Sponsored by:

Infotainment Screen Dark/Blank

Old 11-16-2018, 01:41 PM
Cricketsman05
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infotainment Screen Dark/Blank

2015 CVO Ultra Limited.

Infotainment center has stopped lighting up. Radio still plays but only plays for a minute then cuts off. After a minute of silence it comes back on and plays for another minute before cutting off again. Battery check fine, charging system going over 14 volts, no starting issues. System was fine a week ago, dry storage. Bike hasn't been wet or anything.

Thanks.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:09 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,591 Likes on 945 Posts

Try a reset of the radio.

Found in the forum:
1. Turn IGN OFF. Wait 15 seconds.
2. Press and hold power/mute button. Turn IGN to ACC.
3. Continue to press power button for 2 seconds after the WARNING screen is displayed.
4. Release power/mute button and accept warning.
The service menu may display Diag Service not Available when a menu option is initially selected. This message will clear once the system has finished performing the power-on process. Options are: DTCs, Audio, Display, Key input, Component menus, Version info, Reset, Touchscreen.
Reset: Pre-calibration reset: Restores fatory default settings. This is recommended when there are radio symptoms and no DTCs*
Post calibration save: Archives customers settings so that they can be restored after a Post calibration Reset.
Post calibration reset: Resets the radio to factory default settings and restores the last archive data stored during Post calibration Save.

The following 3 users liked this post by chopper_man:
Cricketsman05 (11-18-2018), harfooz (05-27-2022), rinja64 (07-21-2020)
Old 11-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Cricketsman05
3rd Gear
Default Infotainment Screen Dark/Blank

Tried the radio reset. Held the power/mute button and turned on ACC. The radio comes on bypassing the warning screen with the screen still dark. Radio does as before, plays a minute then cuts off for a minute and comes back on. The power/mute button doesn't do anything, the radio just continues to play until it decides to cut off in a minute at most. Volume still works as normal.

The power/mute button doesn't do anything with bike running.

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Cricketsman05
3rd Gear

All fuses are good. No ideas at this point.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

You may have a failed Infotainment system? Sounds like there is a failed component in the display or power supply? I believe there may be a thermal (temperature protection) device that is cycling on/off?

Are there any DTCs? If there are DTCs set, that will help track down the problem. There is also a table of items that could be wrong but not set a DTC. The troubleshooting section of the Electrical Diagnostics Manual has like 80+ pages for the Infotainment System. Because you have a CVO system w/amps as well as radio, it could be almost anything & w/o a Tech Tool connected to troubleshoot it's going to be tough tracking this down.

You indicated you tried a system reset. Did the display work & allow you to get thru the menus to do the reset? Or did you try & couldn't do a reset because the display didn't work?

I know it's a '15 but is it still under warranty? If so, take it in. If not, you might post to the Audio section to see if there's some more knowledge available to assist in tracking this down.

The following users liked this post:
Cricketsman05 (11-18-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:58 PM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts

Mine has done the same thing, more times than I can count. It does show codes for radio, speedo and BCM when it has done this. I almost think it is a temperature thing, as most of time it has happened, would be in the morning....back the bike out of a fairly warm garage, into the cool morning air (to ride to work). Later the same day, it will function as normal. I've done the reset, checked the battery and all that. Very frustrating.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Cricketsman05
3rd Gear

I tried to do a reset but the display didn't work at all. The power/mute button doesn't do anything at any time.

Plan on carrying it in to dealer today.

Thanks for everyone's response.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:29 AM
Cricketsman05
3rd Gear

It was cool when this first happened. Display isn't working at all. Went up into the high fifties yesterday and didn't ever start working.

Thanks.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:07 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

same issue when doing the upgrade Bike starts runs fin but no radio, screen or anything.... checked fuses all good
this is a 2020 FLTHK

Last edited by Bushy; 04-30-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: upda
Old 07-21-2020, 07:39 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Man, I love this forum - Went out to start my bike, 2015 Limited Low, and had the blank screen, no sound. Very first post after searching was this reply from chopper man, thank you. Seems to have fixed the issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infotainment Screen Dark/Blank