Sponsored by:

Harley Reliability overall

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 05:47 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts
Default Harley Reliability overall

Forgive me for doing another thread on reliability but I didn't want this to get buried in the First thread here about it. To that I say HOGWASH!!! I'm sorry but there is NO WAY a Harley is as reliable as a JAP bike. NO WAY< NO HOW!!! We don't need lies on this Forum!

As for "peace of mind" riding, your preference of bikes will, in my opinion, depend on YOUR level of ability and confidence in being able to wrench on your bike in the even of a breakdown. I think that ability also accounts for some of the statements regarding reliability. To those that CAN wrench, having a shifter fall off, or some other breakage that they know how to fix, isn't a "trip wrecker" in their minds. It's just a minor annoyance. To me, one that doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold, it would be a complete disaster! So reliability is really in the eyes of the owner and his/her wrenching ability. Now, I admit there are things that break that even a wrench can't fix on the side of the road because the breakage requires special equipment or parts that aren't available in your saddlebag on the side of the road. So you must be towed to a shop..
We ride Harleys for a variety of reasons. It's a unique group we are in, unlike other brand riders. But if I had to take a ride from Charleston to San Diego and back, with a $10,000 bet that says you have to do it without a breakage on the bike, I can GUARANTEE you I wouldn't be riding a Harley! I'd be on a GOLDWING! AND, anybody that says anything different is an IDIOT or a liar! LOL!!

NOW, FLAME AWAY if you will, but you won't change my mind. I've had too much experience riding Harleys. Don't get me wrong, I like them and I've enjoyed owning them over the years, but don't try to tell me they are a comforting, "peace of mind" ride all the time. They just aren't!

Last edited by GOV5; 07-19-2018 at 05:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GOV5:
gdt3 (07-19-2018), Kingglide549 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 05:58 AM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

Just a quick question, have you owned a Honda Goldwing? Did you like the bike?

Old 07-19-2018, 06:04 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

One of my bikes is a Gold Wing (F6B)
It is like a car maintenance wise- just start it and go-
I appreciate the inherent qualities of a flat 6 boxer as they balance dynamically perfect
However, the riding positions just SUCK!
I am thinking of trading it...the birthing positions just is not in my comfort zone

Old 07-19-2018, 06:04 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

I'd take my bike on that trip tomorrow. At what other manufacturer's dealer network can you pull up without an appointment at 10AM on a Sunday morning and ride away with a new rear tire by 11AM? This was my experience on a road trip 2 years ago. Oh yeah, they fed my wife and I breakfast and coffee to boot!

Old 07-19-2018, 06:06 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Kermie
Just a quick question, have you owned a Honda Goldwing? Did you like the bike?
NO! But I did own it's baby brother, the ST1300. Rock solid bike!
And you don't have to own one either to know that the Goldwing is a superbly engineered bike, and it's reliability has been proven over the years. That fact is WELL documented and confirmed.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:06 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Forgive me for doing another thread on reliability but I didn't want this to get buried in the First thread here about it. To that I say HOGWASH!!! I'm sorry but there is NO WAY a Harley is as reliable as a JAP bike. NO WAY< NO HOW!!! We don't need lies on this Forum!

As for "peace of mind" riding, your preference of bikes will, in my opinion, depend on YOUR level of ability and confidence in being able to wrench on your bike in the even of a breakdown. I think that ability also accounts for some of the statements regarding reliability. To those that CAN wrench, having a shifter fall off, or some other breakage that they know how to fix, isn't a "trip wrecker" in their minds. It's just a minor annoyance. To me, one that doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold, it would be a complete disaster! So reliability is really in the eyes of the owner and his/her wrenching ability. Now, I admit there are things that break that even a wrench can't fix on the side of the road because the breakage requires special equipment or parts that aren't available in your saddlebag on the side of the road. So you must be towed to a shop..
We ride Harleys for a variety of reasons. It's a unique group we are in, unlike other brand riders. But if I had to take a ride from Charleston to San Diego and back, with a $10,000 bet that says you have to do it without a breakage on the bike, I can GUARANTEE you I wouldn't be riding a Harley! I'd be on a GOLDWING! AND, anybody that says anything different is an IDIOT or a liar! LOL!!

NOW, FLAME AWAY if you will, but you won't change my mind. I've had too much experience riding Harleys. Don't get me wrong, I like them and I've enjoyed owning them over the years, but don't try to tell me they are a comforting, "peace of mind" ride all the time. They just aren't!
Its easy to talk and easy to convince people of an issue, just like a politician.
But your rant has no hard facts and figures which is typical of Internet chatter.
If you want real facts (or anyone else) go to Consumer reports who actually did a REAL study.
Dont come back in here with dribs and drabs of that study because you were too cheap to purchase the whole story.

Enough said, this is my first HD after owning a Suzuki and a Yamaha, they do not hold a candle to my Road King, now with 22,000 miles, bought new in 2014 and still has not needed a repair, far less costly to maintain then my two previous metric bikes. No valve adjustments and do not need to replace rear tires every 6 to 7000 miles.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 07-19-2018 at 06:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by alarmdoug:
attaboy15 (07-21-2018), INJEKTER (07-19-2018), skm348 (07-21-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:10 AM
JW0787
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no problems with your statement. The data supports it:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ycle/index.htm

Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 AM
Kingglide549
Banned

This will all turn into a school kids argument with emotional outburst ........I am sure-.
I have owned lots of different bikes- japs, slimey limey , lots of HD.
I always end up back on the HD.
Always .
This round I am being smarter and keeping the old RK and went got a Gold wing as I do admire their engineering.
How could anyone not?
6 cylinder, drive shaft, water cooled, handles like a ballerina.
.But like i said, for long distance despite its ills and risk, I take the Old EVO RK.
I am adept enough to fix most problems and always take about 30 lbs of tools.
Enough to bust it dwn pst the inner primary.
.Now it is nowhere neer stock as I have made lots and lots of upgrades.
In stock form, I would be a lot worried!
I always ride it to Sturgis and don't trailer anything anywhere
It is way more comfortable for me.

The following users liked this post:
GOV5 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by JW0787
I have no problems with your statement. The data supports it:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ycle/index.htm
But if you read the entire article you'll find that Harley has the highest customer satisfaction of any present brand. Victory did beat Harley for customer satisfaction but Victory is no longer present.

I don't know if you subscribe to CR but their reliability ratings have to be taken in context. In the overall failure rating any failure of any component that's reported is marked down as a failure with no weighting of the consequences of that failure. A broken wire tie is equal to a blown head gasket.

Last edited by rwven; 07-19-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:30 AM
Kingglide549
Banned

The beauty in satisfaction is only measurable in a person's heart.
I am very satisfied and happy with my old RK.
But I know there are better platforms.
Reliability and satisfaction are not the same.

Quick Reply: Harley Reliability overall