Sponsored by:

Stage II: Torque Cam vs power cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 02:54 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
Then you miss the entire purpose. I didn't buy "numbers", I bought a curve. One worth every penny in my book (and wallet).

Peak numbers don't tell the story; only the curve does that.
It's not about peak either. At best, the Cycle Rama 570 (about the best bolt-in the 103's have) is not going to gain one much over 10/10 anywhere in an RPM range. I'm sure it is worth it to you and that's good, but don't let facts get in the way either. A well-tuned stage 1 Rushmore cam is damn close to the BEST (or near-best) bolt in cam for the 103. Unless you're doing the cam yourself, it's a poor way to gain that IMO.

Obviously, different strokes for different folks. I'm not saying I won't go stage 2 on my own rushmore. I'm just trying to point out some facts as well.

Last edited by rhuff; 09-22-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:59 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JakeUSAF
Other then Fuel Moto who would you go to for head work. I have a stage II motor but want to go for some more. I just am not sure I want to go with Big bore kits.

Shaun
WFO Larry, HDSP heads, Rick Ward to name a few.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:53 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
It's not about peak either. At best, the Cycle Rama 570 (about the best bolt-in the 103's have) is not going to gain one much over 10/10 anywhere in an RPM range. I'm sure it is worth it to you and that's good, but don't let facts get in the way either. A well-tuned stage 1 Rushmore cam is damn close to the BEST (or near-best) bolt in cam for the 103. Unless you're doing the cam yourself, it's a poor way to gain that IMO.

Obviously, different strokes for different folks. I'm not saying I won't go stage 2 on my own rushmore. I'm just trying to point out some facts as well.

That's exactly what I said - it's the curve; the boost across the entire RPM range, not just numbers. It's not "worth it" to the majority of people, but to some of us, it absolutely is. You and I aren't talking about different things, nor different "facts"; I think you're arguing subjectively that you don't think it's a good use of funds, and I'm arguing (subjectively) that it is.

The OP didn't ask if it was "worth it" to do cams; he asked the difference between the two.

The following users liked this post:
rhuff (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 04:25 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by QNman
That's exactly what I said - it's the curve; the boost across the entire RPM range, not just numbers. It's not "worth it" to the majority of people, but to some of us, it absolutely is. You and I aren't talking about different things, nor different "facts"; I think you're arguing subjectively that you don't think it's a good use of funds, and I'm arguing (subjectively) that it is.

The OP didn't ask if it was "worth it" to do cams; he asked the difference between the two.
I'm with ya. Not trying to be a jerk. It comes down to desires and dollars. I am either a stage 1 guy (my 2015 is actually bone stock) or cams and heads. At least with the Rushmore's. I just don't feel like it's a good price point to do stage 2 on these bikes, unlike in the pre-rushmore bikes. But, again, it's what floats your boat.

I mean, I have a 2003 RKC that is heavily modified. Granted, 107" isn't bike like it used to be tho. But it will lay ruin to most 107's. I'm all about spending money lol

Old 09-23-2018, 08:42 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

What most people miss here, is this is not apples to apples. The bike with the 570 cams also has a gutted head pipe, a Boyeson intake/air cleaner, and has been dyno tuned with a Power Vision.

If you gutted the head pipe, added the air cleaner, and spend a day on the dyno with a Power Vision on the stock cams bike, the difference is almost nothing.

I have the 570-2 cams, and I'm talking from experience, it's not a significant difference with ONLY A CAM SWAP. My bike is within a couple horsepower of stock cam'd bikes that were tuned with similar intake and exhaust throughout the curve , verified on a Dynojet 250.

I spent the money, and do my own work. If I had to do it again, I would leave the engine together. (this is my touring bike, not hotrod)

Originally Posted by rhuff

Old 09-23-2018, 09:07 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus
What most people miss here, is this is not apples to apples. The bike with the 570 cams also has a gutted head pipe, a Boyeson intake/air cleaner, and has been dyno tuned with a Power Vision.

If you gutted the head pipe, added the air cleaner, and spend a day on the dyno with a Power Vision on the stock cams bike, the difference is almost nothing.

I have the 570-2 cams, and I'm talking from experience, it's not a significant difference with ONLY A CAM SWAP. My bike is within a couple horsepower of stock cam'd bikes that were tuned with similar intake and exhaust throughout the curve , verified on a Dynojet 250.

I spent the money, and do my own work. If I had to do it again, I would leave the engine together. (this is my touring bike, not hotrod)
Everyone's experience is different, I guess. I picked up 8 HP and 11 ft-lbs... just from adding the cams. And - more importantly - a much better "feel" from the saddle.

Something else not mentioned - adding heads to the equation adds COST to the equation.

My "plan" when I added the cams was that next year, I'd add jugs, pistons, and heads. However, I am so pleased with just the cams, and have a bike with 22,000 miles that burns NO oil, runs fantastic, and hasn't given me a lick of trouble.... I think I may be done.

YMMV.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:03 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrlexus

I'm in complete agreement with you here. But, what I posted is pretty much apples to apples FYI. Ignore the bottom dyno lines with the chart with two of them on it. Compare the Stock cam top run and the bottom dyno chart.

I will say it again though, most people haven't ridden a properly tuned Rushmore cam bike in comparison to the stage 2. I have. It's just not much of a difference.

Okay, I'm done and out with trying to save some folks coin on this mod.