Sponsored by:

Reliability of the Rushmore

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,831 Likes on 8,405 Posts
Default Reliability of the Rushmore

Harley has come a long way in their engineering, however, they still pretty much suck at the common problems, i.e. front motor mount, compensator, water pump. Real hard to fix right. The after market seems to be able to jump to the occasion and provide the fixes right away while the Harley team is out to lunch, oblivious to the problems.
For the average rider who might put 3K on their bike each year, they have no idea what those problems might be. I've been putting over 20K a year on mine and with retirement, that will probably go to well over 30K.
My 16RGU is currently in a shop for a compensator and a front engine mount. It appears that my riding season is over as the backup in the dealer and indys around here is 8 - 10 weeks. Shows the reliability of these POS.
A friend recently suggested to me that I might consider a BMW for a more reliable touring bike. Sure, I can go on line and read the specs and they all glow, just as the specs on Harleys glow. The price of a top touring BMW is about the same as a RGU but their performance runs circles around our hogs. I'm trying to dig into the true reliability of them. If they turn out to be as good as their performance is, I'll sell my hog and go German.
I'm into my retirement years and I certainly don't want to sit around at home while my bike is on a wait list behind 20 dozen bikes that need an oil change.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:29 PM
top0211
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Do as you like, but I have 17k on my 2016 Limited and haven't had any issues. I know an older rider who switched to BMW and was back on a Harley three months later. For me, I like what I have. I am satisfied with what I have. I read here of those with issues and complaints, but my guess is the majority won't have enough issues to off load the Harley. Best of luck with your repairs and decision.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:59 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

That's a decision only you can make based on your circumstances. If I were in the same situation, I'd buy the parts and do the work myself. Anyway, Gunny, I wish you the best if that's your final decision.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

If reliability is your main concern, then Yamaha leads in that department. Also, the last time I checked, BMW was the least reliable. Not sure if that was an old survey or not.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:51 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts
The following users liked this post:
top0211 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:09 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Get the Beemer

I think if you think you would be much happier with a BMW, you should get one. I'm sure they are nice bikes. I talked with 2 guys in WA state recently who had GSA's and they loved them. I wouldn't mind having one but am a little wary of the maintenance costs - based on perception, not experience. As for me, in the last 28 years I've owned 3 Harley touring bikes and one GL1500 Gold Wing. I can attest that the Gold Wing was generally as reliable as the Harleys. But certainly not any more reliable. All four had minor items that needed attention. The 2014 Ultra Limited I have now has been the most reliable to date, although I've only had it for 5 riding seasons.
Good luck with your Beemer.

top0211 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:52 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,831 Likes on 8,405 Posts

Thanks for the links.
That really provided some information. I just can't see riding a Yamaha and now my perspective of the BMW is shot all to hell.
I guess this just has to be the accepted norm. Maybe I should just buy another Harley so I can have one running while the other is in the shop for repairs.

Bafflingbs (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Mertoid
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Buying a second bike is exactly what I was going to suggest. I have more than one for several reasons and your situation is one of them.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:32 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

IF I could pull it off right now, I would love to have a BMW K1600B Bagger.

I would have it parked right next to my YellowBird!

Steve @ Fullsac made a video of his on his Dyno. Sick HP & TQ out of the box, automatic clutch, with all the gadgets.

Only complainted I heard about is the radio. Video of Steve @ Fullsac with his on the Dyno, and second shows his Dyno graph on a 4th gear pull.

YB

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=08WxqSEWBxc#

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index....;attach=308379

Old 07-18-2018, 03:29 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

I can certainly understand your frustration but I don’t think jumping ship to a Beamer is the way to go. Not many dealerships and the few that are in the states have outrageous shop fees. If you have a popular model and need a part good luck on waiting for a back ordered part to ship from Germany......

For all that $$$ you would spend just buy a Goldwing or something like that and keep it as a secondary bike for when the Harley is in the shop.

Quick Reply: Reliability of the Rushmore