Stock HD windshield -vs- LRS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
Looking at your signature picture
Yeah, that's the shorty Klockworks that I tried using for solo trips around town... And taking a Sig pick. It LOOKS GREAT! It worked "just enough" for me, but did nothing for the OL. The big Klockwerks was better but still was unbearable for her.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:26 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Piloto
OK... A properly fitted (per directions) LRS ultra elite on my Ultra limited is buffeting too much for my wife sitting on the back.

She remembers the stock windshield not being too bad for her. What's wrong with the stock shields? Anything? Remember, I've only had a touring model for barely a year. I'm new to this bagger stuff, but LOVING IT.

I'm at the crossroads: I am looking at function as opposed to looks.

I am torn between trying the LRS flat top elite, or just getting the stock HD screen in smoke (now available).

I've tried Klockwerks, and it does NOT werk for the OL on the back. No more of those.

Thanks!
You ask what's wrong with the stock shields. Why did you switch to LRS? Or did you by a bike with the LRS shield on it?

When you ask a question about shields preferences you will get a lot of opinions, most of which won't really help. Just being honest. There's really nothing wrong with a stock shield. I personally switched to LRS, because I like looking over the shield and I couldn't really do that with a stock shield. My wife notices a bit more air with the LRS as well, but she's okay with it.

I ride my LRS a bit higher than what they recommend in their video. Works better for me as far as buffeting goes for rider and passenger

The following users liked this post:
Piloto (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 11:15 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by slowrollin
You ask what's wrong with the stock shields. Why did you switch to LRS?
Because everyone else is doing it. Yeah, I know...

I’ll call LRS or just go with the next size up stock when we’re doing a road trip. Locally and around town when I’m solo, the LRS is fine. The OL just can’t take the LRS buffeting for more than 30 minutes at highway speed before she’s done for the day. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2018, 08:48 AM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Piloto
Because everyone else is doing it. Yeah, I know...

I’ll call LRS or just go with the next size up stock when we’re doing a road trip. Locally and around town when I’m solo, the LRS is fine. The OL just can’t take the LRS buffeting for more than 30 minutes at highway speed before she’s done for the day. Thanks!
What size LRS do you have? I ride the 8 inch, because I have a short torso, even though I'm about 6 feet tall. I went through a few of these before I got the right fit. I have a 10 inch medium tint Elite laying around that I'll never use.
I'd be willing to part with it if your willing to pay for the shipping to get it to you.

Piloto (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Slowrollin, It sounds like we have the same build. I have the 8" elite, and it works perfect for me. A 10" would be too tall. From reading the LRS site, I may need a flat top elite. Those are supposed to be better for 2-up. If I go any higher than about 8" or maybe 9", I'll be looking through it which I don't want to do with a recurve. I'll call them today or Monday and see what they say.

At the end of the day, it sounds like I can default back to a stock set-up for the OL when we road trip.

THANKS EVERYONE for the replies thus far.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:20 PM
cash64
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Stock Limited shield is either 10” or 12”. I think the stock shield looks great on that model. But as has already been posted...everyone has their own opinion. The LRS 10” in smoke I suspect is your answer since you like their shield...and their reasonably priced when on sale.

Edit: just noticed you stated function over form. New stock smoke is my vote for you.

Last edited by cash64; 02-10-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Piloto (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 04:47 PM
FredCa
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts

We found the LRS Flattop eliminated much of the buffeting for my wife when riding 2-up on our limited as compared to the stock windshield. It is sometimes a detriment when riding in warm weather. There is not enough air flow for the vents in our helmets to provide much cooling.

Piloto (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 10:33 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cash64
Edit: just noticed you stated function over form. New stock smoke is my vote for you.
I'm REALLY leaning towards that option. Edit: I think I'm going to get this, and give LRS one more chance with the one mentioned below. Between teh two, one must work.. Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by FredCa
We found the LRS Flattop eliminated much of the buffeting for my wife when riding 2-up on our limited as compared to the stock windshield. It is sometimes a detriment when riding in warm weather. There is not enough air flow for the vents in our helmets to provide much cooling.
Thanks! I hear the flat top elite is the best they have for 2-up. I'll catch one on sale. We can take the heat. Thanks y'all!

Last edited by Piloto; 02-10-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:00 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

As stated the reason i went with the recurve design to be able to look over it while having the air go over my head. I just cant look through a shield. Let alone in the rain.

A wider flatter top will take some air off her and make sure your vent is open.

Piloto (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 05:09 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

I had a 7" LRS flat top on my 2012 Limited... the wife never road with the OEM, but stated that wind was never an issue...

I traded the '12 limited for a '16 classic...the '16 (used) came with a street glide windshield for looks, obviously we both hated it..

I put a 7" LRS flat top on it, I loved the change, but for what ever reason, noticed the 7" shield appeared a little lower on the '16 than it did the '12..

The wife mentioned this bike, with LRS shield, had more wind than the old bike.

I bumped it up to an 8" LRS, I can still see over the shield, and the wife noticed the change (I didn't tell her I changed it)...

I believe the LRS flat top works well for the passenger, but you have to make sure you get the right height....

Quick Reply: Stock HD windshield -vs- LRS?