Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a secret to this??

Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 AM
1989FLHS
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is there a secret to this??

I've had the dealer change the oil once in my 2016 RGU at the initial break in stage mileage. ( Bought bike new) I'm now approaching 5,000 miles and will need oil changed again pretty soon. I'm 53 years old, and always wrenched on my own equipment, cars, trucks, motorcycles. I've changed the oil in my 1989 FLHS for years, getting that filter off is gravy train, no mess, no spillages on the engine. My question is on my 2016 RGU, is there a secret other than a funnel I've seen to eliminate oil running from the filter all over the front of the engine??? I've heard take a long thin screwdriver and poke a hole in the filter and let it drain before removal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:51 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

It’s an odd design for sure LOL. The only thing that works for me is stuffing a bunch of those blue mechanic paper towels under the filter, spinning it off quickly and tipping it down away from the attachment point as soon as it’s loose. The towels absorb “almost all” of the oil, and you can Dab up the few drips and drops that get past easily.

That guy with the ride it wrench it videos does it the same way. It seems to work, but nothing is perfect LOL

The following users liked this post:
Beaux (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 08:00 AM
Check6
Road Captain

Received 299 Likes on 140 Posts

I cut up an empty milk jug (plastic of course) and I just trim it to where I can fit it as a runoff under the oil filter. It wraps about half of the bottom side of the filter and is long enough to let the oil run out away from the engine and into the drain pan. You'll have to break the filter loose first, but not so much that oil starts leaking out, insert the milk jug plastic, then reach in an take the filter off by hand, holding the plastic in place with your other hand.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,992 Likes on 1,997 Posts

You can get a plastic tray from the dealer...insert groan and eye roll here...that slides up under the filter and if you're careful will catch most of the oil. I loosen my filter first then stick that tray under and add some paper towels under it near the filter to catch any oil...works pretty good

Old 06-23-2018, 08:13 AM
goldie
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a formable funnel I put under the filter. I then take an awl and punch a hole high and low in the filter and let that drain into a pan. If I'm patient enough it leaves very little clean up and mess....goldie

Old 06-23-2018, 08:14 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Check6
I cut up an empty milk jug (plastic of course) and I just trim it to where I can fit it as a runoff under the oil filter. It wraps about half of the bottom side of the filter and is long enough to let the oil run out away from the engine and into the drain pan. You'll have to break the filter loose first, but not so much that oil starts leaking out, insert the milk jug plastic, then reach in an take the filter off by hand, holding the plastic in place with your other hand.

Hope this helps.
+1 A tall one liter water bottle works too, cut in half.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:28 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,163 Posts

I use the Harley funnel, punch holes in the filter at 12 and 6 with a long phillips screwdriver and shop towels under the filter. Works for me.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:41 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Sometimes I like to get the engine warm, take out the drain plug, poke 2 holes in the oil filter, walk away till morning.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:36 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I use the towel method and the hole in the filter. May I suggest you lossen the filter just a tad before you poke holes in the filter. As a rule I use the towel method. I'm getting ready to service my RGU M8 this week all three holes. At 69 I still enjoy wrenching and feel I do a better job than the dealer.
Bill

Old 06-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Firenailer
It’s an odd design for sure LOL. The only thing that works for me is stuffing a bunch of those blue mechanic paper towels under the filter, spinning it off quickly and tipping it down away from the attachment point as soon as it’s loose. The towels absorb “almost all” of the oil, and you can Dab up the few drips and drops that get past easily.

That guy with the ride it wrench it videos does it the same way. It seems to work, but nothing is perfect LOL
What he ^ said!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there a secret to this??