Sponsored by:

Lighted Handlebar switches.. great fix/mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:25 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
I got them from Boardtracker two years ago. Three months ago the left switch pac failed. The ODO trigger switch would not advance to the nest display. Replaced by my ESP, non-lighted of course. Anybody got a lighted left switch pac for sale?
Could you have paid the difference and got the lighted one? And curious, your ESP covered an item NOT originally installed by the dealer when you bought the bike? A Harley item not originally installed on the bike but installed later? I have the ESP, that would be great if they covered that...thanks!

Old 02-05-2018, 11:44 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I like those switch controls, but I'm waiting on HD to release illuminated foot brake, clutch and brake levers. I can't see them things in the dark.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:59 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

[QUOTE=IUOE ROB;17062250]Could you have paid the difference and got the lighted one? And curious, your ESP covered an item NOT originally installed by the dealer when you bought the bike? A Harley item not originally installed on the bike but installed later? I have the ESP, that would be great if they covered that...thanks![/QUOTE]

No, on the lighted switch, as they are P&A accessories, and my only had a year warranty. Yes, on the second question. The service department at my Dealership are great guys. I told them I had the P&A switches, and one was bad. Since it is becoming somewhat common for the stock left switch pac to fail. They did not care, just had to pay the $50 bucks to get the non-lighted switch. In addition, Boardtracker for a couple of bucks more (depending on their list price) offers an additional year on the factory parts. I just installed the CVO gauges, and the two-year warranty cost me $10 bucks.

Last edited by hbsoldier3; 02-05-2018 at 12:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IUOE ROB (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:36 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
This is were they shoot them selfs in there foot, should be standard equipment
It's actually pretty smart marketing. They aren't standard but the end user can purchase them to add on. The MoCo makes more money.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:28 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep. This was my first upgrade. I had them point on my 2015 the day I bought it. I love it.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:43 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Wow.

hattitude stated:

"It took me about 15 minutes to change out both switch packs, and I used a torque wrench to tighten the covers and the handles...!! "

I installed my lighted switches about a year or so ago. It took me about an hour and half, but I work slow. Also bought from Boardtracker for $199.0 at that time.

If you took the old switches off and installed the new switches in 15 minutes, without breaking any of the little tabs or pinching any wires, you have my vote for best home mechanic of the year. You should open a shop! Fantastic.

Last edited by so60; 02-07-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:58 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,383 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Originally Posted by so60
hattitude stated:

"It took me about 15 minutes to change out both switch packs, and I used a torque wrench to tighten the covers and the handles...!! "

I installed my lighted switches about a year or so ago. It took me about an hour and half or so, but I work slow.

If you took the old switches off and installed the new switches in 15 minutes, without breaking any of the little tabs or pinching any wires, you have my vote for best home mechanic of the year. You should open a shop! Fantastic.
OK.... maybe it was 20 minutes... but it went really fast... granted, I pre-read the service manual section on switch pack installation the day before, and had tools ready to go (25 torx, 27 torx, small screwdriver), but it was a snap (no pun intended)...

2 bolts off lever base, lay lever on top of towel on lowers. 2 bolts off switch pack covers and pull them off, unsnap switch pack, un hook wire connector, set aside old switch pack. Plug wire connector onto new switch pack (with dab of dielectric grease), run wire along edge of switch pack, snap new switch pack on bars, place covers on new switch pack and snug two bolts. Place lever on bar/switch pack, snug two bolts. Adjust lever placement, tighten 4 bolts....

Repeat for other side...

The only difference between the two sides was the odometer switch on the left hand switch pack. Mine pulled right up & off, no tools. Snapped back on the same way, no tools...

I swear, it took about the same amount of time to type it, as it did to actually do it.....

Now.... throw in a few beers, polish the handlebar under the switches, instead of just wiping it off, and it MAY take 35-40 minutes....

But then again, I enjoy working on my bikes and have in the past turned a one hour job into a two-day affair... nothing wrong doing it either way.... just so happens this time I wanted to get it done and go for a ride......

Last edited by hattitude; 02-07-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:53 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

OK guys - now that you are working on the switch packs, have you moved the cruise control function to the left side?

Old 02-08-2018, 09:42 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
OK guys - now that you are working on the switch packs, have you moved the cruise control function to the left side?
The cruise control is on the left side.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:36 PM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Great Idea, I'm going to check this out.
Bill

Quick Reply: Lighted Handlebar switches.. great fix/mod