Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Bearing Change - 2014 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:48 PM
Uncle Salty
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
I know I have very poor spelling, some how I have a net worth of over 2 million dollars and still growing all of this with poor spelling and a high school drop out.
Just think how far you could go with an education!

Old 09-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Only once I replace the bearings on any Harley that was me power washing it like crazy, Have ridden my 07 UC over 90K with stock brakes and bearings we tend to over react after reading A person has bad experience.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:23 PM
L88
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 157 Posts

I purchased some All-***** about a month ago. Opened up the ABS bearing to check for grease. Not impressed. Clear grease, plastic cage. Called All-***** and they said I could clean the grease out and repack with the Chevron SR1 they claim was suppose to be in the bearing. WTF? That's customer service?
Didn't install the All-*****, purchased the HD bearings from the local store. Made in Korea, grease was blue green, has a very solid feel to it. Will see how the most recent version holds up.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by L88
I purchased some All-***** about a month ago. Opened up the ABS bearing to check for grease. Not impressed. Clear grease, plastic cage. Called All-***** and they said I could clean the grease out and repack with the Chevron SR1 they claim was suppose to be in the bearing. WTF? That's customer service?
Didn't install the All-*****, purchased the HD bearings from the local store. Made in Korea, grease was blue green, has a very solid feel to it. Will see how the most recent version holds up.
That's surprising, I've opened several AllBalls and they were always full of SR1. I wonder if they're getting the ABS bearings (never worked on an abs bike) from the same source Harley does and are re-branding them; I've heard you can only get them from Harley and AllBalls. I always check the grease in every new sealed bearing I get, and if they have metal seals... I don't get them.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:40 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Salty
Just think how far you could go with an education!
Did not need one just made smart choices in life most of the time common sense will take you threw life. Now my kids all went to collage, most of my friends went to collage they would like to be in my shoes. I retired at age 57, just riding, playing golf,fishing, going on nice vacations with wife. I am 71 now and have no retreats.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:25 PM
Uncle Salty
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
Did not need one just made smart choices in life most of the time common sense will take you threw life. Now my kids all went to collage, most of my friends went to collage they would like to be in my shoes. I retired at age 57, just riding, playing golf,fishing, going on nice vacations with wife. I am 71 now and have no retreats.
That's cool. I have a PhD and live in a washing machine box down by the river. I'm 59 and have no retreats either. Well, except for the time I went to Reynosa Mexico when I was 19. That was some retreat!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:12 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Tired
I have the tools but I don't just change bearings because I feel like it. I check them for roughness, excessive side play, leaking seals, etc. and I keep track of their mileage. If I suspect one, it and it's partner across the hub gets changed. And as mentioned above, getting no play and no side load on the inner races and spacer during install can't be stressed enough. That has to be correct for the bearings to live.
With the correct tools it's easy to install without putting any side load on bearings. They went in really easy with the Pit Posse installer. As far as changing the bearings in the first place, I wasn't sure what the situation was and when installed I felt a slight bump in them, turns out it wasn't the bearings but I needed to get them out to find that out. With all the stories about these Rushmore bearings just going out with no warning, I wanted to get a better set in there anyway. Better safe than sorry...I do as much preventative maintenance as I can so I am not the guy who holds the group up when my bike breaks.

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasMotorcycleRider:
Jaftica (09-28-2018), Tired (09-28-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

It's not just Rushmores, I have replace 2 sets of bearings on my '13 before trying out a set of All *****. It is also not common for any bearing to have a catastrophic failure without warning. They will get rough and noisy before they fly apart. The problem is as they start to get noisy and rougher over time you may not notice it till they fall apart. I will spin the wheels and put a hand on the axle when ever the bike is on the jack for a cleaning and before any major trip. If I suspect a bad bearing pulling the brake callipers will eliminate any other noises and the wheel should spin freely.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

A lot of roads I ride on have a 75MPH speed limit and I normally go 5-9mph over so not the time to start noticing.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:43 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default 2013 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
It's not just Rushmores, I have replace 2 sets of bearings on my '13 before trying out a set of All *****. It is also not common for any bearing to have a catastrophic failure without warning. They will get rough and noisy before they fly apart. The problem is as they start to get noisy and rougher over time you may not notice it till they fall apart. I will spin the wheels and put a hand on the axle when ever the bike is on the jack for a cleaning and before any major trip. If I suspect a bad bearing pulling the brake callipers will eliminate any other noises and the wheel should spin freely.
My 2013 FLHTK Limited had one front and one rear bearing go bad at 8K miles. The ABS sensor bearings were ok though so I bought
those from HD but replaced the rest with bearings that Performance Machine / PM uses in their custom wheels - Nachi from Japan.
Amazon has them very reasonable.-
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearing Change - 2014 Street Glide