Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   Need for Mods...WHY? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1253082-need-for-mods-why.html)

GOV5 09-12-2018 06:49 AM

Need for Mods...WHY?

I've GOT to ask this question to you guys that feel like you HAVE to change out Headers, mufflers, Air cleaners, Tuners , cams, etc.

Why do you do it? You spend a fortune on all that stuff, only to void your warranties and ESP plans.

And what do you get after you do all that? A bike that STILL can't outrun a Honda CBR 600!

What am I missing here? My bike runs plenty fast enough and sounds loud enough (or more) when touring. I admit it's 100% stock.

GalvTexGuy 09-12-2018 06:58 AM

I guess the simplest answer is "because we can". I think it's in the DNA that a lot males just like to tinker with stuff. Hell, they even made a successful TV show about tinkering with things.

Edit - By the way, you guys in SC stay safe!

JakeUSAF 09-12-2018 06:59 AM

If you have to ask you will never understand. I have never left anything with a motor stock.

Shaun

Iceman24 09-12-2018 07:01 AM

Because we can...:D

Seriously, for me it's a Hog so why not make it at least sound like one. The new bikes w/CATs run hot, choked/lean & quiet. Swapping intake, exhaust & adding tuner really opens things up & allows me to make adjustments w/these changes. No, I don't plan to race Jap bikes, but at least my bike runs cooler & sounds like a Harley vs. Goldwing.

Brewmany 09-12-2018 07:25 AM

I haven't modified my Limited either, but I think about it from time to time. I don't have an ESP, and my factory warranty is long expired, so I don't care about that, nor do I care about outrunning other bikes. It's very possible to change the sound, performance and such- plus I think some of us just like to tinker around.

I'm not unhappy with the performance of the Limited, but I would like to at least look at modifying the exhaust to get more low rumble. But other priorities are tugging at my wallet right now.

jpooch00 09-12-2018 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by GOV5 (Post 17675846)
I've GOT to ask this question to you guys that feel like you HAVE to change out Headers, mufflers, Air cleaners, Tuners , cams, etc.

Why do you do it? You spend a fortune on all that stuff, only to void your warranties and ESP plans.

And what do you get after you do all that? A bike that STILL can't outrun a Honda CBR 600!

What am I missing here? My bike runs plenty fast enough and sounds loud enough (or more) when touring. I admit it's 100% stock.

I've never gotten that either, ESPECIALLY with these mega-pigs.

It's always seemed to me like a horrendous waste of money and effort trying to make these bikes into something they'll never, ever be - a light, nimble, powerful hot rod. If that's what a person actually wants, then why on earth not buy a Jap bike that's built for it in the first place for massively less money?

But, OTOH, it's their money to flush down the sh!tter, if that's what they're into. It's still a free country - so far...

IUOE ROB 09-12-2018 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by GOV5 (Post 17675846)

I often wondered the same thing...even before I rode my bike out of the showroom the dealer wanted me to go for a $2K Stage 1, I told him I'll ride it for awhile and get back to him, never did. And an a purely UN-scientific note it seems most who mod their bikes (or their Vettes over on the Corvette Forum) tend to have more problems then those of us who leave it stock. Can't count how many times someone posts a problem then you read further down the post and they changed this, added that, modified this...I don't get it either but hey, it's their money and their bike, whatever makes them happy!

6113_ 09-12-2018 07:28 AM

who's voiding warranties by doing those upgrades? that's a pretty broad brush you're painting with

GTK 09-12-2018 07:39 AM

People buy Harley's so they can make mods and plenty of accessories available to do so.

EasternSP 09-12-2018 07:46 AM

Heck, I bought an ESP figuring I'll be putting a lot of miles on my 16RGU. At 29 months and 58,000 miles the last dealer to work on it says I voided the warranty by putting an other than OEM rear tire on it. Also, voided it by putting the Custom Dynamic Fillerz brake lights on it.
I had my fun with my 06RG by putting the 107 motor in it along with the Fat Baggers 200mm rear tire kit on it. Wasn't really all that much faster than a stock Harley. Maybe because of my 260lb azz.