2014+ Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014+ Touring Models Only
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'15 Streetglide 103. Oil change kit?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:45 PM
03nighttrain
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '15 Streetglide 103. Oil change kit?

I'm considering doing oil, primary and transmission myself this year and looking for recommendations on a kit?
I'd like to try and save some money this year. I bought the bike new and it has around 9,000 miles. The dealer will want between 300 and 400 to do this.
Thanks Dave

Old 02-12-2018, 02:15 PM
tuleyne
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have a lift for your bike I'd highly recommend the oil pan Harley sells. It's skinny enough to slide under the bike when it's on the sidestand. The plastic gizmo they sell that slides under the filter works pretty well as long as you can butt it up right against the filter flange. There's always going to be some oil dripping onto the motor and frame, even if it's within the few seconds it takes to remove old filter and put on new one. I'd also recommend getting a new gasket for the derby cover when you change primary fluid.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Surfcitydude
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

what kit? Get oil filters on Amazon, lubricants are your choice. I get all mine on Amazon too. Oil every 5000, primary every 10,000, trans every 15,000. I prefer Redline products but there are several good brands on the market. For a drain pan, I cut down an empty 5 quart oil container (laying on its side) and it slides easily under my bike while on the jiffy stand.

Last edited by Surfcitydude; 02-12-2018 at 02:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
INJEKTER (02-16-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:30 PM
03nighttrain
Advanced

Thanks for the info. They have kits out there that run between 80 and 100 bucks but I'll look into different oils. HD sells an attachment that removes the filter. I'm thinking about that too.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:57 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

My advice: go with whatever kit or supplies make you comfortable. You will very likely tweak your tools and methods along the way as you gain experience... so it’s better to start somewhere and just dive in.

And you will be better off no matter what- you’ll save money and keep the poor beastie away from the dealer shop

Old 02-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 1,997 Posts

I've seen redline sells a power pack kit...gets you engine oil , primary and transmission and a free hat so everyone knows what kind of oil you run. But buy what you like ...I like mobile one or the quick silver stuff at Walmart just for convenience...I like redline but nobody sells it near me

Old 02-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

Here we go again with another oil thread, think I'll step in to see who I can **** off. My "Scavenger" system is the best thing since they invented since ice cream. Gets all the old oil out!!! I bought the oil wrench from Harley with the hole in it. I use K & N filters from O'Riellys, Mobile 1 from Wallmart, and Formula+ from Harley. Lots of good oils out there, trick is to keep it clean. I have never let the dealer change my fluids. The Dot 5 brake and clutch needs to be changed out also. It gets moisture in it and can overheat and fail.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:14 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Lots of experts, but I'm not. Having went through what you're deciding to do, here are my thoughts:
*Buy lubricants at Harley for your 1st rodeo. I eventually went to Mobil 1 for the engine but thought about it a lot before I did.
*Buy the right filter from HD. Sure you can save chump change on another brand and maybe they are as good, who knows?
*Get the low profile oil pan from HD and the oil filter wrench. The oil filter wrench makes it easy, so does the low profile oil drain pan. I hesitated on the drain pan but after using it several times, its nice. Treat yourself to a simple pleasure.
*Get the plastic cup that fits around your filter to catch oil as you pull the filter off. It doesn't work worth a damn, and its better than the alternative. Face it - your going to have to go over the machine with a rag regardless. its one of the Twin Cam sins.

If you follow my suggestions you'll save a few bucks over time and feel good about the job you are doing for your machine. I'm sure others can do it cheaper if that is your sole driver.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:44 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,158 Posts

All of the above are great suggestions.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:48 AM
03nighttrain
Advanced

Thanks for all the input. The pan and filter wrench are a definite. I'll get good oils too. I've always had the dealer do this work even on my Night train but that is just a lot of money for this job, and I can turn wrench.
Thanks again, Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '15 Streetglide 103. Oil change kit?