Sponsored by:

Looking for Feedback Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:06 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by yowflhtk
Including myself, it sounds like most of us have a workaround. Turn the system on while getting ready, or leave it in accessory mode when making a quick stop. So what does that say about the average Harley owner? That we're OK living with a 2+ minute boot time in a system that takes only 15 seconds to boot up in any other vehicle? Why? Are we so loyal to the brand that this is acceptable? Probably! That we know complaining to the dealer or Harley rarely results in a fix? That too!!! Maybe they did listen and that's why we have a new BOOM system in the 19's..................but it took 5 years.

I love my bike and wouldn't even think of another option for touring, but if I'm not happy about something, I'll work with the dealer or Harley to get it resolved. How else will things change? Just my 2 cents (3 with the exchange).
So how did your dealer or Harley resolve the long boot up time? I know, I'm trying to make a point, there is no fix, especially now that there's a new system in town, we are now the forgotten children. Next best thing is a work-around and that's what we've done. I wonder if we'll ever see another software update for the Boom. I sure wish the aftermarket would step up with a nice replacement with a good map source, I'd gladly spend another grand for a more functional GPS system.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:10 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus

When I did this (on the last couple long trips), for example while getting fuel, when I would go back to the on position and start the bike, the system would go black and lock up. The only way to reset it would be to stop riding, shut down the bike and walk away so the system completely goes dead. Then it would reboot and work as normal. So I don't do it any more.
Funny you mention this, this afternoon on the way home I stopped briefly, did the accessory thing and when I cranked the engine up to ride I had audio music but no audio GPS directions. I wound up stopping down the road, shut the entire system down for a few minutes and cranked up again and all was good again. Who knows what the answer is...

Old 09-21-2018, 07:35 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by yowflhtk
Including myself, it sounds like most of us have a workaround. Turn the system on while getting ready, or leave it in accessory mode when making a quick stop. So what does that say about the average Harley owner? That we're OK living with a 2+ minute boot time in a system that takes only 15 seconds to boot up in any other vehicle? Why? Are we so loyal to the brand that this is acceptable? Probably! That we know complaining to the dealer or Harley rarely results in a fix? That too!!! Maybe they did listen and that's why we have a new BOOM system in the 19's..................but it took 5 years.

I love my bike and wouldn't even think of another option for touring, but if I'm not happy about something, I'll work with the dealer or Harley to get it resolved. How else will things change? Just my 2 cents (3 with the exchange).
You want faster boot time for the Nav, trade up to a 2019. The 6.5GTS boots fast. Fast enough that the time to select/start a route seems slow, even though it's probably only 10 - 20 seconds including the time to get to the correct screen & route you're looking for.
Otherwise, keep what you've got & learn to use the work-arounds. Bitchin' at your dealer and/or H-D isn't gonna fix it. This is genuinely a case of "they all do that".

Last edited by Hammz; 09-21-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:27 PM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain
Received 165 Likes on 67 Posts

i never actually timed it but the radio playing music from the usb or phone, almost instantly. the nav nope seems to take forever, more than 1-2 minutes for sure. 14 ultra classic