Sponsored by:

Nice crash on my Streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 06:43 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Glad you’re ok.
What happened to the truck that dropped the pole? I’d get a lawyer.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:50 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

Man I am glad your okay to tell us your story. Heal up quick!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:03 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

God Bless the Man in the Kilt
Seriously , your alive to tell us about it and was alert enough to see something amiss ahead.
But, for what ever reason couldnt get out of harms way.
Goes to show even with attention one can still fall victim to road debris.
The bike can be fixed...us humans not so easy .
Speedy recovery and hope the trucking firm is found and held responsible for an unsecured load.
Rob

The following users liked this post:
cruzercat (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:55 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Two things. First, look into pursuing an uninsured motorist claim. If your policy has a UM endorsement, it can compensate you in situations like this. Second, post-crash self critical analysis is valuable (I know) so I'm not being critical. But from your description it sounds as though you could have gotten on the brakes sooner, when you saw vehicles ahead of you taking evasive actions. What do you think?

Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 AM
Ripcode
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs up

Holy crap! Glad you are alive!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:11 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

The highways around Pecos are pretty treacherous these days - that down is smack dab in the middle of the the largest oil/gas play in the country, perhaps the world right now. County and state can't keep up with the road maintenance. Heavy truck traffic is pretty much incessant. Glad you are OK. I have tested my linked ABS on my bike doing "emergency" stops from 80 and 90 and was impressed with how well it worked. Hope to never have to test that system like you did.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:11 AM
rrlane
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nj08SEUltra
Two things. First, look into pursuing an uninsured motorist claim. If your policy has a UM endorsement, it can compensate you in situations like this. Second, post-crash self critical analysis is valuable (I know) so I'm not being critical. But from your description it sounds as though you could have gotten on the brakes sooner, when you saw vehicles ahead of you taking evasive actions. What do you think?

Well as soon as I saw the first brake light I covered the front brake and was ready but until the can in front of me swerved out of the way I couldn’t see anything going on. I had to identify the hazard and negotiate it all within a split second. When I say tha the cars in front of me we driving crazy that’s true they were but all of it unfolded about a half second from start to finish. I think with almost any other obstacle I would’ve been able to avoid it fine but this pole was fully blocking both lanes of traffic.

The car car in front of me putting its brake lights on could have been anything really that’s why I didn’t start braking immediately. It wasn’t until it took a hard left that I got super alert and had to figure out what was going on. A tough accident to place blame but I feel that I ddI everything that I could have. Like I said earlier maybe I could have increased my follow distance when practical.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rrlane

Well as soon as I saw the first brake light I covered the front brake and was ready but until the can in front of me swerved out of the way I couldn’t see anything going on. I had to identify the hazard and negotiate it all within a split second. When I say tha the cars in front of me we driving crazy that’s true they were but all of it unfolded about a half second from start to finish. I think with almost any other obstacle I would’ve been able to avoid it fine but this pole was fully blocking both lanes of traffic.

The car car in front of me putting its brake lights on could have been anything really that’s why I didn’t start braking immediately. It wasn’t until it took a hard left that I got super alert and had to figure out what was going on. A tough accident to place blame but I feel that I ddI everything that I could have. Like I said earlier maybe I could have increased my follow distance when practical.
no need to kick your self around, after this accident usually a few genius will get on this thread and explain how much smarter they are than you. Man i glad your ok , not luck, OK

The following 3 users liked this post by mazz:
INJEKTER (10-11-2018), madmat (10-13-2018), rrlane (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 AM
rrlane
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
The highways around Pecos are pretty treacherous these days - that down is smack dab in the middle of the the largest oil/gas play in the country, perhaps the world right now. County and state can't keep up with the road maintenance. Heavy truck traffic is pretty much incessant. Glad you are OK. I have tested my linked ABS on my bike doing "emergency" stops from 80 and 90 and was impressed with how well it worked. Hope to never have to test that system like you did.

The brakes worked remarkably well in my view. It slowed down very quickly and I think that those dual brembo’s saved my life out there. Those brakes didn’t have the bite of a sport bike but they grabbed hard and didn’t fade.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:31 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Was the bike damaged significantly. From the looks of the pictures, it seems pretty well intact.

Quick Reply: Nice crash on my Streetglide