Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before you shell out for WHIM...

Old 01-11-2018, 08:11 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Ultraman
So it's worthless if he gets a few bucks for him and his family?? Value deserves some compensation I would think. I haven't donated. I'm guilty on that but to run the guy down is way out of bounds. Done.
I think the sense is that he does this for compensation, and since he does, his views and opinions could be biased. I don't think anyone should "run him down" for it, just know what it's really about....

Old 01-11-2018, 02:32 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Ultraman
you can locate the freewire under the fairing with a different cable. I guess it provides stereo sound. I have a sena 10 so might be way I go.
The Freewire becomes a much better option if you want to use a bluetooth headset that you already have; especially if you don't need one for passengers.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:33 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master

Originally Posted by lp
i think the sense is that he does this for compensation, and since he does, his views and opinions could be biased. I don't think anyone should "run him down" for it, just know what it's really about....
agreed

Old 01-11-2018, 04:04 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
You're SO fulla crap!
I am, I just do not like the LAB guy.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:45 AM
HarleyBP
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, since I am setting up a new system, the WHIM & HD branded Sena work out well. With a discount from my local Dealer, the HD Sena 20s EVO is less money than the Sena unit. However, I can see where I would certainly be frustrated if I already owned a Sena headset.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,843 Likes on 898 Posts

Frustrated?....That's my middle name.

Bought our '17 Limited and it came with one cabled headset for in-helmet wear. I paid for an extra headset for my wife. The problem came when we decided to go with half helmets (Bell units) which didn't allow the mike to clamp within range of voice...plus the speakers would only work if we used the zip-in ear/neck liners. Crap. So we put those aside and I bought 2 sets of cabled half helmet headsets. These do the job except the cables are a hassle and our ears get sore. Not quite a bust but close enough.

Now we're going to 3/4 helmets and wireless headsets. I'll be buying the HD WHIM module, the harness and 2 wireless HD headsets. I'm also installing a SiriusXM module while the batwing is off. Then there's a couple Shoei helmets to buy. My dealer quoted me $50 to flash the software after I do the install. But the cost of all that new hardware is substantial....not to mention the cabled headsets x 4 that we'll never use.

The following users liked this post:
CCG (04-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,033 Likes on 7,960 Posts

Using the WHIM are you listening to your music by wire or bluetooth. I listen to my music that's on my iPhone X that's plugged into the dash compartment. Music by wire sounds so much better than bluetooth riding down the highway on a Harley. At lest it does on my bike.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:38 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
Frustrated?....That's my middle name.

Bought our '17 Limited and it came with one cabled headset for in-helmet wear. I paid for an extra headset for my wife. The problem came when we decided to go with half helmets (Bell units) which didn't allow the mike to clamp within range of voice...plus the speakers would only work if we used the zip-in ear/neck liners. Crap. So we put those aside and I bought 2 sets of cabled half helmet headsets. These do the job except the cables are a hassle and our ears get sore. Not quite a bust but close enough.

Now we're going to 3/4 helmets and wireless headsets. I'll be buying the HD WHIM module, the harness and 2 wireless HD headsets. I'm also installing a SiriusXM module while the batwing is off. Then there's a couple Shoei helmets to buy. My dealer quoted me $50 to flash the software after I do the install. But the cost of all that new hardware is substantial....not to mention the cabled headsets x 4 that we'll never use.
Are you using the Pit Boss helmets? I installed a 20S headset clamp to my Pit Boss. I think the mike will reach far enough but won't be able to test it till I am reunited with my OR bike next spring and get the flash. I am planning to use the bike speakers with the Pit Boss. I have another clamp installed on my Shoei JCruise 3/4 with speakers installed. I only wear the 3/4 if it is too cold/wet for the 1/2.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:00 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,843 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVENRINO
Are you using the Pit Boss helmets? I installed a 20S headset clamp to my Pit Boss. I think the mike will reach far enough but won't be able to test it till I am reunited with my OR bike next spring and get the flash. I am planning to use the bike speakers with the Pit Boss. I have another clamp installed on my Shoei JCruise 3/4 with speakers installed. I only wear the 3/4 if it is too cold/wet for the 1/2.

Yep!....Pit Boss by Bell. As I recall we were just barely able to get the mike clamped near the ear/jaw rim of the helmet...no closer than that. My mike tip made it to about the corner of my mouth but not in front. I hope you figure out a way to make it work, and please share it with me/us if you do. Maybe the mike length is different on the wireless/clamp headsets.

If you're using the 20S on the Pit Boss...and the bike's speakers for audio...what becomes of the 2 ear speakers which are part of the 20S headset?

Old 01-12-2018, 03:56 PM
720Deere
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

20S works just fine with the Pit Boss and I have a large head. I can center the mic on my mouth. If you have experiment with the 20S, you may just find that the mic doesn't need to be perfectly in front of you mouth to function. I always tuck my mic up into the front of the helmet when I take the helmet off and sometimes forget to reposition it before I hit the road. At lower speeds, it works just fine like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Before you shell out for WHIM...