Sponsored by:

cleaning under side covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 11:49 AM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default cleaning under side covers

It seems as if I ride more in the rain than in the sunshine. It has been wet for at least a couple of days each week for the past two months. That said, I spend a lot of time cleaning the bike. I removed the side covers and seat, and as you guessed it, it is disgusting in those locations. Does anyone use a plastic safe contact cleaner to get rid of the dirt and haze that is everywhere? If not, what do you use to get these nooks clean. Thanks in advance

Old 11-18-2018, 01:16 PM
otterhigh2
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to sound like a smart a## but soap and water works great, I figure if I can't put low pressure running water on it I probably shouldn't be riding in the rain anyway. I use a cotton toilet brush like a little mop on a stick.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:40 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,406 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Originally Posted by otterhigh2
Not to sound like a smart a## but soap and water works great, I figure if I can't put low pressure running water on it I probably shouldn't be riding in the rain anyway. I use a cotton toilet brush like a little mop on a stick.

Ditto.... soap, water, and a soft bristle brush if/when needed...

Old 11-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Harrybeerbelly
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I take the bags, seat and side covers off. Hit the whole bike with a foam spay gun. then rinse and wash. Then blow dry with master blaster.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:22 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrybeerbelly
I take the bags, seat and side covers off. Hit the whole bike with a foam spay gun. then rinse and wash. Then blow dry with master blaster.
master blaster?? didn't KISS sing that??

"Master Blaster, grab a hold of me faster
And if you wanna see my love, just ask her"..........

Old 11-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Harrybeerbelly
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 11-19-2018, 06:03 PM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for all of the replies I was just a tad nervous using soap and water around the fuses and other electrical connections. However if it got wet and filthy during the ride then a little stop and water wouldn't hurt. Rain here again for the next two to three days. YUK

Old 11-20-2018, 12:54 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts
Smile

Many years ago when i use to use Gunk and water to clean my engine on my 52 Hudson, 54 Buick and probably even on some of my later cars, i heated up the engine, shut it down and covered the carb, distributor, fuses etc. before spraying the gunk and then the water on the engine.

I would use the same technique, minus the gunk and water today but protect any electrical areas from anything i spray, rubber gloves and a cleaning product sprayed on a microfiber, a few small brushes will probably clean up the area good enough without causing any issues and the side panels themselves could be washed and waxed.

Maybe in the next month or so when i change all the oils, i'll jack it up, clean and polish the wheels, pull the saddlebags and side panels, put on some good music and spend a day in the garage, good therapy for me.

Last edited by 68 XLCH; 11-20-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:16 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,681 Likes on 824 Posts

I used Simple Green under the hood of my GTO. Spray it on, let sit a few minutes, hose it off. Worked pretty good.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:48 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Like the OP, I often think about cleaning these areas when I am in there doing something but never do as I have worked that I would short something out.

Ever since my trip out west, and getting routed on some dirt roads (both in the blac hills and Yellowstone), all my stuff is pretty dirty, might have to give some soap and water a go.

Quick Reply: cleaning under side covers