2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it impossible to get good service anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:42 AM
rcn1963
Tourer
Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

I have no complaints about Paradise, but I would recommend Salem if it's not too far out of the way. My one and only trip to Latus was to get a quote for a set of clock werks ergo bars, installed. They quoted me $1600, installed. Bars and installation was under $500 at Salem HD. That was winter rates which is usually half price. They did good work and I didn't feel like they were padding the price. They even did an adjustment to pull the bars back a few days later at no cost. They might just be treating me well because I bought the bike and have all my services done there...but I've felt like I was treated fairly from day one.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 828 Posts

I had a muffler fall off after a rear tire service, it was 2 weeks later and I didn't waste my breath. I just never go to that dealer again. Luckily there are several in this area.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:58 PM
Berthmark
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Your deflectors look great I like em! And yes I would be pissed they didn't wipe off the wheel for sticking the weights on. Common sense and such a simple task

Old 01-08-2019, 05:52 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

There is a reason Harley went up on the price of the service Manual; too many folk doing
their own maintenance. They are losing money.
This little event here should explain to Harley why a lot more guys do their maintenance
instead of visiting the dealer. As much as they charge, you shouldn't have to wonder if
what you pay for isn't quality work.
The sales manager at my dealer even told me; "we have to take whatever help we can get."

I guess; "if you want it done right; do it yourself."

Old 01-08-2019, 06:05 PM
milleda31
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, it's not so much the wheel weight (easy fix), but the thought of what else didn't they do.

Just doesn't instill confidence.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:52 PM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by milleda31
Yeah, it's not so much the wheel weight (easy fix), but the thought of what else didn't they do.

Just doesn't instill confidence.
Absolutely. Some things are so basic, so common-sense, that it destroys any expectation of competence when you see someone screw it up. It’s like a mechanic sitting in your brand new car with greasy clothes, or leaving a fingerprint on the inside of your new crystal on your Rolex.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 AM
motorcycleboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can beat that.

The dealership here in Fort Myers, Florida forgot to bolt my rear caliper on after my last rear tire. I found out- when it came off the rear rotor while going over a bridge at 60+.
I literally had a 2 week-old daughter that I almost left behind that day.
Service Manager said “this stuff happens.” Clearly a direct reflection of his expectations.
Never again.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:00 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

If I paid $400 plus dollars for a new rear tire (installed) I would be very pissed off. I would definitely make sure the manager/owner heard about this.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:33 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Exactly why I don’t let anyone turn wrenches on my bike except for me.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:37 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Regardless if the rim was dirty or not, they should have at least cleaned the area where the weights went. I know that wasn't a cheap service, so I know I would be pissed. At the very least, I would call the service manager and tell him what happened. Who knows, you might get a free service, although that might not be a good thing after all. Maybe a free t-shirt for your troubles?

Question - When you say "changed out the hubs", did you mean wheel bearings?
Please do this. The service manager needs to know what his employees are doing when he/she is not watching. This is terrible work and the scratch on the rim is unacceptable as well. Ask them how much it cost to fix or replace, this is hundreds of dollars worth of a scratch there.

Quick Reply: Is it impossible to get good service anymore?