Sponsored by:

2019 CVO Roadglide

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 09:00 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
they are certainly nice looking, especially the ones where they stuck the "1" logo on them, but yep, lots of coin has to change hands to put one in my garage so I don't see that happening

even the supposed invoice price is $35,000 on the Road Glide. That's still a lot of money for a motorcycle
6113: I've got to ask. Every time I see a reference to the Harley No. 1 I cringe thinking of the last era during which Harley adorned their bikes with the No. 1 logo. Ah yes the 70s when almost everything they built was crap. Have you been able to suppress those memories or weren't you riding in the 70s? I still haven't been able to get past those memories.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:16 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

Originally Posted by peddler
6113: I've got to ask. Every time I see a reference to the Harley No. 1 I cringe thinking of the last era during which Harley adorned their bikes with the No. 1 logo. Ah yes the 70s when almost everything they built was crap. Have you been able to suppress those memories or weren't you riding in the 70s? I still haven't been able to get past those memories.
in 1976 I was 10 so not much Harley riding going on then. I think though it is a timeless logo that does look good and is part of the history of the company, good or bad. The way the designers incorporated it into this year's CVO is very classy looking with the paint scheme they chose. I would have no problem walking into the garage every day and seeing it on the bike.

I'm a big fan of Martin guitars and they too had huge problems in the 70's (must be a Pennsylvania thing) but subsequent years have proven that the company did turn around and some of those problems were fixable or repairable.

Neither of these problems from either company would keep me from buying a product of the era or promoting the same. I think it's a tribute to the logo and the company and there is no indication that the problems of the past are a problem of today.

If that's what you're asking.

The following users liked this post:
plongson (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 09:32 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,969 Likes on 2,358 Posts

in 1976 I was 10 so not much Harley riding going on then. I think though it is a timeless logo that does look good and is part of the history of the company, good or bad. The way the designers incorporated it into this year's CVO is very classy looking with the paint scheme they chose. I would have no problem walking into the garage every day and seeing it on the bike.

I was too young to be riding a Harley in the early 70's. I have always liked that "1" I have a few shirts with it on them.

I am hoping to have a bike in the Garage with the "1" on it, as it is well integrated into the overall paint.

In spite of all of Harley's issues, I would rather have one of them than the other choices. I have cross shopped many time. The Gray CVO in the back ground is my bike. Or was

Last edited by FLSTFI Dave; 11-24-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 11-24-2018, 09:42 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harrybeerbelly
as mentioned this is top of the line dream motorcycle stuff at 47k. However the dream top of the line car stuff costs much more. So still much less in comparison.

And you will never get the thrill of riding compared to driving a sports car.
I enjoy riding much more than a sports car.

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
That is a Stealership where that bike is. That is way over MSRP. MSRP is 42, 339

I would never pay over MSRP for a CVO, and never have. I have had 7 CVO bikes, and 2 of them were the first one the dealer delivered that year.
I enjoy my CVO Bikes, I usually put 24K miles a year on them. At 45k is when I usually trade for a new one.

I like sports cars also. But if I could only have one, at this point in my life it would be the bike. Maybe when I am older that will change. My 18 CVO Road Glide has 23950 miles on it. My 18 Grand Sport Corvette has 4700 miles on it. The 14 Corvette I traded for it only had 18K miles on it.

This fall on our ride out west.

My Grand Sport Price of admission is about double the cost of a CVO, and its not the top of the line. The ZR1 is, at $145,000

Old 11-24-2018, 09:45 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 523 Likes on 271 Posts
Thumbs down Not Worth It.

Originally Posted by plongson
Road down to the dealer on Saturday to BS and hang out for a while and in the showroom and on a pedestal was a super sweet 2019 CVO Roadglide...for $47,700.
What's my point? Man, that is sure a lot of hours in the salt mine.

Little entry bikes were like $22k. A company that according to the press and Wall Street is struggling, sure places high prices on their product.

Just an observation...
I was at a dealership looking at one of these for myself a couple of weeks ago, one thing I found that was very disappointing is Harley is changing out a lot of its metal parts for plastic the same way all Rice Burners are made.

Also, they don't come with SiriusXM Radio in them and you have to spend almost $1,000 (parts and labor), to get it, you would think at that price and it being a flagship bike for Harley it would have every bell and whistle, it doesn't.

The other thing I was told by the salesman, a whole hell of a lot of these are showing up at dealerships with damaged lower fairings that are getting damaged during shipping, the dealerships are having to send the panels out to be repaired and painted.

After all is said and done, tax, title and 'Fee's', you are talking somewhere in the neighborhood of $51,000.00 and some change, that's a hell of a lot of dough for a HOG, you could get a custom-made bike for that price.

In my personal opinion, these are extremely overpriced and are nowhere near worth that kind of money...

jd05flhtci (11-24-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 08:45 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm a big fan of Martin guitars and they too had huge problems in the 70's (must be a Pennsylvania thing) but subsequent years have proven that the company did turn around and some of those problems were fixable or repairable.

