Sponsored by:

2015 FLHTK clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:04 PM
gpeake13j
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Update:
Work has been hectic lately and was unable to get to my service appt. Opened up the case and took the clutch apart and blew it out with the air compressor. Didn’t see any shine or blueing. Figured I’d button it back up and go ahead and order a 9 plate + spring from Barnett anyways as mentioned above. Btw found it about 30$ cheaper on amazon. I digress. Filled it up with the 40 w/e ounces the manual said for dry fill and went for a ride. Wouldn’t slip at all. 300 miles of trying to replicate the original problem. Rode 2-up today no issues. So I’m guessing it was just the Amsoil primary fluid didn’t agree. I guess she’s picky.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:35 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Wow, I would think that a clutch related issue would be covered on an ESP, regardless of parts. I know wheel bearings are covered, at least, at my dealer.
I had my clutch pack replaced at 70K and ESP covered it. Never slipped that I know about, but downshifting from 2nd to 1st became quite a chore.

Last edited by MilesOfTexas; 02-20-2018 at 12:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by gpeake13j
Update:
Work has been hectic lately and was unable to get to my service appt. Opened up the case and took the clutch apart and blew it out with the air compressor. Didn’t see any shine or blueing. Figured I’d button it back up and go ahead and order a 9 plate + spring from Barnett anyways as mentioned above. Btw found it about 30$ cheaper on amazon. I digress. Filled it up with the 40 w/e ounces the manual said for dry fill and went for a ride. Wouldn’t slip at all. 300 miles of trying to replicate the original problem. Rode 2-up today no issues. So I’m guessing it was just the Amsoil primary fluid didn’t agree. I guess she’s picky.
Formula+ is all I ever used until I upgraded to a Rekluse Torque Drive clutch pack at 80k.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 AM
Rick17FLH
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gpeake13j
Changed fluids for its 15k service. Used Amsoil Primary fluid in the primary. Went on a ride on a cold day (18*F) with a group and stopped to eat. On the way back, on the interstate, it started slipping in 6th. Figured I overfilled or something, and took it easy till I got back to the house. Drained it, got 37 1/2ish ounces out. Refilled with HD formula +. Took it out and it seemed ok, then after it warmed up it began slipping again, 5 and 6.
Sat in the garage for about a week, and decided to drain again, blow out everything with the air compressor, and refill. Figured I'd bleed the M/C while I was at it. Few air bubbles, not much. Refilled to a precise 38oz... still slipping in 5th/6th.
Have the ESP so rode to Fort Bragg HD.. Of course it doesn't cover plates, but if the basket or spring is done? Have an Appt. on Tuesday.
I think it would take me about an hour or so to do it myself, but have never messed with the hydros.
I ride normal to hard. i don't papa it, but don't abuse it. No burnouts or dumping the clutch at shifts/lights.

Anyone else had issues like this? I saw a thread somewhere that had mentioned it.

My frustrations are now vented.
This is really confusing.... that the clutch slips in the tallest gears.
As you're accelerating to highway speeds, you're applying a lot more torque to the friction plate in the lower gears and there's no perceived power loss or rpm surging in 1st 2nd or 3rd??? Does the slipping in 5th and 6th manifest itself as rpm surging with no change in speed???
Please understand, I am not criticizing; just making an attempt to get to the root of the problem.
Cheers
Rick

Old 02-22-2018, 11:17 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTKcdn
As you're accelerating to highway speeds, you're applying a lot more torque to the friction plate in the lower gears and there's no perceived power loss or rpm surging in 1st 2nd or 3rd??? Does the slipping in 5th and 6th manifest itself as rpm surging with no change in speed???
Please understand, I am not criticizing; just making an attempt to get to the root of the problem.
Cheers
Rick
My 14 FLHTK would slip, very noticeably in 5th when I hammered on it-like to pass and not gear down but from around 1900-2000 rpm. It had about 30k miles at the time and i done about the same thing as gpeake13j in his post above.

Except i took the disks and plates out, cleaned everything good (it was very dirty) guess it was friction disk material and chain and chain tensioner material but very dirty?

There was a plate or two that had a deep groove cut into them, believe it was the first or the last plate dont remember for sure. But anyway i didn't put them back in the same order in fact i didn't put any disk or plates back in same order.

Filled it with Formula+ and no further issues with 41k miles now and a new clutch that iv had for several months if it slips again..

Last edited by Gwaxley; 02-22-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:09 PM
gpeake13j
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTKcdn
Cheers
Rick
Yea so, at 1,2,3 gears there doesn't seem to be any slipping at all. 5th-6th under load, say 2-3500 rpm, if I roll hard on the throttle without downshifting, it would produce slippage. I imagine the resistance change with the higher gear with the torque of the motor results in the slippage..vs lower gear and less resistance.

Since i cleaned it all out, I haven't seemed to experience the slippage.