Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   Before you shell out for WHIM... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1214000-before-you-shell-out-for-whim.html)

jpooch00 01-10-2018 06:50 AM

Before you shell out for WHIM...

...check this review out - https://www.lawabidingbiker.com/harl...dule-problems/

At least you'll know you're getting screwed beforehand.

GalvTexGuy 01-10-2018 07:20 AM

Nothing new as this has already been covered in other threads on the WHIM. Along with the already out-of-the-box obsolete map "updates" for $150 a pop, and the WHIM screw job, they need to start supplying a tube of K-Y jelly when we purchase a touring model.

FNGonaRK 01-10-2018 08:26 AM

Sounds like the FreeWire is a simple, cheaper solution for anyone looking to do the same thing.

jpooch00 01-10-2018 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy (Post 16984273)
Nothing new as this has already been covered in other threads on the WHIM. Along with the already out-of-the-box obsolete map "updates" for $150 a pop, and the WHIM screw job, they need to start supplying a tube of K-Y jelly when we purchase a touring model.

Oh, OK. I didn't realize that folks were buying that stuff already knowing that they were being screwed when they did it.

What a world! Oh well... It's their money to waste if they want to, I guess.

dceggert 01-10-2018 09:01 AM

As with any other piece of electronics one has to determine what 'they' want to do with it. If you want to listen to the radio on your Ultra Limited through a headset you have a bunch of options. I have a BT headset in my helmet already and can listen to navigation instructions, music, and make calls while connected to my phone. This is bike independent.

If you want to talk bike to bike or rider to passenger (or both) just get the Sena headsets and you are done. They will do all of the above as well as share music with all paired devices.

This notion that HD is 'screwing you' is rediculous. If they are it is because there is a lack of understanding of how the system works.

Now if you HAVE to have the nav system in the console in your helmet then you have to pay the bucks. If not, use Waze on your phone and enjoy all the connectivity the world offers independent of the bike you are on!

mjmanna 01-10-2018 12:59 PM

So if you want to use the infotainment without using a cord get the WHIM. You also get the additional functionality of the HD20S EVO headset (stereo). if you already have a sena 20S headset buy the freewire, but if your passenger wants to cut the cord you need to buy another freewire. Either way you will pay.

mikes300 01-10-2018 01:27 PM

been beat to death, the WHIM has its pluses too, and those guys are clearly just trying to sell their product.

smitty901 01-10-2018 01:33 PM

You need two freewire to do what 1 WHIM will do . Plus you have the freewire junk all over. Outlaw biker has a imtrest in selling freewire.
The WHIM is better.

DAVENRINO 01-10-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by mikes300 (Post 16985398)
been beat to death, the WHIM has its pluses too, and those guys are clearly just trying to sell their product.

Originally Posted by smitty901 (Post 16985414)
You need two freewire to do what 1 WHIM will do . Plus you have the freewire junk all over. Outlaw biker has a imtrest in selling freewire.
The WHIM is better.

:icon_that:LAB puts out a lot of good info but this video is an obvious attempt to sell a product they sell and has a lot of misleading info. Using my fav discount supplier, I got the WHIM, harness and HD Boom 20S for a grand total of $528 and installed it in bout 30 minutes with a free flash.. If you don't already have non-HD headsets, the Freewire is a much more expensive option if you need two of them plus the above-mentioned wire mess. To each his own and spend your money however you like.

hbsoldier3 01-10-2018 02:26 PM

Personally I will not watch any of LAB video's, I did in the past. The guy likes to hear himself talk, ask for money, and sell you something. Your mileage may differ.