Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glad I don't own a Honda

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:37 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I've Harley's since 1971 and currently have a 2017 RGU. Over the years while touring I've had the need for service while on the road. The three times I've needed help the nearest Harley Dealer got me right in, fixed and back on the road. We also have a 2012 Goldwing California Side Car trike. I've never been broke down while on the road. Our local dealers provides good service and they do provide quick service for people traveling who have problems. The Harley network of dealers is one of their strongest selling points when compared to Indian and some other brands.
Bill

Old 04-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I don't know if I will ever buy a new bike becaue of the way my warranty work was handled at one of or biggest dealers in WI.

Curious did Goldwing have x3 or x4 the mileage of yours?

To bad not made in America anymore.

WTF is this in the Rushmore section?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-04-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:36 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
Ya, but it tends to vary towards BMW or Honda on more than one occasion.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:25 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

I'm certainly no fan of H-D dealerships in general, but it IS true that there are a lot of 'em and if ya break down on the road, there's probably one fairly close by.

WAY better than nothin'!

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
This would be a showstopper if I consider a Gold Wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnMhiTiikdQ
Didn't Harley have a bunch of bikes with a similar problem? It's amazing to me that these two companies are able to design and build these bikes, yet neither seem capable of doing something as simple as properly setting the head bearings.

THAT part sure ain't rocket science.

For the record, I bought a '75 Wing and the first and only warranty issue was loose head bearings when I rode it off the lot. Guess they haven't made any real progress on that issue over the last 43 years. Maybe it's just way more complicated than it seems (yeah, that's sarcasm).

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-04-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:09 AM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Only Honda dealer I have seen opened on Sunday is in Hendersonville NC because they are 7th day Adventist.
That is funny every Harley dealer in Ohio is open Sunday. I believe we have 37(give or take 2or3) HD dealers in this state.

Originally Posted by Magnut1
I would never own a Honda, well, first of all I can't see me changing my whole wardrove to colorful billowy shirts, kahki shorts, and bright white Velcro tie tennis shoes, and 2nd of all, they are Japonese. I bought my first Harley in 2000, it had a leak at about 500 miles, the dealer picked my bike up, fixed it, apologized and I was on my way. at about 6K I was riding from S Indiana to Toledo and my dash light, and turn signals quit working. I called Napoleon Harley (back when Marv owned it) and told him my dilemma. He said bring it in, we are backed up but since you are out of town, we will see what we can do. His 2nd best tech worked on it, first was off that day.. he worked for 5 hours on it before finding a pinched wire under the tank. Meanwhile he was repairing it, I was getting hungry, I asked Marv if he had a used bike I could "test drive" to go get something to eat. He handed me keys to his pickup and said it's out back. He let me borrow his $40K Harley Davidson diesel pickup to go to lunch. What a guy. I made the right choice I think.
Great dealership we enjoy visiting there a lot

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-04-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Majority of dealers around here are closed on Sundays. I would have to search alot of sites to find one open in WI, but they are there.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:50 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
I don't know if I will ever buy a new bike becaue of the way my warranty work was handled at one of or biggest dealers in WI.

Curious did Goldwing have x3 or x4 the mileage of yours?

To bad not made in America anymore.

I have 45k, he has 65k.

Also, this post is in the Rushmore section because that’s where I posted it. 😀

Old 05-12-2018, 12:39 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm into motorcycles and I go to look at all kinds of bikes when the wife and I travel, I can say from experience that I have always felt welcome in the Harley dealership's, every one I have been in.... and I can say with the exception of damm few other dealerships I get the impression that they would like me to get my stuff and get out... I definitely am glad I travel on my Harley over my other bikes for the peace of mind that if I did need help I have a chance with the harley's service department, and they are definitely in more places and open most days in the summer. I see why the import shops have 4 and 5 year old inventory.

Last edited by 5150northrider; 05-12-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:01 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

It really is an interesting dynamic. When I rode Goldwings we never went to a Honda dealer unless we needed something. When I ride my Harley, especially on long trips, I will always stop in a Harley dealer if I get near one. Which is kind of weird since they all have pretty much the same stuff. But it’s fun because you meet new people and if it’s a weekend in the summer there’s usually something going on. Food, live bands and such. I hope we don’t lose that if and when the economy gets tight again.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,814 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by dceggert
My local 'Powersports' dealer sells a bunch of brands including Honda and Yamaha. When the new Star Venture was coming out I inquired as to when they would have one to look at. I was told 'we are not getting any except for customer orders. Order one and you can look at it.' Later when the 2018 Gold Wing was on the way I asked again...when will you have a Gold Wing to look at? The response; 'order one and you can look at it.' I have their feed on my Facebook page and they post people buying stuff all the time...mostly dirtbikes, waverunners, and quads. I was advised via the Gold Wing forum that if I really wanted a GW I would have to shop at any of 3 dealers out of state. These dealers were offering test rides and discounted pricing. Other than that, you have to buy one to even look at it around here! Great dealerships....
The Honda dealer here in Syracuse, (Sportsman), never let you even sit on a bike in their showroom. Sales staff didn't want to talk to you unless you where there to order a bike. Honda advertised for an entrepreneur to open a Honda dealership in the 'Cuse while Sportsman was still OPEN! They are now kaput of course.

As to the OP's original post and others regarding the sprinkling of attentive HD dealers all over, very true! For Honda owners, (me still having my '99 cruiser), you have to have their "Gold Book". It lists all GWRRA members and their assets/offerings such as tools, trailer, lodging, gas. I gave a stranded Winger the keys to my car once so he could run around to gather up a new regulator & battery. His wife left my car in my driveway with a $20 in it for gas. I think they were from N.H. They mentioned me in the GWRRA magazine later in the summer.

Quick Reply: Glad I don't own a Honda