Sponsored by:

Feeling better about ESP purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 05:01 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by dave the welder
ESP are like gambling, the house always wins! But if they give the warm and fuzzy feeling, it's cool.
NO, the "house" doesn't ALWAYS win. Now, if you mean that they win on more bikes than they lose, YES! , you are right. But if you are one of the ones that have had a radio go out, or shifter shaft, or a compensator, or a water pump, or a "you name it" part, then the ESP pays for itself many times over.

Dave, these new bikes have so much electronic stuff on them, they aren't like the older bikes where a decent wrench could repair just about anything on them. The ESP for those folks really wasn't worth it. But that isn't the case anymore. The newer bikes require electronic"test and fix" equipment that only a dealer can cost justify. And "electronics" aren't "fixed". they are REPLACED! And that replacement is COSTLY!.
This is why ESPs are now so popular. Now if you have deep pockets, forget all I said.....you can self-insure.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:21 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I am getting ready to renew a esp and have been talking to my dealer. The quote is 2400 for five years. I just looked at Cornerstone and it is 1348(no brainer) My question is have any of you that have the cornerstone contract is Have you used it yet and was it accepted at the dealer without any problems or bullshit from them about it not being a HD esp.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:48 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
I am getting ready to renew a esp and have been talking to my dealer. The quote is 2400 for five years. I just looked at Cornerstone and it is 1348(no brainer) My question is have any of you that have the cornerstone contract is Have you used it yet and was it accepted at the dealer without any problems or bullshit from them about it not being a HD esp.
I have not seen any negative post referencing lack of coverage from Cornerstone, My bike is currently being serviced at an HD shop for lifters, although the dealer never seen or worked with Cornerstone, his exact quote was he didn't care who paid for the repair. Also you have the option of taking your bike to an authorized Indy for repairs and they will cover it, not an option with HD.

The Dealership will call the claim in today, and i will update this post with results. Cornerstone covers exactly everything HD covers, 1,100 parts, it mirrors the HD coverage.

Last edited by 30glock; 06-21-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 AM
GHarris
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I emailed Jim Palmer yesterday about a ESP on my 17 Road King. I believe I'm going to go ahead and get 3 more years of coverage. I've not had any problems but the possibility is always there. I ride about 18,000 miles per year so chances are I would have something break or wear out in nearly 100k. If it doesn't I will be surprised and happy.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:57 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
Both dealerships that I frequent when seeing I didn't have the "Harley" ESP they push were like "well, hopefully they are easy to deal with. Almost no one has and ESP not from HD, etc." Both places said Cornerstone was the easiest ESP in the world to deal with when it was all said and done.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:12 PM
lazybee
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I've used my Cornerstone 1 time for a blown shock. The service writer gave me some jazz because it was not with HD. The replacement shock was authorized without issue. Cornerstone pays the dealer over the phone during their normal business hours. They were closed when I picked up my bike. I paid the bill and sent it to Cornerstone. I had a check in about 10 days.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:19 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by 30glock
I have not seen any negative post referencing lack of coverage from Cornerstone, My bike is currently being serviced at an HD shop for lifters, although the dealer never seen or worked with Cornerstone, his exact quote was he didn't care who paid for the repair. Also you have the option of taking your bike to an authorized Indy for repairs and they will cover it, not an option with HD.

The Dealership will call the claim in today, and i will update this post with results. Cornerstone covers exactly everything HD covers, 1,100 parts, it mirrors the HD coverage.
My Indy is an authorized HD ESP repair shop.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Drtumolo
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I just received a quote from Jim and they no longer use Cornerstone. They now use First Extended. Anyone have experience with this company?

Old 06-21-2018, 02:07 PM
BgDadddy
Road Captain
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I just bought the ESP last month. Online reviews for First Extended are pretty dismal, but in an email, Jim Palmer told me that First Extended just administrates the plan, and that he has the final say over what gets approved or not. Since I have it in writing, and he has a good reputation, I went ahead and got the ESP.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:59 PM
stuckinnj
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on ESP. Another $500 Repair and I’ll be even. Thinking it was smart purchase.

Quick Reply: Feeling better about ESP purchase