Sponsored by:

14" Pro Action shocks on a SG

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:37 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Actually that's how I set my shocks - by the zip tie method, which is the same idea but using the zip tie as an indicator instead of the bumper. You want to use all of your travel. But that doesn't mean there isn't sag. I guarantee you, with any decent shock, there is. In this case Pro Action calculates it using your stats and sends them with the estimated sag already dialed in. But they're smart not to spend too much time on sag (like one noteworthy sponsor here) because in the end, it's going to be adjusted away from that anyway. And if you chose your spring rates correctly, it will likely be close to 1/3rd the total travel. In this case - about an inch.
that is exactly what I did in setting up both of my shocks. FWIW...when I talked to tech at the USA center about “the other shocks” and set up sheet on those, his response...”throw those instructions in the trash”.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:23 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Installed my 13" today,They were pretty close and and a dam fine shock. I did add a turn to preload and will test more tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
lyork (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:02 PM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=nevada72;17374937 In this case Pro Action calculates it using your stats and sends them with the estimated sag already dialed in. But they're smart not to spend too much time on sag (like one noteworthy sponsor here) because in the end, it's going to be adjusted away from that anyway. And if you chose your spring rates correctly, it will likely be close to 1/3rd the total travel. In this case - about an inch.[/QUOTE]

Well that’s all fine in there theory on how there shocks are set up for individual ride specs sent, I can assure that the shocks I ordered for my wife’s 16 SGS arrived 3 turns to tight for me and I’m 50 lbs heavier than her. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not taking issue with you or your situation with your shocks. I’m just saying they where a long way from close as far as I’m concerned, in fact I think I only have one or two turns left to go soft to play with.

One thing they need to do is document on your installation instructions is how your shocks are set up for delivery for you for future reference for the owner. Spring weigh, spring setting turns, dampening settings per each shock. Jmo!

The other thing I thought was interesting, nowhere was it mentioned in the “Tools needed for installation” was there any mention of a torque wrench until the last steps of the installation instructions.
I don’t think that’s to much to ask for for $800.00

Once again, JMO!

sorry one more thing, personally I don’t like the zip tie method just because of the chance of damaging the shaft cutting the zip ties off. JMO

Last edited by jdw1; 05-20-2018 at 10:05 PM.
hbsoldier3 (07-12-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 07:16 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
Not a SG but a RKS. Sits about 5/8" taller than stock until I sit on it.

If your not 300 lbs or ride a lot of 2 up it may be a little rough. It's not terrible solo (I'm about 260 and too lazy to adjust for solo) but it's SUPER nice when I have the wife on the back.
Dang that is a good looking ride!

Old 07-10-2018, 07:34 AM
1Sebago
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased the 14" Pro Action shocks with the 1" lowering blocks from DK. I have about 300 miles on them now on bumpy New England roads. The ride is great. I no longer feel the small bumps and the larger ones are firm but I have not bottomed out yet. Thats riding 2 up with gear at about 440lbs total. I have not adjusted them yet and I'm sure I can fine tune for softer ride. I am completly satisfied with them and glad I went for the longer shocks.

DK Custom - ST (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:19 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Actually that's how I set my shocks - by the zip tie method, which is the same idea but using the zip tie as an indicator instead of the bumper. You want to use all of your travel. But that doesn't mean there isn't sag. I guarantee you, with any decent shock, there is. In this case Pro Action calculates it using your stats and sends them with the estimated sag already dialed in. But they're smart not to spend too much time on sag (like one noteworthy sponsor here) because in the end, it's going to be adjusted away from that anyway. And if you chose your spring rates correctly, it will likely be close to 1/3rd the total travel. In this case - about an inch.
I saw what you did there..................

nevada72 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 08:58 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
i saw what you did there..................
lol. 😉

Old 07-12-2018, 08:47 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jdw1

Well that’s all fine in there theory on how there shocks are set up for individual ride specs sent, I can assure that the shocks I ordered for my wife’s 16 SGS arrived 3 turns to tight for me and I’m 50 lbs heavier than her. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not taking issue with you or your situation with your shocks. I’m just saying they where a long way from close as far as I’m concerned, in fact I think I only have one or two turns left to go soft to play with.

One thing they need to do is document on your installation instructions is how your shocks are set up for delivery for you for future reference for the owner. Spring weigh, spring setting turns, dampening settings per each shock. Jmo!

The other thing I thought was interesting, nowhere was it mentioned in the “Tools needed for installation” was there any mention of a torque wrench until the last steps of the installation instructions.
I don’t think that’s to much to ask for for $800.00

Once again, JMO!

sorry one more thing, personally I don’t like the zip tie method just because of the chance of damaging the shaft cutting the zip ties off. JMO

I would send them back and get my money back.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:34 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by bundy43
I would send them back and get my money back.
I agree on sending Ohlins back for a refund. Until they resolve the design of the shock body and collar, it’s only a matter of time before the threads are destroyed

Old 07-12-2018, 01:45 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork

I agree on sending Ohlins back for a refund. Until they resolve the design of the shock body and collar, it’s only a matter of time before the threads are destroyed
Oh come on. There's thousands of folks running Ohlins with no issues at all. While it's not my favorite adjustment mechanism, anyone with a modicum of mechanical ability and common sense can adjust them for a lifetime without galling the threads. Ohlins makes a premium shock that pretty much represents the pinnacle of current technology. Personally I didn't like them on my SGS, but I still recognize them as a top choice.

That said, I much prefer the adjustment on my Progressive shocks. No tools and very easy. No chance of cross threading even if one is ham-fisted.

Quick Reply: 14" Pro Action shocks on a SG