Sponsored by:

Why not a HD "Reverse Gear"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 03:13 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
I also wonder why. I have been caught once, In Joseph, OR (Hell's Canyon). With their steep dropoff for water runoff, I was too far in to back out by myself. Finally, I said to hell with it, pulled in enough to clear the lane behind me and parked. Had a great lunch and upon getting back to my bike, asked for help from passerbys. Showed them where and how to push and one blocked traffic.

Had I been alone, I'd still be there. Had I reverse, it would have been nice. Aside from that time, there have been many iffy times, straining, gaining a 1/2" at a time on what looked to be perfectly flat.

I'm 70, and while I could add a baker to the new Ultra we are going to get, it certainly would be an option for a 900# bike that I would consider standard.

I agree with the OP and further, I think Harley management and engineering has no idea how their touring bikes are used.
I only needed it that one time and got help, but I thought this discussion was to look at what it will take to attract new customers. I know you old farts don't need no stink'n badges, or reverse and nor do I at 70. But in 10 years I'll be 80 and if your answer is, well go buy a f*@king Goldwing, well I guess I'd better wish good luck to Harley.

Good thing I'm not a tough guy, so I'm not worried about my Pirate or 1%er image.

The following 2 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
Gunn58 (02-27-2018), smitty901 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2018, 04:41 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
I only needed it that one time and got help, but I thought this discussion was to look at what it will take to attract new customers. I know you old farts don't need no stink'n badges, or reverse and nor do I at 70. But in 10 years I'll be 80 and if your answer is, well go buy a f*@king Goldwing, well I guess I'd better wish good luck to Harley.

Good thing I'm not a tough guy, so I'm not worried about my Pirate or 1%er image.
You don't have to be a tough guy, pirate, or 1%er to not want HD to become a geezer brand. You can either ride or you can't. If you need reverse than maybe it's time for a trike or yes, a Goldwing.

Adding a reverse gear would do more to kill the brand than help it.

If you need a reverse gear, than there are aftermarket options for the 1% that need it and don't have the common sense to plan ahead.

The following users liked this post:
RollaMo (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 04:46 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

If you need a reverse come to Minnesota, we got some women here that can pick up a bike and move it by themselves! But I gotta tell ya, if they are in the mood, you god damn well better be too!!!!

Old 02-16-2018, 04:48 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,382 Likes on 2,649 Posts

I could use a reverse gear when I'm drunk.....

Old 02-16-2018, 06:07 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
and windows? how about AC?........ sunroof? when the time comes that you need reverse...maybe its trike time.........its not a ****ing gold wing
Nah, it was this comment about the f****ing gold wing that got my goat. But a 900 # bike, two up set for a month touring, I'd consider it, but I'll take the vette before I'd ride a gold wing or a Harley that looks like one. My first Harley was in 1963 and I've had 9 Harley's, so some internet hard nose dyna rider pushing my buttons gets a response. (I don't know what he rides, could be an ultra, comment just seems like what my dyna friends might say over a pbr.)

Old 02-16-2018, 06:21 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Never needed reverse. I tell the wife to get the F off when i need to back it up which i can do with my own two legs within reason. On a trike it should be mandatory equipment. Not on a two wheeler nope.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob175
Can't figure out for the life of me why HD doesn't put a reverse gear on their big cruisers. They have the engineering since they have a reverse on their trikes. The data shows their big cruiser customers are getting older the machines are getting heavier and some of the compettion in the class has reverse gears. I know there are a couple of aftermarket companies that make reverse gears but I'm asking about HD......am I missing something?
Wish they did. I've been researching reverse solutions since i got my 2014. I have a slight uphill backwards push that I have to do every time to put my bike away. I curse it (and my old legs) every time. :0

Old 02-16-2018, 07:51 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts
Old 02-16-2018, 08:16 PM
roadpop
Tourer
Location: Living 33yrs in Sunny Florida !!! Living the retirement dream....Love it!!!
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

I had a buddy whose wife would get off and push him back even just making a simple you turn..I didn’t even want to be seen with him, just to embarrassing...I had a 502 Boss Hoss and they have reverse, but it also weighed 1400 lbs dry..riding a Harley used to mean something and it wasn’t be seen as a wussy boy!! Need reverse? take your car..

Old 02-16-2018, 08:28 PM
dentdave
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall
Wish they did. I've been researching reverse solutions since i got my 2014. I have a slight uphill backwards push that I have to do every time to put my bike away. I curse it (and my old legs) every time. :0
Put one on our 2017 Ultra, well the dealer did it.

http://championsidecars.com/products/reverse-gears/

Last edited by dentdave; 02-16-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Why not a HD "Reverse Gear"?