Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin or dunlop's

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 06:44 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

I have OEM Dunlop’s on my Fatboy. Just replaced the rear, 13k on the old one. I don’t baby it, ride two up quite a bit, no sign of cupping. I try not spend much time in the rain, but got caught riding over Bonanza Pass in a pretty good thunder storm. Lots of 50mph corners, Dunlop’s gripped surprising well, no slippage. My 2 cents.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:54 PM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Dunlops all the way. Good ride, tread wear and excellent traction during rainstorms. Made in Tonawanda, NY is another plus.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:29 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I think asking Michelin vs Dunlops is like asking Ford vs Chevy, both are good choices and both have their loyalist. I know a lot of riders that love their Commander 2's and just as many that love their Dunlops. For me I always had great luck with Dunlops and they were a great company that supported us a lot when my son raced MX so I will stick with them. I have had great luck with their American Elites

Old 07-31-2018, 05:42 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by top0211
Dunlops. I have over 17k miles on my current oem tires and see no reason to change. I recently watched Law Abiding Biker review and have to agree with everything he said about these tires, which is they handle better in the rain the Michellins.
^^ YUP ^^
Not sure why there is any reason (except price) someone needs to decide which tire.
The OEM Dunlops are great tires.

14 K on the rear, replaced because it started to cup, yet I could have waited a couple more thousand miles and I just replaced the front at 22,000 miles just because after 4 years I wanted fresh rubber on it as we do a fair amount of rain, more then I ever have in my life on the RK and at 22,000 I decided I rather have the new rubber because of the rain factor.
I dont push tires to the last of the tread life, besides rain, a LOT of our riding is interstate speeds of constant 75-85 (GPS) MPH and replacing them every few years is just smart to me.

I hear/see the name Michellins just as I hear the names of different motor oils debated all the time, the OEMs are tried and true for their purpose, which is a touring bike.
BTW, I am not usually brand loyal to any tire but we (wife and I) have rode in some really extreme weather conditions on these tires and why I am sticking with them.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 07-31-2018 at 05:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
skm348 (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 08:54 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 390 Posts

I just bought a set of Dunlop American Elites for my 2015 Ultra Limited and I'm very happy with them, Last year at the International Motorcycle Show I had a long conversation with the Dunlop Rep. He explained that when HD came to Dunlop to design Harley's stock OEM touring tire they (HD) provided the specs they wanted the tire designed to. Dunlop offered HD a some "tweeks" to those specs that Dunlop felt would make the tire evne better than spec'd BUT HD only wanted exactly what they spec'd nothing else. So, after the stock tire was built for HD, Dunlop went on to build a tire that incorporated those same "tweeks" HD wasn't interested in........thus the American Elite was born. As I wrote I really like them.

The only feature the American Elite's don't have is the little HD bar & sheild molded on the sidewall.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:07 AM
Wam
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks everyone
Good info Rob
They didn't have the elites, so after a lot of thought and the experience I have had with Michelin I decided I would try the commander 2's. Rode about a 100 miles back home and they do feel different. They're much smoother, but that could be the balance. The other thing I noticed is they seem quicker to input. I guess time will tell.
I have learned it always helps to ask and there's a lot of good info to be found here.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:13 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 390 Posts

Bottom line.....BOTH are good tires from good companys. Dunlops are made in the USA if you happen to be one who prefers to buy American Made (perhaps Michelin is also made in the USA, I'm just not sure)

Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,341 Likes on 3,310 Posts

I have had really good luck with Dunlops so I stick with them. I currently have 14K on a set on one of my bikes and there's plenty of wear left. The perform well in the rain. I try to keep that to a minimum though.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:37 AM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

Over the years I have ran continentals, Metzler 888 and Dunlop. Three years ago, I tried Dunlop at suggestion of my Indy on my Ultra. Served me well. Then in 2017 bought new Road Glide Special and I am really happy with the Dunlop OEM tire both performance in wet weather and wear. I have been in some torrid storms this year here on the coast and they worked extremely well.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:39 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Wam
It's time for tires, 2016 ultra classic. I ride mostly 2 up and have ohlin shocks and springs. So the question oem Dunlop or Michelin? Also I ride a lot in the mountains with a lot of tight turns.
Thanks Allen
​​​​​​oem Dunlop is all I run. Great for mileage, wet roads, traction, handling.

Quick Reply: Michelin or dunlop's