Sponsored by:

Front Fork Removal= Danger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 12:32 PM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Front Fork Removal= Danger?

How high does the bike need to be lifted to remove the front forks? I've got a cheapo jack from a couple of bikes ago and I'm concerned that pulling the weight off the front end will cause the bike to become unstable on the jack. Thought of shimming up the rear with blocks as i lift the bike. Also looking for suggestions on the best way to utilize the tie downs on the jack?

I typically only lift the bike enough for fluid changes and cleaning. Maxing the lift is a bit scary to me.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:35 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,899 Likes on 8,425 Posts

Most jacks are pretty safe for lifting the bike up to the full height. Just be sure to install the lock bar so it doesn't bleed down on ya.
If ya just lift the bike with it balanced, you can remove the front wheel first. That will give ya enough room to slide the fork tubes outa the trees.
Placing support under the back wheel is good as long as it's stable.

The following users liked this post:
No U Glider (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 03:18 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Some of the cheaper jacks have a lot of sway to them when you get them up to max height. Like was said above, get it high enough to just get the necessary parts off, then go higher to slide the forks out supporting the rear if needed. When you get the forks out you can always lower the bike again to keep things stable.

There’s support tie down points on each side of the rubber pleats also. You can run a ratchet strap over the bike to keep it planted but be sure to not run them directly over the paint.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 01-20-2018 at 03:27 PM.
No U Glider (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 03:39 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,594 Likes on 5,167 Posts

Strap it to the lift. Once up support rear tire. Seems scary at first but was reall no big deal. Make sure once lift jack sit down in the loks like it should , bike is going no where. Did one of mine with my Sear pro no problem.
Old FB on the cheap HF one forks off
[url=https://flic.kr/p/FvpJt3]

Road Glide pulled every thing and painted interfering, did seals and bushing that winter

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JGssF6]

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/144658281@N02/, on Flickr

No U Glider (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 03:57 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

I have virtually the same lift with a different paint job and a couple of threaded levelers on the rear corners. I've found that screwing down the levelers helps a bit to stabilize the bike but the big thing is to use the bracing mechanism that locks the lift at different heights. Placing the weight of the bike on the brace really helps with any rocking back and forth. When I removed my forks I also placed a stack of wood under the rear tire to insure that the whole thing couldn't rock back. I don't know if it was necessary but it did calm the nerves.

No U Glider (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 04:18 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=No U Glider;17014781]How high does the bike need to be lifted to remove the front forks? I've got a cheapo jack from a couple of bikes ago and I'm concerned that pulling the weight off the front end will cause the bike to become unstable on the jack. Thought of shimming up the rear with blocks as i lift the bike. Also looking for suggestions on the best way to utilize the tie downs on the jack?

I typically only lift the bike enough for fluid changes and cleaning. Maxing the lift is a bit scary to me.

Not much more than it takes to get the tire/wheel off you will gain that space with the tire off so maybe a few more inches. The J&S jack is very stable i never had any worries or issues with it.

No U Glider (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:24 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

I just lifted mine high enough for the front tire to clear, once the tire is off there is enough room to drop the fork. Also position the jack as far forward as possible.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:08 PM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by barrygreen
I just lifted mine high enough for the front tire to clear, once the tire is off there is enough room to drop the fork. Also position the jack as far forward as possible.
Thanks I'd have thought to position as far towards the rear as possible get more motor weight on the front?

Old 01-20-2018, 09:29 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by No U Glider
Thanks I'd have thought to position as far towards the rear as possible get more motor weight on the front?
Your working on the front...weight off the front.
Honestly I just jack it up high enough till the axle slides out. It's not going anywhere.

The following 2 users liked this post by barrygreen:
INJEKTER (01-22-2018), No U Glider (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:33 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by No U Glider
That is what i would do also.

Quick Reply: Front Fork Removal= Danger?