Sponsored by:

Bar swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 06:07 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Bar swap

Got the Kraus 12" Kickback risers, Forbidden Motorcycles bars and Kraus gauge bezel all installed over the weekend. Only issue I had was when I went to install my grips. About a month ago I added the HD Airflow heated grips to the bike, but when I went to add them to these bars it was a no-go, so they will be going up for sale soon. The built in internal temp control housing in the left grip is to large in diameter to slide into the inner diameter of the bar due to the extra thickness of the wall. So needless to say I new grips are on order.

Here are some pics of the change.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:12 AM
abadley
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks cool! I'm looking into a similar setup for my RGS.

The following users liked this post:
blueangel73 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Not loving it. But I have a radio that I want to see the face of.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:09 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by craigffb
Not loving it. But I have a radio that I want to see the face of.
I get that, but I only do two things with my radio, use the GPS which I mostly listen for, not seeing the projectory might or might not be an issue, I will see.....or maybe not. The other thing is I listen to my smart phones apps; Spotify, Pandora, SirriusXM or iTunes. I have a mount for the phone that allows me to change it up because the radio doesn’t. I just need get the mount to work on the smaller diameter bar.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 AM
LABoomer
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just picked up my bar set up from Kraus the other day for my road glide, just cant find time to get them installed yet. I'm practically going with the same set up as you height wise but with their raptor plate to get that extra little pullback because of my shorter arms, so that should help. For your set up did you have to do any wire or clutch/brake cable extensions?

Old 01-09-2019, 06:12 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by LABoomer
I just picked up my bar set up from Kraus the other day for my road glide, just cant find time to get them installed yet. I'm practically going with the same set up as you height wise but with their raptor plate to get that extra little pullback because of my shorter arms, so that should help. For your set up did you have to do any wire or clutch/brake cable extensions?
As seen in the pics above, I did not have to extend or replace anything. I do want/plan to move my gauge to the back side (rider side) of the riser. I ordered a second arm for the bezel to do this, I'll see if I like the location. If I do I will have to extent the gauge harness. because it will be about 5-10" to short depending on routing.

As to you use of the raptor plate, I would suggest when you pull the top tree to remove the stock risers and install the new stuff, mount the riser alone without the plate and temp install the tree, put the bar on and sit on the bike and see how it feels. You might be surprised how close the bars are. Decide if you still want to use the plate then, easier to get more of a refund on an unopened product then an open or installed one.

The picks below were taken off an 18' RG that had the Raptor plate with a 10" riser on. It shows how they routed the harnesses. I plane to rewire mine to follow this cleaner path, minus not having the plate to go under. Providing it for you to get an idea. I am not sure if this will require the need for wire extensions. But it shouldn't change the brake and clutch routing which worked out fine.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:14 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Looks Good BA

Interested in hearing your thoughts after riding with the changes for a while

Old 01-21-2019, 09:36 PM
LABoomer
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally got a chance to get my raptor plate and riser installed today with no problems at all, but when it came to the handlebar its become a struggle. My problem with it is that the holes for the wires to pass through on the FM/Fly handlebar doesn't line up with the riser hole in the center. So when I try to install it with the riser clamp the wires get pinched in between the bar and riser and it doesn't sit flush. I'm wondering if I bought the wrong FM/Fly handle bar from my local Harley. I'm thinking of just making a new hole or widening the holes for the wires to pass through on the bars. Did you have any trouble like this or did all your wire holes just all lined up?

Last edited by LABoomer; 01-21-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:43 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
As seen in the pics above, I did not have to extend or replace anything. I do want/plan to move my gauge to the back side (rider side) of the riser. I ordered a second arm for the bezel to do this, I'll see if I like the location. If I do I will have to extent the gauge harness. because it will be about 5-10" to short depending on routing.
Yours did not come with 2 arms? Mine came with 2 of them, one was longer than the other.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:33 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by LABoomer
I finally got a chance to get my raptor plate and riser installed today with no problems at all, but when it came to the handlebar its become a struggle. My problem with it is that the holes for the wires to pass through on the FM/Fly handlebar doesn't line up with the riser hole in the center. So when I try to install it with the riser clamp the wires get pinched in between the bar and riser and it doesn't sit flush. I'm wondering if I bought the wrong FM/Fly handle bar from my local Harley. I'm thinking of just making a new hole or widening the holes for the wires to pass through on the bars. Did you have any trouble like this or did all your wire holes just all lined up?

If you look at the same bars on the Kraus site they run about $20 more then elseware. This is because they add a larger hole in the center of the bar. You bar does not have this hole and is the reason you are running into this issue.

Quick Reply: Bar swap