Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Bearings....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 05:04 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

I would have just told you before, but now you can see for yourself ... those bearings are NOT angular contact, but just normal "Deep Groove" Ball bearings

Originally Posted by plongson
This also a true statement...

BUT...these are angular contact type ball bearings and are designed for (some) axial loading.

HD Rushmore style

Old 10-24-2018, 05:25 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Yep, your right! And there's the proof. That makes them even worse in my opinion...

Old 10-29-2018, 06:01 PM
plongson
Road Master

Just got the All ***** delivered, popped the seals, and guess what...Hardly any grease in the right side and clear Vaseline in the encoder bearing...WTF
Guess I'll wash them out and pack with high quality synthetic grease. The price was OK, but the bearings don't seem any better than everything else out there.

Just a dab

Only on one side, no grease here

Encoder is packed with Vaseline

Old 10-29-2018, 07:00 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,165 Posts

The price was OK, but the bearings don't seem any better than everything else out there.
Which is why I just went back with H-D ABS Rev. A and Non-ABS Rev. B bearings.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:29 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,841 Likes on 8,408 Posts

How do ya take the seal off without damaging it?

Old 10-30-2018, 08:16 AM
plongson
Road Master

Originally Posted by EasternSP
How do ya take the seal off without damaging it?
Earlier in the thread, removing the seal is detailed. I use a dental pic rather than a screwdriver or razor blade. There are really no worry's they pop right out and pop right back in.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Just got the All ***** delivered, popped the seals, and guess what...Hardly any grease in the right side and clear Vaseline in the encoder bearing...WTF
Guess I'll wash them out and pack with high quality synthetic grease. The price was OK, but the bearings don't seem any better than everything else out there.

Just a dab

Only on one side, no grease here

Encoder is packed with Vaseline
That's sad to see, one of the good points for AllBalls was the Chevron SRI synthetic they packed their bearings with. It's green, don't know what the blue is. Actually that covered on one side is better than many bearings I've seen, with just a thin string of grease laid over the ball cage, would take several rotations before any got slung on the *****. That would be awful hard on a wheel bearing. At least packed, even only on one side, the ***** will have a little grease to start on. I haven't been able to find out what the vaseline looking stuff is, but it sure is popular now. I always clean it out and pack with a good synthetic. Synthetics tend to be smoother, more buttery than conventional clay or lithium based, have less rolling resistance and usually good protection against rust. An exception is hygroscopic grease, which absorbs moisture; Chevron Starplex EP2 is one, commonly used on boat trailers that should get greased after use. You never want to put this stuff in a motorcycle wheel bearing, the ***** and races will rust when it absorbs enough moisture, and it will. So far I've only run across that in new trailer bearings.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:28 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,383 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
That's sad to see, one of the good points for AllBalls was the Chevron SRI synthetic they packed their bearings with. It's green, don't know what the blue is. Actually that covered on one side is better than many bearings I've seen, with just a thin string of grease laid over the ball cage, would take several rotations before any got slung on the *****. That would be awful hard on a wheel bearing. At least packed, even only on one side, the ***** will have a little grease to start on. I haven't been able to find out what the vaseline looking stuff is, but it sure is popular now. I always clean it out and pack with a good synthetic. Synthetics tend to be smoother, more buttery than conventional clay or lithium based, have less rolling resistance and usually good protection against rust. An exception is hygroscopic grease, which absorbs moisture; Chevron Starplex EP2 is one, commonly used on boat trailers that should get greased after use. You never want to put this stuff in a motorcycle wheel bearing, the ***** and races will rust when it absorbs enough moisture, and it will. So far I've only run across that in new trailer bearings.
I have never checked or repacked a wheel bearing before. I will be checking/changing them on my bagger, at the next tire change coming up soon....

I have Green Grease, waterproof, synthetic, high-temp grease that I use for the neck bearings on my bikes... will this be suitable for wheel bearings?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 10-31-2018, 11:53 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I have never checked or repacked a wheel bearing before. I will be checking/changing them on my bagger, at the next tire change coming up soon....

I have Green Grease, waterproof, synthetic, high-temp grease that I use for the neck bearings on my bikes... will this be suitable for wheel bearings?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
More on Green grease and others on this page:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/wheel...l#post16480088
Twizted Biker is one of the more experienced posters on the forum, and he likes and uses it. I have no experience with it, but I've only seen good reviews on it. A good place to see a lot of user reviews is on Amazon. I'm surprised, Advanced has it for less than Amazon.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (10-31-2018)