Sponsored by:

Pro-Action - Spoke with George Today

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

HD never fails to amaze me with STUPID!
They actually just spring one side of the swing arm? !!
That will produce a real twitcher.
Tar snakes, cracks, bumps would produce all kinds of rear steering!
No doubt they will make an "SE kit" for it............................LOL

Old 07-19-2018, 04:16 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
You're way over-thinking this. The shocks are the same both sides. Setting both the same provides control over a narrow range of conditions. Setting them differently provides control of a wider range of conditions.
I’d say that’s right...0 clicks on the left and 5 clicks on the right makes for a different ride than 2 clicks left and 4 clicks right, which is where I’m at now thanks to George.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:32 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,414 Likes on 4,018 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Are you referring to the HD shock vid I posted?. .

I wasn't taking issue with the video, just throwing some things I've read into the discussion for feedback...

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I've been reading a lot about motorcycle shocks... and I try to learn about/understand what I read...

Old 07-23-2018, 09:58 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,667 Likes on 2,676 Posts

I just got off the phone with George and as most have posted prior, it was a positive experience. They are in between rallies, so you know they are covered up with work, but you'd never know it when you're talking to them. I called to order the 13" shocks expecting at least a couple weeks to have them built and delivered, but they will ship out today and should be at my house on Thursday. I can't wait to get them on the bike and start dialing them in. If it goes as well as the first half of the transaction, as I expect it will, my suspension will finally be complete. I'll report back with my set up and ride results once I have some miles under them.

The following users liked this post:
lyork (07-23-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 06:44 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

So... first impressions. First things first, I was expecting them to arrive on Thursday. Everyone knows the “waiting on new motorcycle parts” anticipation. To see them sitting outside the garage door when I rolled up made my day. Install was simple and straight forward. I had taken my key inside and set off my “alarm” on the bike. I noticed I had a tail light out. Asked the wife if she wanted to ride with me to go pick up a replacement and she did. Best ride either of us have ever had on the bike. I was surprised when I got back and found the bumper sitting all of the way at the bottom. We never felt the bike bottom out, but didn’t hit anything too major either. I’ll put a turn in the preload on both sides and test it again on the way to work tomorrow. If it gets even better from here I’ll be amazed. The ride is fantastic! Service has been great. Highly recommend these shocks to anyone that is on the fence.

The only negative that I can find is that I now have some tuning to do on the Ohlins 30mm cartridges up front to get them up to the performance of the rear. No doubt they are capable, it’s all in the tuning.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:34 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the update! Check to see if the bumper was all the way on the bottom though. I thought mine was on the bottom, but like you, my wife and I never felt it bottom out. I put a turn in, then another half turn, and still thought the bumper was on the bottom after the ride. I then took my key and pushed down on it, uhhh...nope, wasn’t on the bottom as I thought.

By the way..do not use a zip tie, the bumper is much easier and no risk of damage. (George told me that too)

Old 07-25-2018, 09:27 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lyork
Thanks for the update! Check to see if the bumper was all the way on the bottom though. I thought mine was on the bottom, but like you, my wife and I never felt it bottom out. I put a turn in, then another half turn, and still thought the bumper was on the bottom after the ride. I then took my key and pushed down on it, uhhh...nope, wasn’t on the bottom as I thought.

By the way..do not use a zip tie, the bumper is much easier and no risk of damage. (George told me that too)
Thanks for the heads up. I put a turn in it already, but I will doublecheck by pushing down on it before making any more adjustments. If I push it down more than an 1/8” when I check it again, I’ll put them back to where they were and try again. Really freaking impressed with these shocks. You know how those Cross Fit people can’t shut up about their workouts? That’s how I am about these shocks right now. I’ve been texting all my HD friends tonight.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

Yes, the ride is amazing. The adjustments are so easy too. George really did a fantastic job on these shocks.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I’ve already upgraded my 18 RG to Ohlins 559, which were a great improvement. Are the PAs a lot better than Ohlins? In which case I blew it by getting the touted Ohlins rather tha PAs....

Old 07-26-2018, 01:17 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
I’ve already upgraded my 18 RG to Ohlins 559, which were a great improvement. Are the PAs a lot better than Ohlins? In which case I blew it by getting the touted Ohlins rather tha PAs....
559 0r 159?

Quick Reply: Pro-Action - Spoke with George Today