Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 11:34 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

If you are thinking about selling your 14 for a new HD M8 this would give you ample opportunity to wring it out and help in making your decision on whether it is worth it.

If you plan on sticking with your current bike then either one would most likely be enjoyable.

If you are planning a coast to coast tour in the near future you might want to do the Gold Wing.

Either way, enjoy the warm weather and vacation.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:12 AM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,076 Likes on 450 Posts

I might rent the Goldwing just to try something new. I'm not sure how I feel about an automatic transmission on a motorcycle, just doesn't seem right.

I can test ride a new HD anytime.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:37 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

I'd rent the Goldwing with the DCT. Why not do something different? Isn't that what vacations are all about? Seeing new scenery, doing fun things that you can't get to do at home?
Plus, when discussions start about the Harley Tourers vs. the Goldwing, you'll be the new expert and can set us all straight. I'm especially interested in the Infotainment system they have with Apple Carplay. Most of the GW folks say they think the NAV isn't very good. Nice to ear what you have to say about it after a chance to use it.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:18 AM
H20loo
Tourer
Received 264 Likes on 134 Posts

¡ wouldn’t expose your significant other to a wing - it won’t go well for you in future harley purchases.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:13 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Get the Goldwing and see if the other GW's wave at you and report back here............. They sure don't wave here where I am, lol!
I've been riding a LONG time, I try not to generalize and try to keep an open mind about people...but GW riders are mostly arrogant and have serious attitude issues...like "My $hit don't stink and you're NOT on a GW!"

I have a great friend who just about has HONDA tattooed on his a$$ but does not have a GW. He didn't believe me when I told him my theory on GW riders until he tried to strike up a conversation at a gas station with one...guess what...he how agrees with me.

BMW riders are nearly as bad. Some folks just need a frigg'n chill pill and not take things so serious...especially when you're out to have fun and soak up the sun.

Hell, I'd talk to a turd if it would talk back...LOL

Old 11-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain
Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
Price is negligible as they are within $2 of each other. What would you do? Thanks in advance...
I wouldn't even consider checking out the automatic,,, just not right on a bike and you'd be missing out on half the fun. Being a little vertically challenged, I kind of like the idea of a reverse gear,,, but that can be added (after market) to a Harley,,, and regardless, I spend WAY more time going forward than I do backward. I would definitely rent the HD. But that's just me, and of course you should do what make you happy. Either way,,, have a great trip.

By the way: Just don't kid yourself about them being within $2 of each other. If you rent the Harley, as soon as you get home you'll be in the HD dealership taking advantage of '18 clear-out pricing (or winter pricing on a '19).

Old 11-18-2018, 10:25 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson
I've been riding a LONG time, I try not to generalize and try to keep an open mind about people...but GW riders are mostly arrogant and have serious attitude issues...like "My $hit don't stink and you're NOT on a GW!"

I have a great friend who just about has HONDA tattooed on his a$$ but does not have a GW. He didn't believe me when I told him my theory on GW riders until he tried to strike up a conversation at a gas station with one...guess what...he how agrees with me.

BMW riders are nearly as bad. Some folks just need a frigg'n chill pill and not take things so serious...especially when you're out to have fun and soak up the sun.

Hell, I'd talk to a turd if it would talk back...LOL
"I try not to generalize and try to keep an open mind about people".........good one.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:14 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I love my Harley.

Given the chance to rent/ride a new Wing, I think I may go for that. I saw the new Wing and like some of the new features. The Harley does have some electronic feature advantages - still, riding a different bike may give you an opportunity to see when you may want to go on your next purchase.

I moved from the Wing in 2004 - been on Harleys since then. People are people. Ride what you like. Wing riders wave just as much a Harley riders. By the way, I am a GWRRA Life Member - and still ride with the local GWRRA chapter from time to tome.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:51 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by peddler
"I try not to generalize and try to keep an open mind about people".........good one.
I remember from TV, I think it was GoT, "ignore everything that comes before the 'but'. . ."

Old 11-18-2018, 12:06 PM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

I'd go with the gw. Why not? Life is better with variety and being able to say, yah I've tried that. I bet its a nice easy cruiser that you won't wear yourself out to much on. Giving yourself all the more ability to just enjoy. Willing to bet it will be a sterile soulless ride and won't poison you against your Harley one bit. I've long said that if I ever found myself in Europe I'd rent a BMW. Not that I'm particularly into beemers, quite the contrary, but screw it. Why not?

Quick Reply: What would you do?