Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Bike Drop...Ever

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:21 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Hey Dave, I asked a Motorcop how he tells a good rider from a poser. He said he walks up to the bike and slides his hand across the bottom of the crash bars. If they are not scuffed up, he says the owner isn't a rider, just a pretender. If the bottoms are all scuffed up, he says he knows this rider practices hard, and he knows what he's doing with a bike. I thought that was pretty neat.
Can't say I agree with that anymore. I would normally think that LEO was right. And TYPCIALLY IS.

My 1st several bikes as I was learning to make locked turns had that area scuffed up a LOT. Also running ~32K miles a year, I would get a new bike every 3 yrs. If you check this bike I have now that is 2 yrs old, you will see no or almost no scuff marks since I do not drop it as much anymore. Actually hardly ever.

Now I can tell a "poser" by how they stop/start, ride, if the rider looks comfortable in the saddle, how the rider puts his/hers foot/feet down. There are many tell tales.

Last night a new guy joined our riding club. And the way he rode up to us to tentatively with little confidence, I am figuring this guy needs experience. As soon as we started riding, he again was very slow and tentative/unsure.

Nothing wrong with the lack of expertise. I am not downing anyone. Just replying to the comment made above.

BuzzCap7

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:18 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

If you're making payments, then you must have full coverage insurance. Get the parts replaced and let it pay for 'em.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:20 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan D.
I don't even use my jiffy stand anymore... Just throw it down on whatever side I feel like. Sometimes I don't even wait until it's stopped fully.
Now, dammit, yer gonna hafta change that avatar if ya expect us to actually read yer posts!!!

Old 06-22-2018, 08:32 AM
BuzzCap7

BuzzCap7

Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Did my first drop recently too. Only rashed the front guard and not too noticeable. Was certainly panicked thinking my lowers, my bags. Nope all good. Smooth it down and maybe find some chrome paint or clear coat to protect the metal. It will likely happen again for me and others
I'm impressed at how good some of the chrome looking paint is. Do some research on comparisons. There's a lot of choices out there.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 AM
dynarider1821
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been riding 20+ years and had my first bike drop a few months ago in my driveway while trying to back up my "new to me" 2014 Ultra limited. My driveway angles down from the garage and well down she went. I injured my knee trying to save it. learned not to do that again! Luckily a guy was driving by and saw the whole thing, turned around and helped me get it upright. so embarrassed and hurt I thanked him with a beer and a hand shake.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:03 PM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

Hey Dave, I asked a Motorcop how he tells a good rider from a poser. He said he walks up to the bike and slides his hand across the bottom of the crash bars. If they are not scuffed up, he says the owner isn't a rider, just a pretender. If the bottoms are all scuffed up, he says he knows this rider practices hard, and he knows what he's doing with a bike. I thought that was pretty neat.
True, I'll post pictures of my floorboards sometime. My right is worn close to the rubber, left is harder to wear down, but it's on my list! LOL

Old 06-24-2018, 08:30 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Can't say I agree with that anymore. I would normally think that LEO was right. And TYPCIALLY IS.

My 1st several bikes as I was learning to make locked turns had that area scuffed up a LOT. Also running ~32K miles a year, I would get a new bike every 3 yrs. If you check this bike I have now that is 2 yrs old, you will see no or almost no scuff marks since I do not drop it as much anymore. Actually hardly ever.

Now I can tell a "poser" by how they stop/start, ride, if the rider looks comfortable in the saddle, how the rider puts his/hers foot/feet down. There are many tell tales.

Last night a new guy joined our riding club. And the way he rode up to us to tentatively with little confidence, I am figuring this guy needs experience. As soon as we started riding, he again was very slow and tentative/unsure.

Nothing wrong with the lack of expertise. I am not downing anyone. Just replying to the comment made above.

BuzzCap7
Hey Buzz, call me chicken(which I guess I am) , but how do you get yourself trained to do Full lock turns while practicing U-turns? I just CAN NOT get myself to lock those bars. I don't know why I have such a fear of doing it.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:17 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

I remember taking my MSC course the instructor saying we will all drop are bikes at some time it just how we go down. I remember saying to myself thats nuts ill never drop mine, on my fourth Bike and i drop them all at lease once. Dropped my Harleys at lease 3 times each due to the jiffy stands took some time to get use to. Lucy no major damages to any of them so its going to happen.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:11 PM
BuzzCap7

Hey Buzz, call me chicken(which I guess I am) , but how do you get yourself trained to do Full lock turns while practicing U-turns? I just CAN NOT get myself to lock those bars. I don't know why I have such a fear of doing it.
EXCELLENT question. This is how I did it.

I got the DVD by Jerry Palladino called Ride Like A Pro. I have since bought that DVD for many riders and I will buy yours for you too.....just PM me) and I studied, studied the video.

I then went to FAU (a school nearby where the police practiced) and I put the cones up. Then I did what the video was teaching.

Exactly like the video said, in 3-4 hours I was making EXCELLENT sharp turns. YES, I dropped 'me bike several times.

Over the next few days GOV5, I kept practicing and was scraping my floorboards and at a full LEFT AND RIGHT lock (I was shocked I could lock BOTH sides) really well. In fact, I forced the bike down so far, I was actually scraping the floorboard supports. <-- NOT smart NOT recommended.

I was wearing out the sides of my front tire several times and had to replace the floorboards having worn them down.

I think u can now get the link to the Ride Like A Pro DVD and download it right to your computer. I do not make 1 penny from it. I just LOVE that DVD.

Don't get cocky. <-- Don't get cocky. You will be able to whip the bike around like it was a little toy.

You can also put guards like a heater hose on your crash bar if u have them on your bike.

It is wicked fun!

There are also classed that teach THIS program and others like it. I am not talking about the general MTII advanced class. They do not teach the scraping the floorboards/locking techniques. THAT is what the police do. YOUR control of the big is AWESOME!!!!

My offer to you stands for the DVD. Let us know what you do if you like. GOOD LUCK it will make you a FASNTASTIC rider and SAFER as well especially in parking lots. Again, just don't get cocky with being able to rreally just ship the bike around.

My very best to you GOV5. Don't be a stranger.

BuzzCap7

Quick Reply: First Bike Drop...Ever