Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Feedback Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:53 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,622 Likes on 1,529 Posts

2018 FLHXS, 68 seconds, no route loaded.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by yowflhtk
Because when you're leading a ride and you've left the gas station, you're a mile or two down the road and you've missed a turn because the route hasn't loaded. People get annoyed. Just sayin. BTW it would have taken you less time to google some info and do the math and come up with 2,396,736,000 seconds, than it does for the route to load. :-)
As ride leader, isn't it up to you when to depart? If your map isn't loaded yet, will sitting another few minutes really cause that much of a kerfuffle? Probably wastes a few more seconds missing that turn and recovering than waiting would have.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:17 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,148 Likes on 3,515 Posts

Yes, that load time is about right. GPS in itself takes about 20-30 seconds (best guess) to become active AFTER a complete boot of the head unit.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:53 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

If it works at all, it's probably doing the best it can. Mine varies on the boot-up time, but since I never use it anyway, It doesn't bother me.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:58 AM
yowflhtk
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
2018 FLHXS, 68 seconds, no route loaded.
Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!!!

Old 09-19-2018, 03:32 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by yowflhtk
Because when you're leading a ride and you've left the gas station, you're a mile or two down the road and you've missed a turn because the route hasn't loaded. People get annoyed. Just sayin. BTW it would have taken you less time to google some info and do the math and come up with 2,396,736,000 seconds, than it does for the route to load. :-)
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Next time, kill the engine with kill switch. Turn the ignition switch to "accy" while you're waiting or filling up. When you're ready to leave, turn the ignition switch to "ignition", un-kill the kill switch and hit the start switch. Off you go!

If you gotta leave your bike to take a **** or whatever, have your OL or one of your riding buddies watch your bike.

If you're using the other bike start times to convince the dealer or Harley Canada to replace your system, gook luck with that one.

FWIW, it took 77 seconds for mine to come up with no route loaded.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 09-19-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:39 PM
austinrngr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It does take a long time for it to reconnect with your route, but if your moving when it attempts to reconnect it even takes longer. just an observation I've noticed when I take off from getting gas before the route is loaded.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:42 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by talkingrock
I turn the switch to accessory before starting so media will be available before starting
I'm on the end of a 1500 mile trip, heading home today and I've been using the Boom a lot, I've gotten into the habit of switching it to accessory as soon as I get back to the bike. While I gear up it boots up and we're usually ready to go around the same time. And although I've never timed it the Boom does take a long time to boot up.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:01 AM
yowflhtk
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
I'm on the end of a 1500 mile trip, heading home today and I've been using the Boom a lot, I've gotten into the habit of switching it to accessory as soon as I get back to the bike. While I gear up it boots up and we're usually ready to go around the same time. And although I've never timed it the Boom does take a long time to boot up.
Including myself, it sounds like most of us have a workaround. Turn the system on while getting ready, or leave it in accessory mode when making a quick stop. So what does that say about the average Harley owner? That we're OK living with a 2+ minute boot time in a system that takes only 15 seconds to boot up in any other vehicle? Why? Are we so loyal to the brand that this is acceptable? Probably! That we know complaining to the dealer or Harley rarely results in a fix? That too!!! Maybe they did listen and that's why we have a new BOOM system in the 19's..................but it took 5 years.

I love my bike and wouldn't even think of another option for touring, but if I'm not happy about something, I'll work with the dealer or Harley to get it resolved. How else will things change? Just my 2 cents (3 with the exchange).

Old 09-21-2018, 08:15 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
When I did this (on the last couple long trips), for example while getting fuel, when I would go back to the on position and start the bike, the system would go black and lock up. The only way to reset it would be to stop riding, shut down the bike and walk away so the system completely goes dead. Then it would reboot and work as normal. So I don't do it any more.

Quick Reply: Looking for Feedback Please