2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is the harbor freight wheel chock any good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:37 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by roadpop
This isn’t the first one I’ve heard about...Condor your guaranteed it will hold your bike up...that little bit extra $$ is well worth it
Do we know specifically what caused his wife’s bike to fall over? Was the bike tied down properly? Did the the HF chock fail? If so, what failed?

Old 02-20-2018, 05:15 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Do we know specifically what caused his wife’s bike to fall over? Was the bike tied down properly? Did the the HF chock fail? If so, what failed?

I'm not sure why it fell over. The chock appeared to "automatically secure" the front wheel as advertised, and the bike appeared to be stable when gently pushed from side to side. No, it wasn't tied down -you shouldn't have to unless you're going to trailer it or move it around a lot. We left it undisturbed in a climate controlled garage for two weeks, and came home to find it on it's side.

Point is that I'm confident a Condor/PitBull/other quality chock would have supported the bike (full disclosure: I have 3 J&S air jacks and 2 pairs of PitBull bike stands for my scoots). OP, if you're just going to use it to keep the bike upright while changing the oil, the chock should be safe enough if you tie the bike down securely-there are eyes on either side of the chock. It's yours if you want it, PM me, stop around and take it away.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:42 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have two of the following HF wheel chocks... we've used them bolted down to a trailer, and they have worked great for our two bikes. It holds the bike upright while straps are put on, and they've held strong and secure. The bikes get strapped down securely, as you should always do when trailering.

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...ock-60392.html

Last edited by caberto; 02-20-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:18 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have used several Condor ***** over the years and the HF model with no difference in results.

If and that is always a big IF they are set up correctly to the tire size. the pivot point should be parallel to the floor and not leaning towards it or touching.

The leverage of rear of the pivot to the front wheel is what holds the bike into the front part of the chock. The force is by the weight of the bike so the force holding the bike up is the same between either brand. Same bike same weight same forward force.

If that pivot is slanted forward toward the ground there is less force. Also if it is touching the floor it becomes very difficult to pull the bike back off of the chock. Set up correctly it will just ease back as it will not be going up hill to extract.

One additional thing set the straps (all of them) to pull forward. I always used three sets. No matter the number do not have any pulling back. If the front ones fail the rear ones will pull the bike out of the chock. I have seen many posts here over the years with bikes on trailers with the front straps pulling the bike into the chock but the rear straps pulling back!!!!!

All manufacturers say do not tow the bike without straping it in. Condor says one set is okay. However the rear of the bike can move sideways on bumps and turns.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-20-2018 at 07:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
04ctd (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:39 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I've used a HF chock for about 10 years now with no issues. But, I do not rely on it to hold the bike upright. I still use straps to secure the bike, both front and rear. I also use a short strap to hold the wheel securely in the chock to prevent any movement there.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 PM
cupcars
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bolted mine to the trailer floor. Some may say over Kill on the multi sets of straps but this trip was 1008 miles (one way) in about 17 hours and the bike did not move one bit. I had one set of straps on the back crash bars. The trip back had the same results.

As for the OP’s question, I have left my Limited sitting in this wheel chock (not mounted to floor in my house.. yes house) for days without any straps. No failure here..

Old 02-21-2018, 01:25 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

We have two of the heavy black ones and they work great. Never had any issues with them. Also have two condors and have had tied down bikes fall over once on the way back from Sturgis and once from Thunder Beach. After that is when we got the HF ones for a lot less money and have never had an issue since.

Still don't know why the Condors let two different bikes fall and it was on the same Condor. Mounted to the floor, four tie down straps on the bikes. Needless to say that condor wheel chock is no longer in our possession.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:50 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
I'm not sure why it fell over. The chock appeared to "automatically secure" the front wheel as advertised, and the bike appeared to be stable when gently pushed from side to side. No, it wasn't tied down -you shouldn't have to unless you're going to trailer it or move it around a lot. We left it undisturbed in a climate controlled garage for two weeks, and came home to find it on it's side.
did you move the front piece back to make sure it was fit to the diameter of the wheel? that's only way i see them falling in a garage?

my wife's bikes (softails/dyna/yama-saki/Street 750) always required the chock to be moved back.

but on a trailer, it's anything goes. I have seen bikes jump up & down over bumps, the suspension allows it to wiggle side to side, and the bike will LEAN over a long ways, then you have to stop & adjust it. seen this on old U-hauls, enclosed trailers, even pickup trucks.

that's why a chock is a necessity in a trailer, to keep the front wheel centered. (and why the new U-haul trailers have the chock "notch" in the front of the trailer)

Old 02-21-2018, 07:19 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

I have this same chock and it works just fine!! Lag it to the floor and you are golden....

Old 02-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,125 Posts

condor for me just my preference, I have used the HF chock also on my open deck trailer but I believe the condor seems to steady my bagger better

Quick Reply: is the harbor freight wheel chock any good?