Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   Another ESP warranty thread (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1222741-another-esp-warranty-thread.html)

PopsHD 03-12-2018 10:22 AM

Another ESP warranty thread

Who has had the "pleasure" of HD sending an inspector to the dealer for warranty work approval?

My background: 2014 Limited with 32k. Have an HD ESP w/TWW that expires 9/2020. Had a front flat this past weekend. Against my normal habit, I towed it to a local dealer because my indy was out of town. Stopped by dealer this morning to follow-up on work, give other instructions and check to see if tire would be covered under TWW. I will also add that I noticed a nail in the rear. So, I wanted to find out if both would be covered under TWW. Service advisor checks tread depth and both are within range (3/32") per the ESP guidelines. I am also running OEM HD Dunlops on front and rear.

Service advisor calls HD with info and to get approval. They are sending an inspector tomorrow to look at my bike and either approve or deny the claim. Service advisor said he has heard stories from other dealers where inspectors, upon looking at other bikes, have found some to be "modified" in such a way that HD not only didn't approve the warranty work but also voided their remaining ESP coverage. Granted, my bike is not visibly "modified" other than a different header and Rinehart slip ons. Only engine mod is tune and cams. However, that should have no impact on tires and wheels. Now, to what extent HD noticed other bikes being modified in such a way that HD would void their warranty, I don't know. But I will be one upset HD owner if I experience the same. Other than the recalls, I have only submitted one warranty claim, which was for the original rear tire with a nail in the sidewall.

roadpop 03-12-2018 10:36 AM

I think the ESP/wTTT is underwritten by an aftermarket insurer like automobiles and trucks,not HD and if HD can void the warranty most likely the extended can also..not saying they should, but don’t be surprised if it happens...aftermarket insurance companies want to get if off the books ASAP and can really do and say what they want..can’t really fight them..cost more to talk to an Attorney than the repair..Good luck keep us posted!!

hbsoldier3 03-12-2018 10:51 AM

The fact that the dealer called for approval for your situation puzzles me. My dealer has just fixed whatever was required under the warranty (ESP). However, I think at a certain dollar amount or major repair they call for an inspector. There was one case at my dealer where a guy had blown his motor on his Sportster. The inspector checked it out, found a Power Commander and voided the claim. Your tires have nothing to do with your motor as you know. You may want to call another dealer just for information sake, and see if they would call MoCo on a tire warranty issue.

30glock 03-12-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by roadpop (Post 17173078)
I think the ESP/wTTT is underwritten by an aftermarket insurer.

I believe their ESP is entirely underwritten by a third party, after your factory expires, it becomes a threesome my friends.

Boardtrackers ESP also a third party insurer is looking better everyday, so many policies sold at half the price of HD and not one negative review on here all have been positive.

bigrobtemp 03-12-2018 11:39 AM

Change dealers, i am on my 3rd set of tires, along with many other parts covered by the esp.

madmat 03-12-2018 11:55 AM

Maybe the inspector is coming to look at another bike and looking at yours while he is there? A couple tires dosn't seam like it is worth the gas to send someone out.

PopsHD 03-12-2018 01:38 PM

Not sure what normal protocol is for these things, as I have only made one previous claim under the ESP. I do recall that dealer, a different one than this, calling HD for approval. This dealer didn't request an inspector, HD said they were sending one. If they deny the claim, I will pick up the bike and take it to my indy mechanic who is half the price as HD.

As far as the underwriting of the ESP, don't know about that either. My ESP paperwork says Harley-Davidson Extended Service Plan at the top. I suppose that doesn't mean it's not underwritten but that's what the paper says.

Anyhoo, guess I'll know something tomorrow.

IUOE ROB 03-12-2018 01:51 PM

Wondering if you took it to your Indy would a HD inspector still be coming out. Is this a dealer thing or an ESP thing? I had the ESP on my previous Ultra Classic, towards the end of that warranty the Indy found some things wrong and got everything approved (well over $1000 in work) over the phone. I have the ESP on my '14, I'm interested in this outcome as well...good luck and please keep us updated.

Cosmic Razorback 03-12-2018 02:27 PM

Unfortunately people abuse it. The lady that sold me our tire warranty on the 2016 we bought over two years back actually told us how to cheat and get news tires free that would more than cover the cost of the warranty. I told her I could not do that. She was fired three months after we bought our bike for things like this and for promising us other things they would do that were not true and not authorized.

I would not sweat it if you play honest.

Good luck

tbob 03-12-2018 02:27 PM

Is your policy with CNA? and I have seen this if the dealer has been busted on claims.