Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro-Action Shocks

Old 05-07-2018, 10:18 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork

I’m real interested in those as well as I ride almost entirely two up.
Will keep ya posted

The following users liked this post:
lyork (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 10:24 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by jdw1
just curious, who’s lowering blocks are you using?
They're from DK Custum Products as part of the 14" touring package
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/pro-...kg-special.htm

The following 2 users liked this post by MTBIG G:
DK Custom - ST (05-14-2018), jdw1 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 06:35 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,317 Likes on 3,267 Posts

Pretty sure you’ll be happy, that amount of travel should be pretty smooth.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:12 PM
binford6100
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Pulled the trigger and ordered a set yesterday. Hopefully my experience parallels that of others here. 🤞

lyork (05-12-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 04:04 PM
motoguy82
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbubba
I think I'm zeroing in on some Race Tech Emulators or Ricor Intiminators + properly sized springs + fresh, quality oil in the forks then one of the higher-quality offers for the rear. Possibly Ohlins, these Pro-Actions, or JRI.. undecided. Looks like Race Tech has a G3-S offer as well. It's an IFP design. Although it doesn't look to add much tun-ability. The Ohlins S36DR1L is length adjustable which is neat. Can adjust ride-height and geometry. Cool.
I just ordered GS-3 Shocks for my 14 streetglide. I’m pretty sure you can get length adjustable, but it’s a very small amount....BUT you can get any custom length. I went with 12.5” with rebound adjustment no length adjustment. Also got gold valves and springs for the front. Cant wait to install them and try them out!

nhbubba (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 10:01 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Yep..always happens once “you know who” pops up. Countless threads with lots of good information have been deleted because of him.

I’ll add this...I’ve been a lifelong CNC machinist (35 years) ..I do know the how to back off the nylon set screw in the Ohlins adjusting collar. It was backed out SEVERAL TURNS BEFORE TRYING TO ADJUST

What you are seeing is the difference in collar design, and the difference in the hard coated Pro-Action shock (which is HARD) versus the COLOR ONLY ANODIZE of the Ohlin (which is soft)

https://youtu.be/70GTnzJabIY
is there just more preload on that shock spring? kind of an odd comparison IMO, hell the adjuster locking ring on my KTM is plastic.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:23 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes300
is there just more preload on that shock spring? kind of an odd comparison IMO, hell the adjuster locking ring on my KTM is plastic.
No, it’s not the preload causing the issue really, although it is a contributing factor. Just as you see with your plastic ring, it probably adjusts fairly easily as there isn’t any real friction between aluminum and the non-aluminum collar. The Pro Action is hard anodized..which makes it basically a “slick” thread surface. You then couple that with a collar that is split and a lower percentage of thread engagement and you have an extremely smooth, freely spinning collar. Plastic (or more than likely a delrin, or some other phonelic material) collars probably spin pretty smooth as well, and have sufficient strength to compress the spring. Having two soft aluminum surfaces up against each other and a high percentage of thread engagement just makes the other brand susceptible to the material transferring from one surface to the other...

Last edited by lyork; 05-14-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:23 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

No, it’s not the preload causing the issue really, although it is a contributing factor. Just as you see with your plastic ring, it probably adjusts fairly easily as there isn’t any real friction between aluminum and the non-aluminum collar. The Pro Action is hard anodized..which makes it basically a “slick” thread surface. You then couple that with a collar that is split and a lower percentage of thread engagement and you have an extremely smooth, freely spinning collar. Plastic (or more than likely a delrin, or some other phonelic material) collars probably spin pretty smooth as well, and have sufficient strength to compress the spring. Having two soft aluminum surfaces up against each other and a high percentage of thread engagement just makes the other brand susceptible to the material transferring from one surface to the other...

gotcha, a quick cleaning and little lubrication should take care of that.. sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:04 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I just ordered a set,I will at least be able to compare them to Legends.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:12 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes300
gotcha, a quick cleaning and little lubrication should take care of that.. sometimes a little common sense goes a long way.
yep..that should help out a lot. Just don’t use a lube that drys and leaves a sticky residue as it will become a dirt magnet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pro-Action Shocks