Sponsored by:

Pro Action 14" shocks vs Stock Air Ride - 14 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts
Default Pro Action 14" shocks vs Stock Air Ride - 14 Street Glide

I am looking at these and the technical review (link below) and am convinced I need to go for an upgrade in ride quality. In the review it states that the 14" are best when 2-up or when a rider is 300+lbs, stating that the ride quality is not as good as the 13" in solo conditions with a less than 300# rider. That being said, who owns these and rides solo? I am interested in the ride characteristics compared to the stock shocks and not other upgrades. I ride 2-up about 50% of the time and we definitely need some improvement in that area but I still want to be able to ride aggressively solo. It sounds like, from the review, that these are still really good solo but just not as good as the 13" which are supposed to also be good. I am not too worried that I won't like them, I am just trying to dig a little deeper into this before I drop a grand on shocks and lowering blocks.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/medi...est_Report.pdf

Old 05-21-2018, 09:34 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts
Old 05-21-2018, 09:36 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

I run the 14" with 1" lowering blocks on my 17 RKS, solo it's a little rough but I could adjust the spring up to soften the ride but I don't as I'm just lazy. I basically ride solo as a work commuter, my longer rides are 99% 2 up.

2-up is where they shine for me, I'm 250/260 and the wife is 175. No bouncing, no bottoming out just solid wheel to the ground.

I looked at quality air before deciding on the PA's. Air is never going to give you the solid ride a quality a spring gives but if I were riding more long distance rides solo, I'd probably have gone air just for the ease of switching between solo and 2-up. Having said that, I really don't mind the stiffer ride when commuting, lets me be a little more aggressive in the corners anyway

I have zero regrets with the PA's and dealing with DK.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:21 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bunker
I run the 14" with 1" lowering blocks on my 17 RKS, solo it's a little rough but I could adjust the spring up to soften the ride but I don't as I'm just lazy. I basically ride solo as a work commuter, my longer rides are 99% 2 up.

2-up is where they shine for me, I'm 250/260 and the wife is 175. No bouncing, no bottoming out just solid wheel to the ground.

I looked at quality air before deciding on the PA's. Air is never going to give you the solid ride a quality a spring gives but if I were riding more long distance rides solo, I'd probably have gone air just for the ease of switching between solo and 2-up. Having said that, I really don't mind the stiffer ride when commuting, lets me be a little more aggressive in the corners anyway

Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind, I would like to dig a little further. By air, are you talking about aftermarket air or the stock air. Also, I am about 215 and my wife is around 170 so the preload for 2-up should be very similar to yours. Do you think that the preload could be reduced for solo ride without causing it to bottom on 2-up rides? That being said, if the ride is better than the stock air I won't want to mess with it. I am ok with the stock ride but my setup is for 2 up so already stiff (@ 45psi on preload).

Old 05-21-2018, 11:24 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Yeah, I read that thread and there wasn't any real comparison on the 14" setup for 2 riders that compared to the stock setup solo. I just want to get an idea of how the 2-up setup on the 14" will work solo because of the review said the 13" were better in that scenario. IF they are both 10x times better than stock then that won't matter....right?

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rocket67
Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind, I would like to dig a little further. By air, are you talking about aftermarket air or the stock air. Also, I am about 215 and my wife is around 170 so the preload for 2-up should be very similar to yours. Do you think that the preload could be reduced for solo ride without causing it to bottom on 2-up rides? That being said, if the ride is better than the stock air I won't want to mess with it. I am ok with the stock ride but my setup is for 2 up so already stiff (@ 45psi on preload).
I looked at top tier aftermarket air setups with rebound as well as separate "quick" setups for solo and 2 -up.

I had a set of 12" PA on my RGS but decided they didn't have enough travel for 2-up (my wife after 13 years decided she wanted to start riding with me). I ended up with a 17 RGU that went swimming during Harvey and was replaced with my current RKS. I mention all these so I can compare the sportier aggressive setup I had on my RGS compared to a stock 17 RGU which I thought was better (2 up) until I went with the 14" PA with lowering blocks. This is THE best setup I've used so far for 2 up with our combined weight. I can't tell you how many times we bottomed out or scrapped mufflers on the RGS, RGU was better for sure, but the PA setup is better.

It is very easy to adjust the preload, loosen a screw and turn the collar, just a pita taking bags off and on (I have bag lights so unplugging etc). It would also take a few trys to get the preload and rebound setups to where you'd like for solo and 2-up. I DO plan on doing this, just not today

Old 05-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Give George at PA or call DK and ask them about your weights combinations, you may very well be better served with the 13"

Old 05-21-2018, 01:58 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Default Thanks

Give George at PA or call DK and ask them about your weights combinations, you may very well be better served with the 13"
I want as much travel as I can get. I will call before I order if I ultimately decide to go that way. Definitely leaning in that direction. Thanks for the real world comparison. If I get them I may go a little softer on the 2-up which is why I am looking at the 14".