Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring on a Road King.. Truly Viable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Ursadorable
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Touring on a Road King.. Truly Viable?

So I'm in a bit of a quandary.

I currently own a Ultra Limited, but it's not really a city bike due to the bulk. I'm also a 300lb 6'1 solo rider. Currently the Limited sits at work and I only take it out when I go on longer rides.

I've been contemplating getting a Road Glide Special to lighten things up a bit, not just the bike but also the handling. I've also considered the Road King Special so I can get more use around town. I really don't want or need two bikes, so I have to narrow down my choices to one.

My logic has so far been, the fairing is nice for the highway, but I don't know how well the windscreen on a Road King shields you from the elements. I test road a RKS recently without a windscreen, and it was a blast both literally and figuratively. I enjoyed the openness of a full view ahead, but also felt fatigued by all the wind at highway speeds blowing in my face and chest... but damn it sure was fun.

Anyways, my buddies keep telling me I need all the accouterments of a full dresser.. but yet my feeling the stereo is more of a distraction. Obviously storage is an issue, but easy enough to slap on a removable tour pack when needed.

So my question to you all, how viable is the Road King as a all round decent ride for around the city and longer range touring? How easily is it, if possible, to add extra wind protection on those cold mountain rides? I know Harley bills the RKS as a touring model.. but is it truly comfortable to use as such? Also, anyone have an pics of their Road King dressed up for touring?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ursadorable; 09-05-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:27 PM
Sixgunjr
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Well you can add a tour pack, eBay has a bunch cheap. You can add a windshield with multiple size heights. Get some good earbuds for music. Other then that it’s the same motorcycle( same frame) just lighter on the front end.

My logics is Motorcycles are all in what YOU like. Ride what makes you feel funny inside when you look at it. Lol

Last edited by Sixgunjr; 09-05-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Sixgunjr
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So I just went to HD website to look at weight number. The RK is about 40lbs lighter then the RGS and over 100lbs then the Road Glide Ultra.
I have been thinking of going to a Softail Heritage for a more fun bike but the RKS kind of splits the difference.
Hmmmm, maybe a dealer visit is in my future. LOL. Thanks a lot.....

Old 09-05-2018, 10:51 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

If you’re looking at bike without a trunk, remember you can have detachable rack for wide variety of bags rather than a tour pack. Wtth an RK, you can tool around town without shield nor rear bag, and put them on for long trips.
If you still want fairing (Shark or bat), you can still use detachable rack and bag rather than tour pack.

you can easily have lighter nimbler bike for around town that can provide touring comfort and storage for trips. (You will want shield or fairing on longer trips)

The following users liked this post:
gtrplyr (10-14-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 11:05 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,189 Likes on 656 Posts

I didnt like my 01 king at all above 55 with or without the windshield. You definately have extra weight with the limited but the tour pak can come off. That would be my ideal right there. Road king was great for under 55mph.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:22 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Ursadorable
So I'm in a bit of a quandary.

I currently own a Ultra Limited, but it's not really a city bike due to the bulk. I'm also a 300lb 6'1 solo rider. Currently the Limited sits at work and I only take it out when I go on longer rides.

I've been contemplating getting a Road Glide Special to lighten things up a bit, not just the bike but also the handling. I've also considered the Road King Special so I can get more use around town. I really don't want or need two bikes, so I have to narrow down my choices to one.

My logic has so far been, the fairing is nice for the highway, but I don't know how well the windscreen on a Road King shields you from the elements. I test road a RKS recently without a windscreen, and it was a blast both literally and figuratively. I enjoyed the openness of a full view ahead, but also felt fatigued by all the wind at highway speeds blowing in my face and chest... but damn it sure was fun.

Anyways, my buddies keep telling me I need all the accouterments of a full dresser.. but yet my feeling the stereo is more of a distraction. Obviously storage is an issue, but easy enough to slap on a removable tour pack when needed.

So my question to you all, how viable is the Road King as a all round decent ride for around the city and longer range touring? How easily is it, if possible, to add extra wind protection on those cold mountain rides? I know Harley bills the RKS as a touring model.. but is it truly comfortable to use as such? Also, anyone have an pics of their Road King dressed up for touring?

Thanks!
I put on over 80K on my 2003 RKC. I just did 1100 miles in two days with ease. Get a nice recurve windshield to get the wind up and over your face. I don't have lowers (I do on my 2015 RGS), but you could always add those. I have the leather tour-pak on my RKC too.

Plenty capable for touring. Us HD riders have gotten fat and lazy. The Road King is such a capable touring bike. *If* I get rid of my 2015 RGS and don't go BMW, I will be adding a RK to the stable. Radio is a waste. Navigation is rather poor.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:03 AM
jonuphi
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

R K is a very capable touring bike,a pic outside of Moab a month ago,and can allways add a after market bat wing if wanted,allready added a trunk

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 04:04 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

I put a bat wing and trunk on mine-
Purrfect

Old 09-06-2018, 04:33 AM
Ursadorable
Advanced

Originally Posted by rhuff
I put on over 80K on my 2003 RKC. I just did 1100 miles in two days with ease. Get a nice recurve windshield to get the wind up and over your face. I don't have lowers (I do on my 2015 RGS), but you could always add those. I have the leather tour-pak on my RKC too.
This is what I like to hear.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:36 AM
Ursadorable
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jshopes
I didnt like my 01 king at all above 55 with or without the windshield. You definately have extra weight with the limited but the tour pak can come off. That would be my ideal right there. Road king was great for under 55mph.
Was there something particular that you didn't like about it over 55mph? I found it with the 107 M8 to be a pretty smooth and more than power capable, but as I said, it was only a demo ride.

Quick Reply: Touring on a Road King.. Truly Viable?