Neither of these problems from either company would keep me from buying a product of the era or promoting the same. I think it's a tribute to the logo and the company and there is no indication that the problems of the past are a problem of today.

Thanks for the insight. I think Harley did a great job incorporating the #1 into the 2019 CVO paint scheme. Next year will be my 50th riding season and I expect to spend every motorcycle mile on my 2016 Ultra Limited. Best bike of the 3 Ultras I've owned. I'm a big fan.

6113_ (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 09:17 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dispatch
I was at a dealership looking at one of these for myself a couple of weeks ago, one thing I found that was very disappointing is Harley is changing out a lot of its metal parts for plastic the same way all Rice Burners are made.

Also, they don't come with SiriusXM Radio in them and you have to spend almost $1,000 (parts and labor), to get it, you would think at that price and it being a flagship bike for Harley it would have every bell and whistle, it doesn't.

The other thing I was told by the salesman, a whole hell of a lot of these are showing up at dealerships with damaged lower fairings that are getting damaged during shipping, the dealerships are having to send the panels out to be repaired and painted.

After all is said and done, tax, title and 'Fee's', you are talking somewhere in the neighborhood of $51,000.00 and some change, that's a hell of a lot of dough for a HOG, you could get a custom-made bike for that price.

In my personal opinion, these are extremely overpriced and are nowhere near worth that kind of money...
Typical salesman who doesn't know what they are talking about. The CVO's do come with XM radio installed. They also come with a three month trail subscription, including weather and traffic. Now, it will not work on a bike that has not been sold. The new owner has to activate the xm radio.

I sure can not see how you can get to 50K on a CVO. How high is your sales tax? Even 10% of the MSRP the bike would be under 50K. What the heck are the fees they are adding in?

CVO road glide in my area can be had out the door for around 45K. Much less if you have a trade, as we only pay tax on the difference. Tax on mine will be 650 dollars

My local dealership has not had a damaged CVO road glide come in. They have sold five already.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:34 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 523 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
Typical salesman who doesn't know what they are talking about. The CVO's do come with XM radio installed. They also come with a three month trail subscription, including weather and traffic. Now, it will not work on a bike that has not been sold. The new owner has to activate the xm radio.

I sure can not see how you can get to 50K on a CVO. How high is your sales tax? Even 10% of the MSRP the bike would be under 50K. What the heck are the fees they are adding in?

CVO road glide in my area can be had out the door for around 45K. Much less if you have a trade, as we only pay tax on the difference. Tax on mine will be 650 dollars

My local dealership has not had a damaged CVO road glide come in. They have sold five already.
Well I did check the bike they had and it did not have SiriusXM on it, I owned Road Glides that did have it and it didn't show the feature on it, even the service department head said it needed the radio module installed.

Now if its a case of they were both lying about that, it wouldn't surprise me.

Checking the quote they gave me I stand 'slightly' corrected, it was $43,774 MSRP with freight and dealer prep, then add what they tagged on for tax, tag, and title plus dealer fees, totaling $3,987, for a grand total of $47,761, $2,239 just shy of $50,000.

That's still way too much for a HOG and those paint schemes aren't anything special in my opinion.

This dealership had two, I witnessed the first one's condition when they took me back into service to see it, the first did in fact have damaged panels that had been removed, it was in a red pepper & magnetic grey with black hole color, they also had one in mako shark fade that had to have its mufflers replaced due to damage it too received while in shipping.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:02 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Dispatch
Well I did check the bike they had and it did not have SiriusXM on it, I owned Road Glides that did have it and it didn't show the feature on it, even the service department head said it needed the radio module installed.

Now if its a case of they were both lying about that, it wouldn't surprise me.

Checking the quote they gave me I stand 'slightly' corrected, it was $43,774 MSRP with freight and dealer prep, then add what they tagged on for tax, tag, and title plus dealer fees, totaling $3,987, for a grand total of $47,761, $2,239 just shy of $50,000.

That's still way too much for a HOG and those paint schemes aren't anything special in my opinion.

This dealership had two, I witnessed the first one's condition when they took me back into service to see it, the first did in fact have damaged panels that had been removed, it was in a red pepper & magnetic grey with black hole color, they also had one in mako shark fade that had to have its mufflers replaced due to damage it too received while in shipping.

I get what you're saying but I would pay $3,100 here to the state on $43k so that's just part of doing business. So MSRP plus freight plus dealer take shouldn't be more than $47.5 and it looks like they are in the ballpark, a fair quote I would say. If a guy has that kind of money I don't see the problem.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:18 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
....I’ve probably got more than $40 into my SGS now, and still haven’t done wheels or forks. I should’ve just got the CVO
......... which is exactly how the MoCo sells every cvo it builds

Quick Reply: 2019 CVO Roadglide