Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before you shell out for WHIM...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

I would have already have bought the freewire, but as soon as I learned it has to be plugged in where the headset would normally plug in I decided against it. That is stupid and the cord is the real problem for me.

Like mentioned above Bluetooth is the deal. I already have my phone on the handlebars curtesy of Tech Mount and use it for music and navigation all the time. Way easier. So why by WHIM or FREEWIRE? Just buy Sena and roll completely wireless with the advantages it offers.

Something for everyone!

The following users liked this post:
dceggert (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,226 Likes on 421 Posts

On the surface, what Harley did (cripple non-Harley headsets) does seem to suck. What's next? Only Harley branded pipes will work.

I wonder if there is an actual technical reason why the non-Harley headsets are crippled, or if it is strictly to sell branded headsets.

I had been looking forward to Harley supporting Bluetooth headsets and had hoped to get one of the helmets that integrates a headset nicely. If they had allowed for that, I would have bought the WHIM already.

Wmoor004 (03-07-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:15 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
On the surface, what Harley did (cripple non-Harley headsets) does seem to suck. What's next? Only Harley branded pipes will work.

I wonder if there is an actual technical reason why the non-Harley headsets are crippled, or if it is strictly to sell branded headsets.

I had been looking forward to Harley supporting Bluetooth headsets and had hoped to get one of the helmets that integrates a headset nicely. If they had allowed for that, I would have bought the WHIM already.
You and I are on exactly the same spot. After years of me begging the MoCo to allow us to pair our Bluetooth headsets to our bike, including personal conversations with the HD regional rep, who told me: "Don't worry! We're working on just what you're asking for!"

The WHIM was the last straw for me.

There is only one reason to buy the WHIM instead of the Freewire, and that is if your passenger also wants to listen to the Infotainment system. If you don't buy the WHIM, then you'll need two Freewires, and now you're at about the same cost.

Otherwise, the Freewire gives you full stereo with your existing SENA headset, and the WHIM...eff you.

Wmoor004 (03-07-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:45 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Personally I will not watch any of LAB video's, I did in the past. The guy likes to hear himself talk, ask for money, and sell you something. Your mileage may differ.
I watched a LAB video on the Freewire when it first came out. LAB called it a "HACK JOB" then while promoting their own wired headset and now they promote Freewire through their store.

Proceed with Caution

Old 01-11-2018, 06:59 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I live on the opposite side of the country. I don't know the law abiding biker at all. He is putting free informative videos that definitely help the average guy make bike mods and evaluate new gear. This is very valuable. If he is promoting crap that will become evident very quickly. It's unbelievable how some people just cant stand someone who is pouring his own time into this sort of endeavor providing a very useful service for FREE! Stop bitching. If he is wrong, he corrects it later. In the motorcycle world there isn't an independent source of information. The big magazines etc... clearly live off advertising and as such have a vested interest. This guy spends all his free time away from being a cop to do this! That alone is admirable. Get a grip.

The following 5 users liked this post by 06Ultraman:
GalvTexGuy (01-11-2018), greg09997 (02-23-2018), jpooch00 (01-11-2018), Undersea4me (07-01-2019), Wmoor004 (03-07-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Ultraman
I live on the opposite side of the country. I don't know the law abiding biker at all. He is putting free informative videos that definitely help the average guy make bike mods and evaluate new gear. This is very valuable. If he is promoting crap that will become evident very quickly. It's unbelievable how some people just cant stand someone who is pouring his own time into this sort of endeavor providing a very useful service for FREE! Stop bitching. If he is wrong, he corrects it later. In the motorcycle world there isn't an independent source of information. The big magazines etc... clearly live off advertising and as such have a vested interest. This guy spends all his free time away from being a cop to do this! That alone is admirable. Get a grip.
He does this for money. Sure, I appreciate the info like all the other info you can get on YouTube, but make no mistake, it's about money. Don't forget to Smash that like button and subscribe!

Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Ultraman
I have absolutely no problems with LAB's videos. I just skip the promotional stuff. Some people just can't stand someone trying to improve their lot in life.

jpooch00 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:44 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain

So it's worthless if he gets a few bucks for him and his family?? Value deserves some compensation I would think. I haven't donated. I'm guilty on that but to run the guy down is way out of bounds. Done.

The following 2 users liked this post by 06Ultraman:
jpooch00 (01-11-2018), Wmoor004 (03-07-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:44 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Personally I will not watch any of LAB video's, I did in the past. The guy likes to hear himself talk, ask for money, and sell you something. Your mileage may differ.
You're SO fulla crap!

Last edited by jpooch00; 01-11-2018 at 07:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpooch00:
hbsoldier3 (01-11-2018), Wmoor004 (03-07-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 08:09 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain

you can locate the freewire under the fairing with a different cable. I guess it provides stereo sound. I have a sena 10 so might be way I go.

Wmoor004 (03-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Before you shell out for WHIM...