of these match up.
Indeed. My thoughts entirely.

Anyone know what the electronics do on the Harley pump? I changed mine today and need to do some digging but the pump does look remarkably like the Bosch intercooler pump part #0392022002. Different 12v connector and don't know if it has the electronics the Harley one has? Can't find anything on the impeller rpm on each to compare and wondered if the Harley electronics are to drop the rpm given the smaller coolant system? What do you think.

If it was only the 12v connector I'd buy the Bosch and mod it. Not sure chucking coolant round the Harley at the same rate though will be good for it...If indeed that is the case. The plot thickens.

Looking at other intercooler pump throughputs they pump around 4 gals per minute which would probably put a fair bit of pressure on the small harley coolant circuit.

Any feedback that may help my quest please post.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:05 AM
kjinjoh
Stage I
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Folks
I'm running a FLTRUSE 2016 CVO :-)
My water pump stopped working during a trip on the west coast of Norway last summer. Lives in Oslo Norway. Read a bit around this forum, and came across this post. I bought the Bosch pump Part Nr. 0392020039 Required some rebuilding, as the inlet and outlet diameter is larger on Bosch's. This has now been put in place, test driven over 250 km. works perfectly. My local harley davidson dealer wanted 5500, - in norwegian value, for just the pump, with the upgraded pump that replaced the one my bike was set up with, with workshop costs change +++ the price was 12000, - For Bosch pump, the price was 700, - Actually a decent job, you need a 16mm hose, inside diameter, a little 12mm pipe for transition from 12mm to 16mm, some hose clamps, red antifreeze, etc. The cover that protects the pump needs to be modified a bit. Not a single error message since, the temperature stays at normal levels. So thank you so much for your post that said this had to be usable. It does, looking forward to many miles with Bosch
Best Regards
Kjell Inge Johansen
Oslo Norway

Last edited by kjinjoh; 09-19-2021 at 11:09 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by kjinjoh:
eqcons (09-20-2021), Pix (09-19-2021), RoadieWingZ (09-25-2022), Ultra103 (09-19-2021)