New "Rushmore" Models This Section Is For 2014 And Future Rushmore Models Only
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need for Mods...WHY?

Old 09-12-2018, 06:49 AM
GOV5
Road Captain
Default Need for Mods...WHY?

I've GOT to ask this question to you guys that feel like you HAVE to change out Headers, mufflers, Air cleaners, Tuners , cams, etc.

Why do you do it? You spend a fortune on all that stuff, only to void your warranties and ESP plans.

And what do you get after you do all that? A bike that STILL can't outrun a Honda CBR 600!

What am I missing here? My bike runs plenty fast enough and sounds loud enough (or more) when touring. I admit it's 100% stock.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GOV5 For This Useful Post:
IUOE ROB (09-12-2018), jpooch00 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:58 AM
GalvTexGuy
Outstanding HDF Member

I guess the simplest answer is "because we can". I think it's in the DNA that a lot males just like to tinker with stuff. Hell, they even made a successful TV show about tinkering with things.

Edit - By the way, you guys in SC stay safe!

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 09-12-2018 at 07:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GalvTexGuy For This Useful Post:
Duracell (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 AM
JakeUSAF
Senior Rider

If you have to ask you will never understand. I have never left anything with a motor stock.

Shaun

Old 09-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Iceman24
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Because we can...

Seriously, for me it's a Hog so why not make it at least sound like one. The new bikes w/CATs run hot, choked/lean & quiet. Swapping intake, exhaust & adding tuner really opens things up & allows me to make adjustments w/these changes. No, I don't plan to race Jap bikes, but at least my bike runs cooler & sounds like a Harley vs. Goldwing.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:25 AM
Brewmany
Outstanding HDF Member

I haven't modified my Limited either, but I think about it from time to time. I don't have an ESP, and my factory warranty is long expired, so I don't care about that, nor do I care about outrunning other bikes. It's very possible to change the sound, performance and such- plus I think some of us just like to tinker around.

I'm not unhappy with the performance of the Limited, but I would like to at least look at modifying the exhaust to get more low rumble. But other priorities are tugging at my wallet right now.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
I've GOT to ask this question to you guys that feel like you HAVE to change out Headers, mufflers, Air cleaners, Tuners , cams, etc.

Why do you do it? You spend a fortune on all that stuff, only to void your warranties and ESP plans.

And what do you get after you do all that? A bike that STILL can't outrun a Honda CBR 600!

What am I missing here? My bike runs plenty fast enough and sounds loud enough (or more) when touring. I admit it's 100% stock.
I've never gotten that either, ESPECIALLY with these mega-pigs.

It's always seemed to me like a horrendous waste of money and effort trying to make these bikes into something they'll never, ever be - a light, nimble, powerful hot rod. If that's what a person actually wants, then why on earth not buy a Jap bike that's built for it in the first place for massively less money?

But, OTOH, it's their money to flush down the sh!tter, if that's what they're into. It's still a free country - so far...

Old 09-12-2018, 07:28 AM
IUOE ROB
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post

I often wondered the same thing...even before I rode my bike out of the showroom the dealer wanted me to go for a $2K Stage 1, I told him I'll ride it for awhile and get back to him, never did. And an a purely UN-scientific note it seems most who mod their bikes (or their Vettes over on the Corvette Forum) tend to have more problems then those of us who leave it stock. Can't count how many times someone posts a problem then you read further down the post and they changed this, added that, modified this...I don't get it either but hey, it's their money and their bike, whatever makes them happy!

Old 09-12-2018, 07:28 AM
6113_
Supporter

who's voiding warranties by doing those upgrades? that's a pretty broad brush you're painting with

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6113_ For This Useful Post:
ABQ-Jammer (09-12-2018), Orion-5 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:39 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member

People buy Harley's so they can make mods and plenty of accessories available to do so.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:46 AM
EasternSP
Extreme HDF Member
Thanked 1,272 Times in 761 Posts

Heck, I bought an ESP figuring I'll be putting a lot of miles on my 16RGU. At 29 months and 58,000 miles the last dealer to work on it says I voided the warranty by putting an other than OEM rear tire on it. Also, voided it by putting the Custom Dynamic Fillerz brake lights on it.
I had my fun with my 06RG by putting the 107 motor in it along with the Fat Baggers 200mm rear tire kit on it. Wasn't really all that much faster than a stock Harley. Maybe because of my 260lb azz.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: