Sponsored by:

Sissy Bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:31 PM
powermaker
Cruiser

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Sissy Bar

So what is your opinion on sissy bars? I need a black sissy bar and backrest pad for my new black 2018 sgs. I know the harley ones are great, but have also saw a ton of aftermarket ones out there. My question is, who's went with the aftermarket ones, and how was the quality? Don't mind going with Harley, but if the other guys are less than half the price for basically the same product, why not save the money for other things.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:37 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't have experience with backrests but bought luggage racks and mounts from aftermarket companies and they were the same freaking thing.
Compared a luggage rack to my sister's HD unit and she thought it was an HD unit. $300 vs $65....

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 04:53 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by powermaker
So what is your opinion on sissy bars? I need a black sissy bar and backrest pad for my new black 2018 sgs. I know the harley ones are great, but have also saw a ton of aftermarket ones out there. My question is, who's went with the aftermarket ones, and how was the quality? Don't mind going with Harley, but if the other guys are less than half the price for basically the same product, why not save the money for other things.
I bought one off eBay, few differences like the end of the bar end where it attaches to mount (front)is round on the HD, flat on the aftermarket. Other than that its the same.
I will say this the back rest pad looks good but underneath where the staples are the used a lightweight staple. Also the screws they supplied
were too short, trip to the hardware store and a $1.50 fixes that. I am happy with it, no one notices.
Came with a simple flat plate for mounting the pad but the nice HD one will fit.

Attached Thumbnails Sissy Bar-img_3459.jpg   Sissy Bar-img_3460.jpg  

Last edited by barrygreen; 03-16-2018 at 04:55 PM. Reason: I cannot spell
Old 03-16-2018, 05:42 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

ive had both.... the ebay Chinese one... the pad....major pos ......the latching hardware....needed some wrk...it barley moved... after all that though... a different pad would be a must..

Old 03-16-2018, 08:33 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

I love them!

The taller the better!

I miss the catalogs from back in the 70's that had dozens of styles in all heights.

I have actually thought about how you could design one for a Limited with a tour pack just for the look and effect.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:28 AM
powermaker
Cruiser

I’ve got the docking hardware. There are a few black sissy bars with pads and mounts on eBay that look to be popular with the amount they’ve sold, but wasn’t sure what to watch out for. I can use the back pad off my chrome Harley one, but need to get the black bar.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:29 AM
Hammertime1978
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by powermaker
I’ve got the docking hardware. There are a few black sissy bars with pads and mounts on eBay that look to be popular with the amount they’ve sold, but wasn’t sure what to watch out for. I can use the back pad off my chrome Harley one, but need to get the black bar.
I've got one that came off my 2014 SGS it's HD brand. Decided to go with a full size tour-pak I've found that the cheaper back rests/sissy bars don't have as good as a pad and they don't fit on the mounting hardware as tight as the Harley ones. It's a black frame with a nice pad. If your interested, make me an offer.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:59 AM
SSpeeDEMONSS
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought one at the local motorcycle swap meet for $100, I think. Works great. It makes the bike look ugly as hell but it’s only on their when riding 2up and it serves it's purpose just fine.

Garrett

Old 03-17-2018, 02:15 PM
powermaker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hammertime1978
I've got one that came off my 2014 SGS it's HD brand. Decided to go with a full size tour-pak I've found that the cheaper back rests/sissy bars don't have as good as a pad and they don't fit on the mounting hardware as tight as the Harley ones. It's a black frame with a nice pad. If your interested, make me an offer.

PM sent.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:31 PM
bzb123
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
I love them!

The taller the better!

I miss the catalogs from back in the 70's that had dozens of styles in all heights.

I have actually thought about how you could design one for a Limited with a tour pack just for the look and effect.

My sentiments exactly!

still have a stack of Easy Rider magazines in the garage.

went with an old school sissy bar from eBay

Attached Thumbnails Sissy Bar-img_6944.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (03-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Sissy Bar