Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring on a Road King.. Truly Viable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:45 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Making the tour pak detachable would lighten up and make the bike more nimble around town. I did that to my Limited and the difference is quite noticeable. Having said that, if I had the means, I'd have both a Limited and a Road King in my garage.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:17 AM
GHarris
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

My 17 Road King had its 1 year birthday yesterday with 20480 miles on it. I don't notice the wind or buffeting with a stock windshield and fork mounted wind deflectors. I have lowers for winter weather. I have bluetooth in my helmet for music and navigation that works great. A rear rack and passenger backrest but a tour pack is coming for the wife and longer trips where more storage is needed. All can be removed in minutes for the naked look and more nimble wind in your face ride. I love my Road King it is so versatile I have no desire for a fairing bike or even a removable fairing.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:05 AM
NDRK
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I put hard lowers and a vented Clear View Shield. They have a wider one now that protects your hands from the cold. Its the perfect ride without a big fairing in the way. The tour pack is removable and only used when travelling. I can go from a full loaded tour bike to a real bike in minutes. Meaning no tour pack and shield.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:31 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I ride my RGU to work though heavy traffic and small, packed city streets daily. Being honest, it's really a big bike for that, but it's manageable. This daily route also takes me though about 20 miles of highway where it excels.

If I were to change things up I would seriously consider a Heritage Softail for a smaller more city friendly bike that is also capable of handling the highway. For the radio (which I do like) I would put a sena or cardio in my helmet.

A road king with a windshield is pretty comfy too and would be another bike I would consider. It's a bigger bike for bigger people. Some find the Heritage a little small in the seat.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Ursadorable
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GHarris
My 17 Road King had its 1 year birthday yesterday with 20480 miles on it. I don't notice the wind or buffeting with a stock windshield and fork mounted wind deflectors. I have lowers for winter weather. I have bluetooth in my helmet for music and navigation that works great. A rear rack and passenger backrest but a tour pack is coming for the wife and longer trips where more storage is needed. All can be removed in minutes for the naked look and more nimble wind in your face ride. I love my Road King it is so versatile I have no desire for a fairing bike or even a removable fairing.
That sounds fantastic.

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you?

Old 09-06-2018, 09:34 AM
Stanimal45
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the RK is a capable bike for touring for sure. Wish I had more time to do so on mine but here's my take on a Road King Ultra. Freedom Shield, Lowers, Tour Pack, BT speaker, TomTom GPS, and a few bits just for fun. When I bought it, I said I wanted no tunes, no GPS, no lowers, and no Tour Pack. Wife and daughter liked a Tour Pack so on it went and the other stuff came a little at a time. Rarely take anything off at this point but like the setup. Comfortable on the highway and on the side roads.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:44 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

My .02 cents. I have a RKC. I believe my windshield is more than adequate but do note your hands are exposed. Good gloves resolve this for me. No need for a tourpack as there are plenty of good waterproof bags you can strap to your rack or on the rear pillion when solo for a lot less money when needed.

My Road King is still heavy and not particularly fun in traffic but is manageable.

I can strip off my windshield, sissy bar, rack and use a smaller seat, its fun to ride and looks great.

Go ride a regular RK.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,681 Likes on 824 Posts

I do most of my summer riding without the tourpak and windshield. If I go on a medium ride, I put on the windshield. If I drive from Toledo to Austin to see my son, I add the tourpak,, when it gets cold, I add the lowers, and I have heated grips. 4 bikes in one!

Old 09-06-2018, 10:23 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,406 Likes on 4,014 Posts

while I love my bagger and use it for all my multi-day trips......

From '03 through '12... I used a Heritage for my "touring" bike. Nor fairing, just the windshield. No tour pak, just a bag on the seat/sissy bar...

It was a capable touring bike, carried everything I carry now, the only thing missing were tunes....

You want to do it with a Road King... pretty much teh same differences as between my Heritage & full bagger, but you'll have the benefit of the touring frame..

To answer your question: "Touring on a Road King... Truly Viable?" My answer is Hell yes...!

My Heritage in "Touring" mode...

Old 09-06-2018, 10:25 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,591 Likes on 9,809 Posts

Hell yeah a Road King is a touring bike...

Quick Reply: Touring on a Road King.. Truly Viable?