Sponsored by:

boom 6.5 GPS issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 06:16 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts
Default boom 6.5 GPS issues

have been using my GPS on my 16 flhxs since the bike was purchased nearly 2 years ago
never experienced what I did last weekend..

2 times it said I had reached my destination and it was off by about 2/10s of a mile in both cases
to make matters worse the first time it said my destination was on the left when it was on the right
on a different road ( Hudson Harley Davidson ) the 2nd one again about 2/10s of a mile and said
destination was on the right when it was around the bend on the left ( Rutts Hut hot dogs clifton )

another issue I had when on the way to Rutts was it had me get off the GSPKY only to loop me around
and try to put me back on the GSPKY..

is there a way to calibrate the GPS or is this something I have to talk to the dealer about??

Old 10-05-2018, 09:48 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing to do. GPS systems sometimes do that. I have had auto systems loop me around in places I wasn't familiar with too. Perhaps a database update would help if you aren't on the current database but you'll have to pay for that and it will still do that to you sometimes. Any chance the DH dealer relocated into a new store from when the database was created for your GPS?

Old 10-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by commander112
Nothing to do. GPS systems sometimes do that. I have had auto systems loop me around in places I wasn't familiar with too. Perhaps a database update would help if you aren't on the current database but you'll have to pay for that and it will still do that to you sometimes. Any chance the DH dealer relocated into a new store from when the database was created for your GPS?
Even the most recent map update seems to be lacking accurate information. Mine is fully up to date and couldn't find several places that had been there for years, no did it have accurate exit information for highways where exits had changed a couple years ago.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:51 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

If you're developing your own routing, it's important to zoom in a much as possible to ensure correct placement of your waypoints & destinations. If you're using the destination address, confirm the address is correct via an alternate source than just the bike's POI information, which could be incorrect (outdated).

All that said, I can confirm even the highly touted Google Maps has looped me to exit a tollway, only to put me back on the same tollway going the opposite direction to back track, then loop me back again to the correct exit (non tollway). Seemed like the Illinois Tollroad System was paying Google Maps to collect extra toll fees?

Best advice I can give you is, if you don't know where you're going, at least familiarize yourself with general layout of the area of destination & use the GPS as a guide, but use your brain too.

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (10-07-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:42 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,379 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
have been using my GPS on my 16 flhxs since the bike was purchased nearly 2 years ago
never experienced what I did last weekend..

2 times it said I had reached my destination and it was off by about 2/10s of a mile in both cases
to make matters worse the first time it said my destination was on the left when it was on the right
on a different road ( Hudson Harley Davidson )

another issue I had when on the way to Rutts was it had me get off the GSPKY only to loop me around
and try to put me back on the GSPKY.

is there a way to calibrate the GPS or is this something I have to talk to the dealer about??

Sadly, it's just the nature of the beast......

Originally Posted by Hammz
Best advice I can give you is, if you don't know where you're going, at least familiarize yourself with general layout of the area of destination & use the GPS as a guide, but use your brain too.

This is the best advice for using any GPS.... I try to follow this when traveling to areas I am unfamiliar with...

Old 10-06-2018, 05:36 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

strange because as I said for last nearly 2 years it has been spot on , I collect dealer poker chips and the GPS has taken me
to many dealerships and restaurants while on those rides without an issue..

the issue with checking in advance is on the fly rides.. sometimes when im out cruising around I will just head out
to a dealership as a destination..

oh well it is what it is, was just curious if there was a calibration issue since this problem just started

Old 10-06-2018, 07:19 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

strange because as I said for last nearly 2 years it has been spot on , I collect dealer poker chips and the GPS has taken me
to many dealerships and restaurants while on those rides without an issue..

the issue with checking in advance is on the fly rides.. sometimes when im out cruising around I will just head out
to a dealership as a destination..

oh well it is what it is, was just curious if there was a calibration issue since this problem just started
I'm guessing because your bike is newer the dealer update has already been installed? Might want to check that first. And as Hammz said above, usually (and if I can) I'll pull over somewhere and use my phone to check an address first before I follow the GPS, phone is much more reliable and up-to-date!

Old 10-07-2018, 07:42 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
I'm guessing because your bike is newer the dealer update has already been installed? Might want to check that first. And as Hammz said above, usually (and if I can) I'll pull over somewhere and use my phone to check an address first before I follow the GPS, phone is much more reliable and up-to-date!

yes, the most recent dealer update was installed 2 weeks ago and MAYBE that's what screwed it up

Old 10-07-2018, 09:02 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

yes, the most recent dealer update was installed 2 weeks ago and MAYBE that's what screwed it up
You think? That little fact might have been worth mentioning in your original post.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:29 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
You think? That little fact might have been worth mentioning in your original post.
why would the dealer update affect where a FREAKING HOT DOG STAND IS LOCATED??? so NO that's why I didn't think of it

Quick Reply: boom 6.5 GPS issues