2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Failure and Repair / 2016 RGU (Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:35 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 ultra
any word on the new pump part number?
Per post 70 above, they didn't come out with a new part number they just removed the back ordered status from the current part number this week. Other post said the current part number was marked obsolete in the HD dealers parts system, no one said anything about it being on back order. So I'm not sure whats going on.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:47 PM
94 ultra
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

yea thats great
thanks HD

Old 07-21-2018, 05:48 PM
kennyd4110
Advanced
Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by r0de_runr
I just picked up a used pump ( 26600012 ) on eBay. Any special notes on opening it up to inspect? I'd like to take photos and add to this thread, and assemble a "kit" of all parts needed to replace a bad pump. Suggestion welcome.

Paid $125. I have the ESP anyway for another 18 months, but will have a spare for someone passing through or a fellow club member.

They are easy to open with a T8 driver. If you want to bench test here is the polarity:

Old 07-22-2018, 08:34 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

This is quite a thread...great reading!
But here's a thought...Won't the 103 air cooled heads bolt on? How about trashing the whole water cooled setup and go back to air cooling and use it as an excuse to build your motor. 10:1+ with a good tune and head work would make a REAL good running bike. Hell, even trash the cylinders it ya need to to go big bore.

If/when I ever decide to build this motor I'm really gonna look into going waterless.
Ya, It's not an answer to the water pump problem but maybe an alternative.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:44 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
Per post 70 above, they didn't come out with a new part number they just removed the back ordered status from the current part number this week. Other post said the current part number was marked obsolete in the HD dealers parts system, no one said anything about it being on back order. So I'm not sure whats going on.
This is what the parts guy told me. They showed the part number as being obsolete and then a few days later they showed it being taken off back order and that's where it stands of a couple of days ago. All this and the part number never changed.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:43 PM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I would be more worried that the price didn't jump 25%

Old 07-23-2018, 05:10 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson
This is quite a thread...great reading!
But here's a thought...Won't the 103 air cooled heads bolt on? How about trashing the whole water cooled setup and go back to air cooling and use it as an excuse to build your motor. 10:1+ with a good tune and head work would make a REAL good running bike. Hell, even trash the cylinders it ya need to to go big bore.

If/when I ever decide to build this motor I'm really gonna look into going waterless.
Ya, It's not an answer to the water pump problem but maybe an alternative.
Brilliant idea If i still the 103 i would definitely take that into consideration.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Sledziu
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
OK we keep hearing about an updated part number coming out. Anyone hear when and what the new number will be ? Maybe just an "A" after the number they use now.
I had the same situation last week and I have got in contact with my local HD service dept and got a new updated version of water pump. According to HD this is updated version of water pump and don't have the original pump issue. I have on the clock only 10K. I got this number from service dept together with a quote so I am guessing this is a new P/N: 26600012. Still waiting for pump to arrive so I could be back on the road again.

Also disassembled my old pump and found exactly the same problem and I "welded" them back together but this over engineered pump drive solution. Why HD couldn't installed a shaft driven pump for cooling water????

I hope they will come up with some really good solution and this "upgraded" pump will work for good.

Keep the rubber side down.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:18 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledziu
I had the same situation last week and I have got in contact with my local HD service dept and got a new updated version of water pump. According to HD this is updated version of water pump and don't have the original pump issue. I have on the clock only 10K. I got this number from service dept together with a quote so I am guessing this is a new P/N: 26600012. Still waiting for pump to arrive so I could be back on the road again.

Also disassembled my old pump and found exactly the same problem and I "welded" them back together but this over engineered pump drive solution. Why HD couldn't installed a shaft driven pump for cooling water????

I hope they will come up with some really good solution and this "upgraded" pump will work for good.

Keep the rubber side down.
That is the old part number. However, we have learned from the ABS brake issue on 2008-2011 models that parts don't necessarily receive a new number or letter designation (A, B, C...) when the part has been modified or changed, or vendors have changed. I'd be surprised if your new pump is actually an updated version.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:30 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Old part number. History shows that HD normally gives an updated part an A, B or C letter after the same part number. Don't know about the ABS updated part number, but i believe it may have had something to do with it being a recalled part. But when they had recalled brake light switch back in 12 it was an updated part number they used. So who knows ? I hope they have upgraded this crappy pump. Maybe they are trying to avoid a class action lawsuit ? Trust no one when it come to HD's phoney crap.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Failure and Repair / 2016 RGU (Lots of Pics)