2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15 water/ coolant pump. Kuddos to black hills Harley.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:19 PM
burgh rider
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ride a 14 limited with 33k miles and we were out in sturgis the week before the rally when the check engine light and temp warning light came on. i pulled over, found the coolant dripping out of the drain hose. I let it cool down while i figured out where to take it for repairs. After starting it up , the lights stayed off and I rode it 25 miles to Black Hills Harley in Rapid City. I pulled into their service dept. line and a highly professional service rep. (Branden) diagnosed it was my water pump. He told me i was behind about 30 other bikes and they would have my bike done in 3 to 4 hours. We walked around the dealership and all of the vendors and spent some money. Got a call in 3 hours that bike was done and I owed 50 bucks for the deductible on my ESP. We could not have been happier with BLACK HILLS HARLEY !!!! Thanks to their fast, professional service we were back out on the road in no time !

Old 08-13-2018, 09:42 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
Ya I think the Ultra guys are loving life right now. I remember when I bought my Limited in '14 thinking I hope there aren't going to be water pump issues. So far I haven't and I hope I didn't just jinx myself too.
I would carry an extra water pump with me.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:42 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,208 Likes on 7,996 Posts

Originally Posted by jbfb
Went to Sturgis with with a total of five bikes from Chicago. One 15 Limited got the engine light and temp light and limped it into Rapid City Harley about 1200 miles into the trip. They kept it overnight (said EIGHT bikes in front of him with the same problem/water pump). Had it done the next day and Harley picked up the cost. I’m proetty impressed.
why did you to limp it to the dealer? That bike will run just fine down the highway as long as it’s not stop and go traffic. A good friend of mine drove his 15 limited all the way from Jackson Hole Wyoming to Arkansas with a passinger with his water pump out and no problem whatsoever ever.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:57 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Loving my ESP more and more, lol... Plus I have the Hogg road side at $29 a year.. IF I need a waterpump and its overnight, motel room is paid for (with in $$ limits)

Old 08-14-2018, 10:20 PM
jbfb
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
why did you to limp it to the dealer? That bike will run just fine down the highway as long as it’s not stop and go traffic. A good friend of mine drove his 15 limited all the way from Jackson Hole Wyoming to Arkansas with a passinger with his water pump out and no problem whatsoever ever.
Wasnt my bike, he wasn’t with us when he ran into the problem. But from what I understand it wasn’t running just fine, loss of power from my understanding. I had actually told him on the phone that if it was just the temp and engine light we’d see what we could so when the rest of us got back.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:45 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,711 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadghost
I'm so glad I don't have a water pump.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:42 PM
Bearfan1
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem as others. Me, along with 5 others went out to Yellowstone prior to going to Sturgis. I have a 2015 Ultra Limited Low, and one of the others was a 2015 Ultra Limited. After 1750 miles, and the day we were heading into Yellowstone both of our water pumps went out within 10 minutes of each other. My bike has 6100 miles his just over 5000. Yellowstone Harley Davidson fortunately had 3 pumps in stock and our 2 bikes, and another had to be replaced that day. Sent a letter to HD Customer service, and waiting on a reply.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:06 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

What I find a bit interesting (NOT) is how so many Harley Dealerships near Sturgis somehow just happened to have an ample supply of water pumps on hand.

Almost as if someone knew there would be a high demand for water pumps. Go figure!

Old 08-16-2018, 05:00 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,170 Posts

I'd like to know what is killing all of these pumps. In one thread, a forum member took apart his expired pump and showed how a couple of "contacts" on the circuit board mysteriously opened, leaving the pump inoperable. After re-soldering the contacts, he was able to get the pump working again. But, that was the only example I could find that showed exactly why the pump failed.

Has anyone else gotten their pump back and done any troubleshooting to determine what failed?

Old 08-16-2018, 05:48 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I'd like to know what is killing all of these pumps. In one thread, a forum member took apart his expired pump and showed how a couple of "contacts" on the circuit board mysteriously opened, leaving the pump inoperable. After re-soldering the contacts, he was able to get the pump working again. But, that was the only example I could find that showed exactly why the pump failed.

Has anyone else gotten their pump back and done any troubleshooting to determine what failed?
I think heat build-up in the pumps on these long runs or heat period. Black Hills told us they'd replace over 100 water pumps at Sturgis last year so again I think the longer rides is the cause of the heat which causes the contacts to get hot and open up.
It's really funny how you buy a touring bike but can't tour on it.

Quick Reply: 15 water/ coolant pump. Kuddos to black hills Harley.